Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo

Comments

• Options
    Very slightly off the pace yesterday but was solid enough....I think the management and backroom staff will have been happy enough.
    Let’s face it, apart from the great goal we scored, it was just about the only other positive thing that we can take from our visit to Highbury Stadium.
  • Options
    Looked our best and most composed defender even though he was rusty and hadn't played for months.
    Many of us thought he's put on some weight, so he probably has. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    even clearly rusty he’s a massive upgrade over Pearce & Deji.

he’s become undroppable after one game at 75%, says a lot about the rest of them.

I don’t think Bows can afford to rest him at Burton
    He will. You bet.

Welcome back, Pearcy.

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

he’s become undroppable after one game at 75%, says a lot about the rest of them.

What is it about Deji that some just need to slag him off.
    He is doing a good job in a makeshift defence and has probably been the only consistently good defender since his return.
    He has made very few mistakes but let's remember he is a League one defender not Virgil van Dyke (who when playing also made a few mistakes).
    I thought that Akin and Deji formed a good partnership on Saturday considering they had never played together before. 

Yep keep them together the RCB spot is Oshilaja's to lose.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

He is doing a good job in a makeshift defence and has probably been the only consistently good defender since his return.
    He has made very few mistakes but let's remember he is a League one defender not Virgil van Dyke (who when playing also made a few mistakes).
    I thought that Akin and Deji formed a good partnership on Saturday considering they had never played together before. 

My thoughts exactly. Deji is a good players who makes some awful mistakes, similar to Sarr. If he didn't make those errors he wouldn't be playing in League 1. He's more than capable as a 3rd/4th choice CB and actually one of the first name on the teamsheet at the moment. 
  • Options
    Think Deji and akin make a good partnership at this level.
  • Options
    Deji is not a good player, he’s a decent defender at this level but his technique and passing are awful.

he’s committed and trying hard but al being made to look good by the others who’ve played there.

If we want to go up next season he should not be the starting CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

My thoughts exactly. Deji is a good players who makes some awful mistakes, similar to Sarr. If he didn't make those errors he wouldn't be playing in League 1. He's more than capable as a 3rd/4th choice CB and actually one of the first name on the teamsheet at the moment. 
    But he hasn’t made any really noticeable mistakes for a while now as far as I’m concerned ......been solid enough and well worth his place.
    Apart from heading the ball straight to the Gills player gifting them a goal start.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Deji is not a good player, he’s a decent defender at this level but his technique and passing are awful.

he’s committed and trying hard but al being made to look good by the others who’ve played there.

You said: "He's not a good player, but a decent defender at this level ......" ?

Whatever he may lack in technique, you said it yourself, he's a decent defender at this level.
    Well, that's the level we are at.

After all, there's not too many world class CBs playing in the Third Division right now.

I remember the old Southampton manager, Lawrie MacMenemy saying after his under-rated side finished runners up in the top tier - something like:
    "To make a successful side, you need 9 virtuoso players and a couple of roadsweepers."

Maybe, Deji is a roadsweeper. But he's doing his job. And at the moment, often the glue that's holding the defence together.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Maccn05 said:

I believe they played together against Lincoln and Sunderland (but these were at the start of the season, so can't recall how well they did back then).
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

But he hasn’t made any really noticeable mistakes for a while now as far as I’m concerned ......been solid enough and well worth his place.
    His header for Gillingham's first was poor, and the incident with Pearce against Peterborough. Totally agree he's worth his place though, I was calling for him to be picked before he was and he's probably been our best player over the last 10 games. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

His header for Gillingham's first was poor, and the incident with Pearce against Peterborough. Totally agree he's worth his place though, I was calling for him to be picked before he was and he's probably been our best player over the last 10 games. 
    The incident for the the Peterborough 1st goal was down to Pearce leaving his man - and challenging with Deji at the same time for the ball.
    Inevitable consequences when 2 CBs go for the same ball.

