Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akin Famewo

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Such a shame. He looked excellent and I'd go as far as saying he made Innis look a little better than what I think he might with a lesser CB partner.
    If he goes back it must be because Norwich want him back rather than we don't want to keep him. IMO he's the best CB we have, much more poise and a calming influence, and can pass the ball alright too. As Mendonca said he made Inniss look better too in my opinion, who I think would come unstuck a bit more without someone as capable next to him, that's not a dig on Inniss, just think Famewo was the bigger influence to our run of clean sheets and impenetrable back line.

I would hope Bowyer sees this too and will do whatever he can to keep him in the team, I hope the recent news pieces on whether he'll stay have been a bit of gameship on Bowyer/Gallen's part
  • Options
    I don't know. Famewo was a great match with Inniss but I wouldn't underestimate the latter's aerial dominance in both boxes. 
  • Options
    Unless recovery from his injury is difficult to predict, it would be lunacy to consider sending him back without a certain replacement lined up.  He's a star at this level.  If Norwich pull the plug, that's life, that's what we signed up to and one would hope replacement(s) is/are just a phone call and signature away.
    Even if he and Inniss are right on the cusp of a return an extra centre half is the recruitment priority, Pearce is able cover at this level but we have nobody else with any experience.  Any talk of Oshilaja as a starter is deluded nonsense, he's not nearly good enough anywhere.
    Fingers crossed Akin and Ryan are on the mend and then stay injury free... 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Such a shame. He looked excellent and I'd go as far as saying he made Innis look a little better than what I think he might with a lesser CB partner.
    If he goes back it must be because Norwich want him back rather than we don't want to keep him. IMO he's the best CB we have, much more poise and a calming influence, and can pass the ball alright too. As Mendonca said he made Inniss look better too in my opinion, who I think would come unstuck a bit more without someone as capable next to him, that's not a dig on Inniss, just think Famewo was the bigger influence to our run of clean sheets and impenetrable back line.

I would hope Bowyer sees this too and will do whatever he can to keep him in the team, I hope the recent news pieces on whether he'll stay have been a bit of gameship on Bowyer/Gallen's part
    If we send him back it'll only be because he won't be available for 2 months AND as a result we're "wasting" £1300 a week of our allowed salary budget
  • Options
    Reminds me of the old "Football Manager" game that you used to be able to play on an Excel spreadsheet. As soon as a decent player got injured you'd sell him because you needed the dough for a replacement.

That said, all things considered and as good as he was for us, I think we should probably send him back if he's not going to be available now for another two months, or so. There's no telling how long he will take to get back to full match fitness and then he may just break down again anyway.

Much better to use our limited slots/wages to get someone in now who can actually play now.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Reminds me of the old "Football Manager" game that you used to be able to play on an Excel spreadsheet. As soon as a decent player got injured you'd sell him because you needed the dough for a replacement.

That said, all things considered and as good as he was for us, I think we should probably send him back if he's not going to be available now for another two months, or so. There's no telling how long he will take to get back to full match fitness and then he may just break down again anyway.

Much better to use our limited slots/wages to get someone in now who can actually play now.

But even if Famewo does go back to Norwich, there's always the risk that a replacement gets quickly injured.
    That would be just our luck!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Off_it said:

But even if Famewo does go back to Norwich, there's always the risk that a replacement gets quickly injured.

Easy answer to that.
    Just sign another player that's injured.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Off_it said:

Easy answer to that.
    Just sign another player that's injured.

Am I supposed to laugh at that, Chris? :neutral:

• Options
    Any word on his expected return? Sure i remember seeing recently that he was expected back for Peterborough. Hopefully they didn't mean the home game!

I'm assuming he had a setback but how bad is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Any word on his expected return? Sure i remember seeing recently that he was expected back for Peterborough. Hopefully they didn't mean the home game!

Back training with the squad tomorrow apparently.
    Great news. Hopefully on the bench for Rochdale then and can maybe start and do 65-70 v Gillingham the week after.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:

Great news. Hopefully on the bench for Rochdale then and can maybe start and do 65-70 v Gillingham the week after.
    Having two natural CBs playing side by side in the defence will make a difference I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Off_it said:

Obviously !? but that’s a risk you take with footballers every day. Surely better to have a player that signs that isn’t injured, than keep one who is ? 
  • Options
    I can’t wait to see him back, good job we have not got any Saturday / Tuesday games for a while, unless the fixtures on my phone have not updated properly!!
  • Options
    Given we are without our two first choice centre halves, it is unfortunate we have played more games than others. Seeing as we had played less not that long ago, we have played these in a weakened state. Not that we could do much about it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Off_it said:

Obviously !? but that’s a risk you take with footballers every day. Surely better to have a player that signs that isn’t injured, than keep one who is ? 
    As you said, it's a risk you take with footballers every day.

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Our squad?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Our squad?
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Our squad?
    Yes.
    Just checking  It would be so Charlton to get him fit and then lose him right at the end of the window.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Our squad?
    Yes.
    Just checking  It would be so Charlton to get him fit and then lose him right at the end of the window.
    I would guess Akin has done much of his rehabilitation back at Norwich?
    More long term injured loan players tend to return to their parent club for treatment.

If that's the case, Norwich will already be up to speed with his progress and recovery?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be a bit off if they recalled him now. I suspect they won't.
  • Options
    It would be a bit off if they recalled him now. I suspect they won't.
    Norwich were a bit thin on the ground for CBs after a number of injuries recently, weren't they?

They had cash in the bank for selling their star CB in the previous window.
    Have they splashed the cash on a replacement yet?

• Options
    They don't exactly need him. Top of the Championship, 7 points clear of 3rd and the 3rd best defensive record.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry. There's more chance of him coming back and re-injuring himself with us than there is of Norwich recalling him.
  • Options
    Interesting central defensive partnership for Saturday.
    Don’t be silly, DJ is slotting in at right back after Smyth departed. 
  • Options
    Interesting central defensive partnership for Saturday.
    Don’t be silly, DJ is slotting in at right back after Smyth departed. 
    Don't be silly, he's primarily right footed, he's going left back. Maatsen at RM, Schwartz is right back
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    AKIN'S BACK! 
    I hit the sack
    He's been gone too long, I'm glad he's back
    Yes he's, let loose
    In his boots...
    Jason Pearce couldn't fill those shoes
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!