Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best live acts you've seen

Comments

• Wilson Pickett Rainbow (I think) 1971

Wedding Present Brixton Academy Sea Monsters Tour 1991/92 ?

The Cure Earls Court 1996 I think, Saw them midweek & they were OK saw them on the Saturday & they were absolutely brilliant also got invite to after show party as mates brother was working for security. Went through to this massive area behind the stage where tour coaches etc were parked & we quickly realised this wasn’t the proper after show party as there were just a couple of portacabins there but there was food & loads of cans of lager so it was a sort of after party for hangers on.  :D

Dubliners Dublin Vicar Street 29/12/12 With the passing of the last original member Barney McKenna the band decided to retire the name, next day was the last Dubliners concert couldn’t get tickets for that so made do with 2nd to last one. Amazing atmosphere & all the classic songs + bar about 20 paces from my table. Much Guinness & Black Bush sunk that night.

• edited November 2020

Michael Jackson, Leeds Roundhay Park in ‘89. Sublime showmanship.

Was he by the swings?
    MJ was a genius. I saw him live in 92. There is not one piece of evidence to say he did anything wrong. James Safechuck has had another personal claim thrown out of court. They're a couple of chancers.
    Jacko was just a regular guy like Jimmy Savile.
    Robson was turned down for a lucrative job as a choreographer in Cirque Du Soleil by the Jackson family. Safechuck had multiple publishers refuse to publish a book he wished to release (didn't wish to report the abuse to the authorities. Just write a book). Then they both realise at the same time that they had been abused, at exactly the same time, having also testified in court in 2005 that nothing happened. 🤔
    Like Savile he was never convicted.
    Shit response. Savile was never tried.
  • Status Quo, anytime (numerous for me) anywhere.
  • hmmoore said:
    Status Quo, anytime (numerous for me) anywhere.
    I watched them from the front row at Hammersmith the night before my maths CSE, The morning after at Erith Comp,just stared at a paper that made no sense with my ears ringing,I failed magnificently .
  • I've been fortunate to see some fantastic bands over the years. One's that stood out were 

Foo fighters 
    Aerosmith 
    The who
    Muse
    Chas N Dave 

But by far the best band I've ever seen live is THUNDER.  Criminally underrated.  Danny Bowes voice & his crowd interaction are 2nd to none 
  • Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart at Hampton Court
    Madeleine Bell at Ronnie Scotts
    The Platters at the cabaret place north of the Dartford Tunnel ( can’t remember the name ).
    Rolling Stones at the 02. Had never liked them - realised I had been so wrong for 45 years.

• Faith No More - Brixton Academy (show was released as a live album

Nirvana Supporting Godflesh and L7 - Astoria and headlining  at Reading 1992.

New Model Army (playing as Raw Melody Men) - The Venue New Cross

Mudhoney - The Venue New Cross

Oranger - The Betsy Trottwood in Farringdon 

Saw Doctors - An afternoon at Glastonbury circa 1991

Oasis - The Venue New Cross and The Marquee Club

The Bellrays - Camden Barfly

Alien Sex Fiend - Camden Underworld (first ever gig)

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Koko Camden

Carter USM - several New Cross Venue gigs and at Brixton Academy

Stone Roses - Wembley 2017

The list will probably be different tomorrow.
  • Status Quo (more times than i can remember) The Best Live
    Paul Rodgers (support to Quo)
    Steeleye Span (Support to Quo
    Stray (at Black Prince Bexley)
    Chicken Shack ( Black Prince Bexley)
    Michael Jackson (Wembley 1986) excellent
    T'Pau (support to Quo)
    Dumpys Rusty Nuts (support to Quo)

• edited November 2020
    I was at the Buzzcocks Woolwich Poly gig.
    And me. And Bolloxbolder.

The Huddersfield 7-6 of gigs :-)
  • Back in the eighties I used to go to the Royal Albert in New Cross and I saw a band called Barflies. They were superb.
    Another good band from that era were The Forest Hillbillies I saw them a few times as well.
    Although I love the atmosphere of a large concert, I don`t think you can beat the intimate setting of a small venue. It seems more personal, no matter how big or small the band is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two threads. One man. Best gig John Martyn 1982 with Danny Thompson. Glasgow somewhere. Mesmeric. Worst gig. 1983. John Martyn. Glasgow somewhere. Walked (that’s exaggerating) on stage. Sat on a stool. Said something like “shlweempthdnb”. Fell off stool. Crawled offstage. Announcement “sorry folks Mr Martyn is unwell”.   Legend. RIP big Muff. 
  • Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band......so many gigs at so many different venues.
    Simply Red Royal Albert Hall.
  • The Boss. Followed by The Boss.

A mention to Ian Dury and The Blockheads though
  • OMD
    Texas
    Walter Trout 
  • A couple of Stranglers gigs about 1981/2 stand out - they were always good, but had had a run of disasters like  Hugh Cornwell being locked up, all their equipment getting nicked and a commercial slump etc. They did some dates about the time La Folie came out and before Golden Brown was put out as a single, and they really went for it. I saw them at Hammersmith Palais and the Rainbow (with the seats out) and it was strictly the hardcore fans - so much black clothing on view it was like an undertakers convention. Absolutely great stuff.

Another good ‘un was when Elvis Costello fancied making a noise again in 1994 and got the Attractions back together and toured for a couple of years. It wasn’t long before he fell out with Bruce Thomas again but I saw him at the Albert Hall and it was thunderous. I think with all the friction in the band, they played every song like it was the last encore of the last gig they ever played.