If Pearce had stayed with his man the situation wouldn't have happened.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Maccn05 said:

The incident for the the Peterborough 1st goal was down to Pearce leaving his man - and challenging with Deji at the same time for the ball.
    Inevitable consequences when 2 CBs go for the same ball.

If Pearce had stayed with his man the situation wouldn't have happened.

I don't disagree. At the time I said Pearce takes more of the blame, and I still feel that way. I still feel it was poor from Deji, he was backing off JCH, letting the ball bounce and communication looked poor from both. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Maccn05 said:

You said: "He's not a good player, but a decent defender at this level ......" ?

Whatever he may lack in technique, you said it yourself, he's a decent defender at this level.

After all, there's not too many world class CBs playing in the Third Division right now.

I remember the old Southampton manager, Lawrie MacMenemy saying after his under-rated side finished runners up in the top tier - something like:
    "To make a successful side, you need 9 virtuoso players and a couple of roadsweepers."

Maybe, Deji is a roadsweeper. But he's doing his job. And at the moment, often the glue that's holding the defence together.

Being a decent defender is the absolute least we should expect.

The guy is trying but my comment about him not being a good player is based on how uncomfortable he is with the ball at his feet and his awful passing. If we are a team that are looking to go places we need to be able to play through the thirds and keep the ball.

Deji regularly misses his man and often into touch and him a JP are a big reason why we are playing front to back so much, the difference is stark when you see Akin come back in - he has the composure and ability to not just lump it away.

He deserves his place right now as the best performing of a bad bunch but as soon as Inniss is back he stood be stood down.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Maccn05 said:

Being a decent defender is the absolute least we should expect.

The guy is trying but my comment about him not being a good player is based on how uncomfortable he is with the ball at his feet and his awful passing. If we are a team that are looking to go places we need to be able to play through the thirds and keep the ball.

Deji regularly misses his man and often into touch and him a JP are a big reason why we are playing front to back so much, the difference is stark when you see Akin come back in - he has the composure and ability to not just lump it away.

He deserves his place right now as the best performing of a bad bunch but as soon as Inniss is back he stood be stood down.
    Fair enough, I wouldn't argue with that.

But perhaps Lawrie McMenemy could have added: "Don't play both your roadsweepers alongside each other!" :smile:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Maccn05 said:

Oshilaja headed the ball into our penalty area against Gillingham instead of the other way and set up their first goal. As with Pearce and Gunter, their individual basic errors have cost us goals.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Maccn05 said:

Oshilaja headed the ball into our penalty area against Gillingham instead of the other way and set up their first goal. As with Pearce and Gunter, their individual basic errors have cost us goals.
    It's the only mistake that he's directly responsible for that's cost a goal.

Funny how people drag that up - and totally overlook all the good stuff he's done that have prevented conceding more goals.
    Since his return to the side, he's consistently been our best defender.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're only responding to "he hasn’t made any really noticeable mistakes for a while now as far as I’m concerned".
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dodgy Deji is just Naby Sarr minus the redeeming qualities of flair and expansive passing. He makes just as many, if not more, silly errors as Sarr used to, some costing goals, some he gets away with. In between times he looks very solid, but you're never totally comfortable he's not going to drop a rickett at any moment. Likeable lad and no doubt he's trying and is committed so I won't ever get on his back, but he shouldn't be any more than a squad player for a club with ambitions of promotion. To be fair, though, that is clearly how Bowyer intended to use him but circumstances have meant he's had to be used as a regular starter.

There have been more individual errors in general than should be expected from the players we have. Maatsen you can excuse a little on in experience, but Gunter has been no where near as reliable as I would expect from an experienced player playing as low as League 1 for the first time (with his age you can excuse getting done for pace once in while, but he's been let down by his positioning, composure and reading if the game too often). Matthews was our best defender in the Championship and looked at home at that level, but has been a accident waiting to happen whenever he's played this season.
  • Options
    Dodgy Deji is just Naby Sarr minus the redeeming qualities of flair and expansive passing. He makes just as many, if not more, silly errors as Sarr used, some costing goals, some he gets away with. In between times he looks very solid, but you're never totally comfortable he's not going to drop a rickett at any moment. Likeable lad and no doubt he's trying and is committed so I won't ever get on his back, but he shouldn't be any more than a squad player for a club with ambitions of promotion. To be fair, though, that is clearly how Bowyer intended to use him but circumstances have meant he's had to be used a regular starter.

