Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best live acts you've seen

Comments

• Albert Lee, of course.
    Not simply a guitar masterclass, but musically uplifting and valid.
    Saw him in some music venue pub in North London somewhere.
    Superb gig.
  • I miss playing gigs. Before lockdown, our main band (I'm the drummer in two, and dep in another) would play gigs every Friday and Saturday. Funk and soul. We were tight. Going to be well rusty now. 
  • Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them 

Obear, Bernie, Phil Knight?  Or the other bar? Ernie etc?
    Lol Ernie was one I think. Stewart, Lloyd, plus brother Craig for sure. Keef maybe, and Rod possibly but unlikely. All from back bar saloon. I'll try and rack brains on the others and then remember there were only 2 of us..
  • Saw Mark Knofler and David Gray in Concert in Indianapolis on different dates last year they were outstanding but without doubt the best was ELO in Chicago last July, Having first seen them at Madison square garden in Ny in 1977 they sounded as good as ever if not even better.
  • edited November 2020
    Estelle; in Hop Store 13 at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin, September 2009
    Tom Jones; in Hop Store 13 at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin, September 2009
    Kasabian; in Hop Store 13 at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin, September 2009

I've only ever been to one live music event. It was in Hop Store 13 at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin in September 2009.

Edit; I lied - I also saw Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino in Las Vegas in 1986...too young to appreciate it if I'm honest..
  • Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them again that night.

Stranglers at the Roundhouse about the same time for similar reasons. We got in a few beers and bands at the Fiddlers Elbow beforehand. Seen the Stranglers many times and never disappointed with their new and old stuff. Most notable venue was Battersea open air, about 1978. Skids, Spizz Oil and a surprisingly good Peter Gabriel in support.

Buzzcocks at the Coco and Mick Jagger are stand outs. Always pogoed near to where Steve Diggle was playing as he could make you feel like you were flying

Loved seeing Selecter play. Great "get up and dance" music and a very sexy Pauline Black on vocals. She can command an audience and very be attractive without the need to resort to being obvious, if you get my drift.

Secret Affair, back in the day and now, played my most iconic music. In the late 70s when I came out of their gigs I felt that we ruled the world. Ian Paige always seemed pissed off but delivered consistently good vocals and still does. Cairns on lead guitar just soared.

My favourite has to be the Skids at the Marquee in 78 or 79. Favourite band at my favourite venue - hot smelly and sticky, just like a punk venue should be. I felt like I'd arrived after that gig. It seemed like a sort of pinnacle. Got a feeling they recorded TV Stars live that week. All I can say is Albert Tatclock, Albert Tatlock...

Really miss my live Charlton, but missing gigs just as much. There are a stack that have been pushed back from this year to next and I can't wait. At least with a gig you never come out feeling pissed off!

Must have gone to some of the same gigs as you. Saw the Skids, The Selecter, The Beat, UB40, The Chords, The Vapours and plenty of others. One of my favourites was The Rezillos supported by The Undertones at the Marquee (tickets were £2). Was probably going to see three or four gigs a week back then.

I saw Secret Affair at the Bridge House in Canning Town several times - bizarre little venue in the middle of nowhere.

It's really strange looking at some of the old posters from the Marquee from 78-80 for me and how cheap the tickets were. I saw an awful lot of bands there.

•  At least with a gig you never come out feeling pissed off!

It's what I always say.
  • Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them 

Lol Ernie was one I think. Stewart, Lloyd, plus brother Craig for sure. Keef maybe, and Rod possibly but unlikely. All from back bar saloon. I'll try and rack brains on the others and then remember there were only 2 of us..
    I’m good pals with Ern. Quiz with him most weeks.  I was an Animal bar lad. Drank in the coach through most of the mid to late 80s. 
  • Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them again that night.

Stranglers at the Roundhouse about the same time for similar reasons. We got in a few beers and bands at the Fiddlers Elbow beforehand. Seen the Stranglers many times and never disappointed with their new and old stuff. Most notable venue was Battersea open air, about 1978. Skids, Spizz Oil and a surprisingly good Peter Gabriel in support.

Buzzcocks at the Coco and Mick Jagger are stand outs. Always pogoed near to where Steve Diggle was playing as he could make you feel like you were flying

Loved seeing Selecter play. Great "get up and dance" music and a very sexy Pauline Black on vocals. She can command an audience and very be attractive without the need to resort to being obvious, if you get my drift.

