Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best live acts you've seen

Comments

• Options
    Squeeze- Kentish Town 
    Simple Minds- various
    Depeche Mode- various 
    Tears For Fears- Various
    Human League 
    New Order 

Got tickets to Genesis and Simple Minds pending COVID 

• Options
    Muse at Wembley Stadium in 2007. Pretty much a perfect set.
  • Options
    Queen at Wembley stadium 1986,  first time I'd ever been to a concert
    Neil Diamond Wembley Arena mid 90s, was really great
  • Options
    Queen at Wembley stadium 1986,  first time I'd ever been to a concert
    Neil Diamond Wembley Arena mid 90s, was really great
    I saw Neil Diamond in 2002 at Earls Court. He was very, very good. 
  • Options
    Simply Red in the pouring rain in August at Warwick Castle. Outstanding. Joss Stone with the Royal Philharmonic on the South Bank. Very underrated is Joss.
  • Options
    The Jam         - music of my youth
    Joy Division   - knew nothing about them when I went to see them - an incredible gig 
    Rival Sons      - best band of recent years for me and brilliant live
    Just reading Stephen Morris’ book - very good so far.
    Only went to see Joy Division because the gig I wanted to go to was cancelled and my mate who liked them persuaded me to go even though I wasn't keen. They completely blew me away and Ian Curtis was just an amazing frontman.

The gig was in a tiny pub. Looking at the advert for the concert the tickets were £1.50. Such a great time to see bands in the late 70s/early 80s given how cheap tickets were and the number of venues. 
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Nine Below Zero, 1980. Support for the Alman Brothers who were blown off the stage by them.
    I saw Nine Below Zero support The Who, I think it was around 1980/1 ish. 
    It was the last show at Lewisham Odeon, it closed that night. 
    One of the best evenings, music wise, I have ever had. 
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Nine Below Zero, 1980. Support for the Alman Brothers who were blown off the stage by them.
    They always reminded me of Dr Feelgood.
  • Options
    Too many in my life to mention... god I miss the Astoria 

White Stripes - Astoria 01, just a fell in love with a girl was kicking off
    Arctic monkeys - Astoria 05, just before Bet you look good.... got to number 1 (what a set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2005/london-astoria-london-england-3bd0a804.html)
    Muse - Reading Festival 00
    Gorillaz - First ever gig - Scala 01 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Loads of memorable gigs for me but the best:
    Nine Below Zero at the Tramshed were awesome as was Georgie Fame
    Joy Division / John Cooper Clarke Supporting the Buzzcocks at Hammy Odeon
    Buzzcocks at Woolwich Poly
    Secret Affair supporting the Pretenders at the Marquee 
    Any Jam gig
    Merton Parkas at the Green Man in Plumstead with Squire 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every February there is an outdoors concert at the Mission Vineyard, near Hastings, east coast NZ north island.  The first concert was Kiri Te Kanawa and the second Ray Charles which we went to.

There was drama as the band arrived in NZ, their pockets bulging with Marijuana.  I’d never looked forward more to a concert more and wasn’t disappointed even though Ray was only on stage 40 minutes.  But ...  at least I got to see the great man.

the following year we went to see Dionne Warwick.  Not a patch.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Nine Below Zero are still going. Seen them a few times in the last 10 or so years, they’re still brilliant.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Nine Below Zero are still going. Seen them a few times in the last 10 or so years, they’re still brilliant.
    I think Denis Greaves still does blues concerts at the Pelton Arms. Nice little venue in East Greenwich.
  • Options
    The Police , tooting Bec common , Tommy Cooper was the support act .
  • Options
    red10 said:
    I think Denis Greaves still does blues concerts at the Pelton Arms. Nice little venue in East Greenwich.
    He does (well he was before this year).