There have been more individual errors in general than should be expected from the players we have. Maatsen you can excuse a little on in experience, but Gunter has been no where near as reliable as I would expect from an experienced player playing as low as League 1 for the first time (with his age you can excuse getting done for pace once in while, but he's been let down by his positioning, composure and reading if the game too often). Matthews was our best defender in the Championship and looked coat home at that level, but has been a accident waiting to happen whenever he's played this season.
    Something to do with having a 1st choice CB pairing missing for a large chunk of the season?
    Plus a midfield that's always being rotated?

The side is never settled ..... the uncertainty of it all can make it difficult for any of the fullbacks to perform consistently.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Dodgy Deji is just Naby Sarr minus the redeeming qualities of flair and expansive passing. He makes just as many, if not more, silly errors as Sarr used, some costing goals, some he gets away with. In between times he looks very solid, but you're never totally comfortable he's not going to drop a rickett at any moment. Likeable lad and no doubt he's trying and is committed so I won't ever get on his back, but he shouldn't be any more than a squad player for a club with ambitions of promotion. To be fair, though, that is clearly how Bowyer intended to use him but circumstances have meant he's had to be used a regular starter.

There have been more individual errors in general than should be expected from the players we have. Maatsen you can excuse a little on in experience, but Gunter has been no where near as reliable as I would expect from an experienced player playing as low as League 1 for the first time (with his age you can excuse getting done for pace once in while, but he's been let down by his positioning, composure and reading if the game too often). Matthews was our best defender in the Championship and looked coat home at that level, but has been a accident waiting to happen whenever he's played this season.
    Something to do with having a 1st choice CB pairing missing for a large chunk of the season?
    Plus a midfield that's always being rotated?

The side is never settled ..... the uncertainty of it all can make it difficult for any of the fullbacks to perform consistently.

I know where you're coming from Oggy, but unsettled sides shouldn't be an excuse for not being able to pass to a team mate 10 yards away who you have a clear line of sight to.

I've said many times on here though, attacks thrive on confidence, defences thrive on familiarity. The team shape, tactics, and personnel have changed too often this season and you will never develop a clear understanding in your defending if you do that.

Some of it has been unavoidable due to injuries and suspensions, but a lot of it has been by choice and, even as a Bowyer apologist, I have to lay the blame for that at Bowyer's door. He tinkered in 18/19 as well, but it was essentially either a diamond or 532 and the only real change in the defence was Bielik flipping between defence and deep lying midfielder. Sarr and Pearce swapped around, but mostly Pearce played the first half of the season and Naby the second. It was settled enough that it could withstand a little bit of adjustment here and there. Right now the whole team, and particularly the defence, never looks comfortable, no matter what system and who plays. That says to me that we just need to pick a team and a shape and then play it. Play it and train it and play it and train it with as fewer changes as injuries/suspensions will allow and ignoring who the opposition are, until we get good at it. Once we're settled and have a base formation, our comfort zone, if you like, then we can start to try and mix it up a bit. Ideally a tactically uncomplicated shape like 442.

We might continue to play shite for a number of matches because we're so out of form and confidence but I'm pretty sure eventually we'd start to see improvements and I believe it is our most direct route out of this malaise. The only alternative is gambling on a managerial change and a new manager bounce (which only ever worked for us when Bowyer came in) and there's no guarantee any upturn that might produce would be sustainable.
  • Options
    Exiled, I think we all agree with this.
  • Options
    Any news on Inniss?
  • Options
    Cheers Clive.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!