And, about a year before he died, Ian Dury and the Blockheads at Blackheath, I’d missed him first time round but it was worth the wait.

• @Davo55 @Addick Addict. Add me for the Boss. First time the one Davo mentions in July 85 at Wembley, made a 72k stadium feel intimate. Then 26 years later he's playing Eden Stadium  in Prague and still going for 3 stonking hours. 

@eastterrace6168  Stray at the Black Prince. Oh yes. Several times. 

And Sigur Ros, Prague 2008, where half the crowd hardly knew what to expect. We walked out with vaguely stunned looks on our faces, as if we'd encountered aliens who turned out to be friendly and liked a good time.
  • I got taken to see Miles Davis as a kid which was one of the most memorable gigs I went to - none of the music made sense to me at the time. 
  • Floyd at Earl's Court, 81
    Roger Waters - KAOS (Wembley), The Wall at O2
    Quo, Hammie Odeon in the 80s
    Chickenfoot at Brixton Academy
    Deep Purple at an impromptu gig in Albert Park after the Melbourne Grand Prix, 2001.

Love small venue gigs: Huw Lloyd Langton, Bob Calvert, Larry Wallis at the Marquee, Roundhouse and Dingwalls.  
    Tom Jones at a private charity gig under Waterloo Station was special.
    Seeing the Macc Lads at the Marquee during the Poll Tax riots was memorable but not for the gig!

Best pub band live was the Hamsters for me.
  • The Cure Earls Court 1996 I think, Saw them midweek & they were OK saw them on the Saturday & they were absolutely brilliant also got invite to after show party as mates brother was working for security. Went through to this massive area behind the stage where tour coaches etc were parked & we quickly realised this wasn’t the proper after show party as there were just a couple of portacabins there but there was food & loads of cans of lager so it was a sort of after party for hangers on.  :D

I was there. I decided to drink Stella for some strange reason and ended up so pissed I missed most of it :-(
  • Stone Roses - Spike Island
    The Pogues - Brixton, St Pat’s 1988(ish)
    Spacemen 3. - Oxford Poly 89
  • Sponsored links:

• Lindisfarne (supported by Genesis and Rab Noakes)
    Genesis at Drury Lane
    Went to both the above twice

10cc at Hammersmith Odeon
    Only went once!

So many more. I'm a small venue fan, a regular at The Marquee in the early seventies where Stackridge, Wild Turkey and Jack The Lad were my favourite act.
  • Seen many live acts over the years and I'm probably gonna get slated for this but Coldplay were fantastic live. Also a shout for Bette Midler at the O2 a few years back didn't want to go but wow was she good!
  • Lindisfarne (supported by Genesis and Rab Noakes)
    Genesis at Drury Lane
    Went to both the above twice

10cc at Hammersmith Odeon
    Only went once!

So many more. I'm a small venue fan, a regular at The Marquee in the early seventies where Stackridge, Wild Turkey and Jack The Lad were my favourite act.
    The Marquee was probably my favourite venue.
  • Kate Bush at Hammersmith in 2014
    Coldplay at Crystal Palace sports stadium in 2005
  • Billed as Ike and Tina Turner but just Tina,was she good or was she good. Black Prince Bexley late 60's
  • Chas and Dave many times at the Orchard in Dartford and at Royal Albert Hall - very underrated musicians (especially Chas) and just a great night out - wish I had gone to a gig where Albert Lee joined them on stage, he is a superb guitar player

Also, Black (Colin Vearncombe) at Royal Albert Hall - excellent

RIP Chas and Colin
  • Billed as Ike and Tina Turner but just Tina,was she good or was she good. Black Prince Bexley late 60's
    Didn't she have a backing band ? Ike played guitar on stage
  • Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them again that night.

Stranglers at the Roundhouse about the same time for similar reasons. We got in a few beers and bands at the Fiddlers Elbow beforehand. Seen the Stranglers many times and never disappointed with their new and old stuff. Most notable venue was Battersea open air, about 1978. Skids, Spizz Oil and a surprisingly good Peter Gabriel in support.

Buzzcocks at the Coco and Mick Jagger are stand outs. Always pogoed near to where Steve Diggle was playing as he could make you feel like you were flying

Loved seeing Selecter play. Great "get up and dance" music and a very sexy Pauline Black on vocals. She can command an audience and very be attractive without the need to resort to being obvious, if you get my drift.

Secret Affair, back in the day and now, played my most iconic music. In the late 70s when I came out of their gigs I felt that we ruled the world. Ian Paige always seemed pissed off but delivered consistently good vocals and still does. Cairns on lead guitar just soared.

My favourite has to be the Skids at the Marquee in 78 or 79. Favourite band at my favourite venue - hot smelly and sticky, just like a punk venue should be. I felt like I'd arrived after that gig. It seemed like a sort of pinnacle. Got a feeling they recorded TV Stars live that week. All I can say is Albert Tatclock, Albert Tatlock...

Really miss my live Charlton, but missing gigs just as much. There are a stack that have been pushed back from this year to next and I can't wait. At least with a gig you never come out feeling pissed off!

• Cardiacs. Any gig from 85 to about 88. Pure mad unbridled joy 

• Sex Pistols, Brixton - 2007 I think. Its a great venue; not too big to get near the band, but big enough for a decent crowd. It was a bit "singa longa Jonny", but I was just pleased to get to see them again, and it was the  biggest mosh I can remember.  Good turn out of about 13 ex Dartford Coach and Horses boys with lots of pre match beers. After 10 minutes in the mosh I lost them all and didn't see any of them 

Obear, Bernie, Phil Knight?  Or the other bar? Ernie etc?