They are cracking nights, saw him do a warm up gig with The Truth there 2 or 3 years ago then the open blues night after. 
  • Options
    I'm going back a fair bit here,  but of all bands I've seen it has to be Motorhead. Hammersmith odeon early eighties I think, just incredible (I couldn't handle it now)
  • Options
    Magma at the Roundhouse 1974
  • Options
    red10 said:
    I went to that, what a great gig!!!
  • Options

I saw The Police in the their prime doing a Secret gig via invitation at the Marquee, love it because Stewart Copeland is my favourite dummer (and underrated) but Sting was still up his own arse, I think it was around 1981.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many bands especially in the early 80s. Favourite live band were Big Country. Always great gigs. Saw them loads. 
  • Options
    Manic Street Preachers in Bradford a few months before Richie Edwards disappeared. An hour set, no in between song banter, smashed out the tunes then off with no encore. Ace.

ZZ Top when I was twelve at Monsters of Rock, Castle Donington. Bluesy.

Marillion, Liverpool Royal Court, 30th December ‘86. Pre-hootenanny goodness.

The Selecter, Leeds Duchess about 1990. Grotty venue with a few good mates. Skatastic.

Coheed and Cambria, the Cockpit in Leeds about 2004. Quite simply brilliant.

Metallica, Bradford Kings Hall in ‘86 on the Master of Puppets tour. Loud, sweaty and awesome.

Michael Jackson, Leeds Roundhay Park in ‘89. Sublime showmanship.

A group of Mongolian throat singers busking in Amsterdam in about ‘05. Transcendental. 

Really missing live music. 
  • Options
    Prince suprise gig at the Electric Ballroom a few years ago. 3 hour set, 2 encores, rowdy crowd in an intimate venue for the same price as a cafc Papa John's trophy matchday stream.
  • Options
    Stone Roses Wembley Stadium @2017
    Inxs Wembley Stadium @1991
    Theatre of Hate Lyceum @1981
    The Cure Wembley Arena @2016
    Had completely forgotten about Theatre of Hate - used to be a big fan and saw them live a few times. 
    My mate Clive is playing sax with them these days. 

I saw Spear of Destiny at ULU last September and our Theatre of Hate gig keeps getting cancelled.
    "Due to the current Coronavirus outbreak THEATRE OF HATE + GUESTS
    at 229, London on 13/12/2020 has been rescheduled and will
    now take place on SUNDAY, 04/04/2021". 
  • Options
    wwaddick said:
    Loads of memorable gigs for me but the best:
    Nine Below Zero at the Tramshed were awesome as was Georgie Fame
    Joy Division / John Cooper Clarke Supporting the Buzzcocks at Hammy Odeon
    Buzzcocks at Woolwich Poly
    Secret Affair supporting the Pretenders at the Marquee 
    Any Jam gig
    Merton Parkas at the Green Man in Plumstead with Squire 

I was at the Buzzcocks Woolwich Poly gig.
  • Options

Was he by the swings?
    MJ was a genius. I saw him live in 92. There is not one piece of evidence to say he did anything wrong. James Safechuck has had another personal claim thrown out of court. They're a couple of chancers.
  • Options

Was he by the swings?
    MJ was a genius. I saw him live in 92. There is not one piece of evidence to say he did anything wrong. James Safechuck has had another personal claim thrown out of court. They're a couple of chancers.
    Jacko was just a regular guy like Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Was he by the swings?
    Robson was turned down for a lucrative job as a choreographer in Cirque Du Soleil by the Jackson family. Safechuck had multiple publishers refuse to publish a book he wished to release (didn't wish to report the abuse to the authorities. Just write a book). Then they both realise at the same time that they had been abused, at exactly the same time, having also testified in court in 2005 that nothing happened. 🤔
  • Options

Was he by the swings?
    Robson was turned down for a lucrative job as a choreographer in Cirque Du Soleil by the Jackson family. Safechuck had multiple publishers refuse to publish a book he wished to release (didn't wish to report the abuse to the authorities. Just write a book). Then they both realise at the same time that they had been abused, at exactly the same time, having also testified in court in 2005 that nothing happened. 🤔
    Like Savile he was never convicted.