Secret Affair, back in the day and now, played my most iconic music. In the late 70s when I came out of their gigs I felt that we ruled the world. Ian Paige always seemed pissed off but delivered consistently good vocals and still does. Cairns on lead guitar just soared.

My favourite has to be the Skids at the Marquee in 78 or 79. Favourite band at my favourite venue - hot smelly and sticky, just like a punk venue should be. I felt like I'd arrived after that gig. It seemed like a sort of pinnacle. Got a feeling they recorded TV Stars live that week. All I can say is Albert Tatclock, Albert Tatlock...

Really miss my live Charlton, but missing gigs just as much. There are a stack that have been pushed back from this year to next and I can't wait. At least with a gig you never come out feeling pissed off!

Must have gone to some of the same gigs as you. Saw the Skids, The Selecter, The Beat, UB40, The Chords, The Vapours and plenty of others. One of my favourites was The Rezillos supported by The Undertones at the Marquee (tickets were £2). Was probably going to see three or four gigs a week back then.

I saw Secret Affair at the Bridge House in Canning Town several times - bizarre little venue in the middle of nowhere.

It's really strange looking at some of the old posters from the Marquee from 78-80 for me and how cheap the tickets were. I saw an awful lot of bands there.

Well, talking about live acts I saw two girls getting off under a table at the Bridge House.
    I can't remember the gig. 
  • edited November 2020
    Fleetwood Mac/Bob Marley &the Wailers/Dave Edmunds - Kaiserlautern June 1980 Fantastic day!
    Led Zep (with Bonzo) Mainheim (had a Union Jack and Plant acknowledge us and said over the mic “what’s the weather like back at home?”)
    Santana
    The Who (many occasions but the last Quadrophenia gig at the O2)   
    Waters - The Wall
  • Sponsored links:

• As a lockdown project back in the Spring, with the help of some ticket stubs and the internet, I compiled a list of all the gigs I’d ever been to. Between 1973 (aged 8) and 2017, 37 artists, and 75 gigs.

Out in front was John Martyn, seen 14 times between 1981 and 2004. Most memorable were probably the first one, Hammersmith Odeon in 1981, and the last one at Cheltenham Town Hall in 2004 which was post leg amputation.

Other stand out shows:

Miles Davis - his 1982 comeback gig at the Hammy O
    Bob Dylan at Brixton Academy in 1995, supported by a solo Elvis Costello
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads at the Lyceum in 1981 and 1982
    The Pogues - St Patrick’s Night, 1988, with Kirsty McColl for Fairy Tale....and Joe Strummer singing London Calling in the encore
    Tom Waits -  Hammy O in 1987 
    Pixies, seen 4 times between 1989 and 1991

I seem to remember paying a similar amount for the Lyceum on a Sunday night, for 5 bands. Secret affair are playing a few London venues and the Mick Jagger next year. Once we know when things will start getting back to normal I'll start planning a few gigs next year and let you know, see if you fancy coming along.

I’m good pals with Ern. Quiz with him most weeks.  I was an Animal bar lad. Drank in the coach through most of the mid to late 80s. 

Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them 

Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them 

Give Ernie my best wishes; Nige (Sue's brother). 

I seem to remember paying a similar amount for the Lyceum on a Sunday night, for 5 bands. Secret affair are playing a few London venues and the Mick Jagger next year. Once we know when things will start getting back to normal I'll start planning a few gigs next year and let you know, see if you fancy coming along.
    Sounds good. Really surprised they are still going.

Saw The Chords at the 100 Club in 2018 - nearly 40 years since I last saw them. They played there last year with Department S who I used to like back in the day.

• Jimi Hendrix - Bromley Court Hotel '67
    Kevin Ayers & The Whole World - Implosion gig Roundhouse '70
    The Byrds with Gram Parsons - Roundhouse all nighter '73
    Leonard Cohen - Apollo London '80

• Jimi Hendrix - Bromley Court Hotel '67
    Kevin Ayers & The Whole World - Implosion gig Roundhouse '70
    The Byrds with Gram Parsons - Roundhouse all nighter '73
    Leonard Cohen - Apollo London '80

Always amazes me the bands who performed at the Bromley Court Hotel and The Chislehurst Caves.
  • edited November 2020

Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them again that night.

