Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will the 20/21 season end via PPG?

Comments

• Have you noticed that as every week passes we get lower in the PPG table. Strange that. 
    We're a pretty terrible team, nothing strange.
  • Updated following last nights fixtures. 

Hull will actually be the team to have played the most games tonight. A loss will take them to 

Doncaster & Accrington will still have 2 in hand on us after tonight. 

• Hull will actually be the team to have played the most games tonight. A loss will take them to 

Don't leave us hanging Dazzler
  • ..just before we go on "our winning run" (c) 
  • edited February 2021
    Is anyone any good with spreadsheets able to help me? 

I have a spreadsheet I am working on,

I have two tables, one for every game we have played this season and one for collective player stats (I do not intend to infringe on the statbank with this btw) 

Table one looks like this: 

Table two like this: 

Now my problem is that Goals Scored column in sheet 2. I am using the COUNTIF Formula to highlight the whole goalscorers column and provide a count of cells with "*Aneke*" in. But Aneke being a good scored two goals against Rochdale... How do I count that extra goal if it's already in a cell that contains his name once? 

Actual formula used
    =COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke*")
    Is there a way to count instances of Aneke as opposed to cells containing Aneke or Washington who also scored two vs Fleetwood?

• In other news: 

• edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is anyone any good with spreadsheets able to help me? 

I have a spreadsheet I am working on,

I have two tables, one for every game we have played this season and one for collective player stats (I do not intend to infringe on the statbank with this btw) 

Table one looks like this: 

Table two like this: 

Now my problem is that Goals Scored column in sheet 2. I am using the COUNTIF Formula to highlight the whole goalscorers column and provide a count of cells with "*Aneke*" in. But Aneke being a good scored two goals against Rochdale... How do I count that extra goal if it's already in a cell that contains his name once? 

Actual formula used
    =COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke*")
    Is there a way to count instances of Aneke as opposed to cells containing Aneke or Washington who also scored two vs Fleetwood?
    I would be tempted to try this:
    =COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke*") + COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke(2)*") + 2*(COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke(3)*") ) + 3*(COUNTIF(I3:I49, "*Aneke(4)*") )
    so you count the all instances of his name then add on the appropriate number of additional goals where they crop up. However it's likely to be affected by formatting quirks in the data, such as whether you leave a space between the name and number of goals scored. Unfortunately I can't test it as my spreadsheet software doesn't recognise the wildcards as wildcards.
    It's probably safer (if a bit of a pain in the arse at this stage of the season) to reformat the sheet to put GS, GC and Pts after the sub info and then have columns for GS1, GS2, GS3 etc and AS1, AS2, AS3 etc. That way you just put each individual scorer in the relevant cell, and set it to count the cells in the ranges without worrying about any wildcard business. You might want to add a few extra columns just in case we tonk someone at some point, so you don't have to amend all the formulas again, and then once you've sorted out the basic functionality just hide columns GS6-GS9 and AS6-AS9 so you don't snort with derision at the optimism of their existence every time you open the sheet.
    So if the goal scorer data is now in columns I to Q rows 3 to 49 on sheet 1, and the individual player data starts with Aneke in cell A2 on sheet 2 then you can use:
    =COUNTIF(Sheet1.$I$3:Sheet1.$Q$49; A2)
    so it's looking to see what is in cell A2 on the current sheet, and counting all the instances of that value on sheet one between I3 and Q49. I've tested it, and this one definitely works. The advantage of doing it this way is that you can then fill down on the current sheet for all the other players rather than having to hard code the names in the formulas, while the dollar signs fix the reference range that they're looking at so that doesn't get shifted too when you move down the column. (I appreciate I may be teaching you to suck eggs on this point, but am including the explanation for any masochistic bystanders).
    Does that help at all?
  • Thanks Ali, yeah I didn't really want to break the format of the sheet, but it's looking increasingly like I might have to.

Really annoying that doing a ctrl F in that column it returns the correct number! 

• Update on PPG ahead of tonight and I'll ask if people want these updates to continue?

If not this was the last one and I am including the GPG and CPG for each side too

• Keep it coming stattoDazzler 
  • Sponsored links:

• I find the ppg table really interesting, as the only way to see a true representation of where we are in the table

Personally I think the artificial nature of us staying in the top 6 for a long time has masked our poor results. Similarly the hyperbole about Man City's poor start to the season was massively exaggerated because they had played fewer games.
  • edited February 2021
    After last night:

• Dazzler21 said:
    The two CAFC's sticking together. At the current rate on Sunday we could be 7th or 15th. 

FUN!

Shrewsbury & Fleetwood will be in touching distance of overtaking us in time for next week. 

MORE FUN!

If we don't break our run of form and be 17th at the end of next weekend!

• The really good news if that our actual position is nigh on the same as our PPG position. The bad news for those that backed us, on the basis of buying money, is that we look more likely to finish in the bottom half of the table.

How we can go from 22 points from 10 games to then getting the same number of points from the next 21 matches is absolutely bizarre - it's almost as if someone flipped a switch and we've been playing in the dark since that winning run. 

• 11th is an absolute joke I'm afraid.
  • 11th is an absolute joke I'm afraid.
    Still 11th on PPG. Blackpool are in the false Accrington position with so many games in hand.

Accrington wasted theirs, will Blackpool do the same?

• edited March 2021
    Have merged the two tables to save on copying & pasting data. 

• Sponsored links:

• Blackpool are the wildcard in terms of the playoffs, with several games in hand, but can they convert them into points?

A minor formatting correction to your table, 4 teams get relegated from L1.
  • Blackpool are the wildcard in terms of the playoffs, with several games in hand, but can they convert them into points?

A minor formatting correction to your table, 4 teams get relegated from L1.
    Huh! Weird!

adapted for future. 
  • Looks like you'll need at least mid 70's points wise to get into the play offs - and that might only get you 6th and 80 points for 5th and above. So, from our remaining 11 games we'll need at least 7 wins & 4 draws - and NO defeats. Or 8 wins and a couple of draws - and ONE defeat.

not going to happen. 
  • Looks like you'll need at least mid 70's points wise to get into the play offs - and that might only get you 6th and 80 points for 5th and above. So, from our remaining 11 games we'll need at least 7 wins & 4 draws - and NO defeats. Or 8 wins and a couple of draws - and ONE defeat.

not going to happen. 
    There will likely be a small reversion to the mean so 72-74 points is likely to be enough for 6th - it has been for the last number of seasons where a full season was completed. We'd be unlucky to miss out on 72 points.

If it's higher than that, then we're in an unusual year (no sh*t we are)...

20 points from 11 games: six wins, two draws, three defeats.

not going to happen. 
    There will likely be a small reversion to the mean so 72-74 points is likely to be enough for 6th - it has been for the last number of seasons where a full season was completed. We'd be unlucky to miss out on 72 points.

If it's higher than that, then we're in an unusual year (no sh*t we are)...

20 points from 11 games: six wins, two draws, three defeats.
    But in your calculation you've gone for the lower mean figure of 72 rather than 74 and missed the point that our GD is far far worse than any of the other top 6 sides.

Therefore, a points total of around 75 might be needed by us to secure 6th, which means another 23 points. So needing 7 wins & 2 draws. Slightly better than my original post I grant you but something still totally out of reach imo.
  • edited March 2021
    Just for fun, if we win every last game, and everyone else continues current form, we finish 3rd on 85 pts

• edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

After Accrington lost on Wednesday, there's five teams from 6th to 10th on that PPG table, separated by three points.

Everything still to play for. A win tomorrow and our PPG expected points will increase from 70 to 72 and we're right back in the mix.

And guess what... tomorrow's fixtures: Pompey v Ipswich & Oxford v Blackpool. Points will be dropped around us.

Ipswich 73
    -
    Blackpool 72
    Oxford 72
    Portsmouth 70
    Charlton 70
  • edited March 2021