Saw The Chords at the 100 Club in 2018 - nearly 40 years since I last saw them. They played there last year with Department S who I used to like back in the day.

Was that The UK Chords with Chris Pope?

I went to Buddy Ascot’s 60th Birthday bash last year at the 100 Club. He played with 6 bands he’s been a member of over the years (including a friend’s who got me in).

Billy Hassett, the Chords singer, who wasn’t scheduled to appear plus the other original members, minus Pope, played together at the end.

It was a brilliant night.

• Two from 1978. The Clash at the Lyceum was the best Clash gig of the dozen or so I saw, and my number one live concert. Didn’t rate them at Lewisham Odeon.  The Talking Heads at the Croydon Greyhound the same year was fantastic. Salsa diva Celia Cruz at the Hammersmith Palais in the late 80s was another stand out gig. 

Was that The UK Chords with Chris Pope?

I went to Buddy Ascot’s 60th Birthday bash last year at the 100 Club. He played with 6 bands he’s been a member of over the years (including a friend’s who got me in).

Billy Hassett, the Chords singer, who wasn’t scheduled to appear plus the other original members, minus Pope, played together at the end.

It was a brilliant night.

It was The Chords UK with Chris Pope - very enjoyable. 

Was Vic there?! Chords were one of those great bands that just didn't translate that well on to vinyl. Thought Secret Affair were the same. It lacked the punch of a live gig. I assume it was a deliberate attempt by recording studios to soften the sound and make it more commercial.

Love the 100 club. The pillars make it hard to see the stage but its a good "punk" venue
  • Sponsored links:

• The Jam         - music of my youth
    Joy Division   - knew nothing about them when I went to see them - an incredible gig 
    Rival Sons      - best band of recent years for me and brilliant live
    Recently heard a rumour from a reasonable source that The Jam may have a reunion in 2021, don't know if that would be a one-off, tour or something else though.
    Joy Division   - knew nothing about them when I went to see them - an incredible gig 
    Recently heard a rumour from a reasonable source that The Jam may have a reunion in 2021, don't know if that would be a one-off, tour or something else though.
    Will be stunned if they have a reunion - can't believe Weller would go for this. Not sure if it would be a good idea?

Was Vic there?! Chords were one of those great bands that just didn't translate that well on to vinyl. Thought Secret Affair were the same. It lacked the punch of a live gig. I assume it was a deliberate attempt by recording studios to soften the sound and make it more commercial.

Love the 100 club. The pillars make it hard to see the stage but its a good "punk" venue
    I quite liked the records the Chords made- definitely reflected the period.

Department S made some great singles - sadly Vaughan their original vocalist died far too young.
    Will be stunned if they have a reunion - can't believe Weller would go for this. Not sure if it would be a good idea?
    Doubt Rick Buckler would be up for it either.
    Doubt Rick Buckler would be up for it either.
    I think Weller has been back on terms with Bruce Foxton for a few years, but Buckler is a different matter. I’ve never seen PW even hint that he’d consider it.
  • Pink Floyd - Pulse - Earls Court 1994

• Solidgone said:
    Fleetwood Mac/Bob Marley &the Wailers/Dave Edmunds - Kaiserlautern June 1980 Fantastic day!
    Led Zep (with Bonzo) Mainheim (had a Union Jack and Plant acknowledge us and said over the mic “what’s the weather like back at home?”)
    Santana
    The Who (many occasions but the last Quadrophenia gig at the O2)   
    Waters - The Wall
    I got acknowledgement from Finley Quaye, in the form of a thumbs up, for throwing a bottle at him even though it werent me.
  • edited November 2020
    Happy the Man
    Patti Smith
    Elvis
    Rolling Stones
    Fleetwood Mac
    Nightwish
  • ramones
    the prodigy
    the damned
    lawnmower deth
    alice donut
  • New York Dolls - Meltdown 2004
    Bill Haley and the Comets - Woolwich 1979
    Steve Marriott - any time I saw him
    The Clash - Lewisham 1980
    Love with Arthur Lee - Queen Elizabeth Hall 2002
    Robyn Hitchcock - untold times, perhaps on a little boat travelling to the Isle of White is one to choose.
    Living Colour - Astoria 1988
    Mudhoney, Tad and Nirvana - Astoria 1989

I will revisit this list in a few weeks and probably change the whole thing.