Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will the 20/21 season end via PPG?

Comments

• Saturday morning Famewo tests positive

"****" thinks Bowyer, both my main CBs out, and the EFL won't let me call off the game

Except that the other players who trained closely with him will now have to self isolate, and the number is enough to get Pompey called off. And too late to get tests done before the match...
  • se9addick said:
    Has there been loads of Postponements? Looking at the leagues, apart from Oxford, everyone has played at least 7.
    Yeah I’m not sure it’s as dire as it’s been made out in the OP, surprisingly few games postponed given that there’s a global pandemic taking place really. 

That’s not to say it won’t deteriorate but with so many real life things to worry about at the moment I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about hypothetical scenarios.  
    I'm with this one. Considering what has been going on with the pandemic since September I'm surprised not more games have been called off. Once you get to 4 or 5 games per division per week getting called off I don't really think there is much of a problem fixture wise. I even think fans might be let back into grounds once a vaccine is widely available, which may be in the Spring. Still hoping to see us win promotion in the flesh at Plymouth or Accrington.....
    You said before that they would be vaccine by December this year. 
    I don't think they'll be one until mid-2022 at best.
  • The Tuesday Saturday, Tuesday Saturday probably ought to continue to ensure leagues are ahead of the curve.
  • I’m expecting a 3/4 week shutdown around Christmas but barring that I think things will carry on as is. The Tuesday Saturday thing I think will be pretty much the norm until next season at least. The arrival of TS has stabilised us but think by next summer a number of clubs could be searching for new owners.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    As we stand: 

PPG Position
    True Position
    Team
    Games Played
    AccumulatedPoints
    Points Per Game
    Positions Moved up
    Lincoln City
    Peterborough United
    Hull City
    Ipswich Town
    Sunderland
    Doncaster Rovers
    Charlton Athletic
    Portsmouth
    Accrington Stanley
    Bristol Rovers
    Plymouth Argyle
    Crewe Alexandra
    Fleetwood Town
    Gillingham
    Rochdale
    AFC Wimbledon
    Oxford United
    Blackpool
    Wigan Athletic
    Northampton Town
    Shrewsbury Town
    Swindon Town
    Milton Keynes Dons
    Burton Albion
    Updated:

• The Tuesday Saturday, Tuesday Saturday probably ought to continue to ensure leagues are ahead of the curve.
    Good idea.
  • Updated as the last update was on mobile and didn't look right... 

• I hadn’t realised Accrington already have 3 games to catch up! 
  • Should we win on Tuesday and Peterborough, Ipswich and Lincoln fail to do so, all we need is the EFL to agree for the season to end with the start of lockdown on Thursday and based on PPG we will be declared Champions!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    We are part of the elite 6 levels of the football pyrimid. Football will carry on and be shown on TV etc because its one way of keeping the majority of folk indoors and not revolting.

Watching live 3 and 4 games a week for the last 9 weeks appears to be coming to a close for a month or more. I feel for the Part time Footballers who need their football fix as well as the money from football as many are not on fixed contracts. Some club houses are open while other operate under a marquee. 
    Social distancing and masks and temperatures taken on entry work ok with the few hundred fans that watch games in the lower tiers of football.

Football continued in the war (with makeshift teams not proper leagues obviously) and needs to in a pandemic.

I appreciate in top 6 levels that won't be possible for a while to have fans, most clubs could cope but others wouldn't be organized enough to keep social distancing.

Strange times but the show must go on with everyone playing 46 games even if we finish in June in the EFL.
  • edited November 2020
    Why won't the top 6 levels be able to play for a while?
    It has already been given the green light, unless you've heard differently? 
  • edited November 2020
    Why won't the top 6 levels be able to play for a while?
    It has already been given the green light, unless you've heard differently? 

Cheers CE,
    I have now edited to make sense with the rest of the post.

"I appreciate in top 6 levels that won't be possible for a while to have fans, most clubs could cope but others wouldn't be organized enough to keep social distancing"
  • With the PPG scenario that we are discussing, how does the EFL sort out any teams with games in hand, and dish out the correct points for those games, surely they are not just ignored but what would the fair calculation, bearing in mind we have Ipswich to play.
  • With the PPG scenario that we are discussing, how does the EFL sort out any teams with games in hand, and dish out the correct points for those games, surely they are not just ignored but what would the fair calculation, bearing in mind we have Ipswich to play.
    They should scrap the actual table and just look at the last 5 games form table obviously  ;)
    That’s the entire point of PPG, as you’ll have teams who have played different numbers of games/different oppositions so you take the number of points each team has accumulated and divide it by the number of games they have played to calculate the average points per game of each team.
  • se9addick said:
    With the PPG scenario that we are discussing, how does the EFL sort out any teams with games in hand, and dish out the correct points for those games, surely they are not just ignored but what would the fair calculation, bearing in mind we have Ipswich to play.
    That’s the entire point of PPG, as you’ll have teams who have played different numbers of games/different oppositions so you take the number of points each team has accumulated and divide it by the number of games they have played to calculate the average points per game of each team.
    That's the whole problem - our game in hand is against Ipswich, so in "real life" if we win it we would go above them & into 2nd. They (in theory) don't have that game in hand as they re-arranged their match against Blackpool for that round of games.

Therefore the whole PPG is flawed. 
  • Still don't think PPG is a fair resolution regarding teams denied the
    chance to accumulate points per game due to no fault of their own,
    If Oxford/Accrington Stanley to name but two had played and won their
    postponed games and won, their PPG would be higher.
    So where is the fairness when teams are playing different amount of games
    their PPG and therefor table position is potentially a lot higher.
    But on the flip side if Oxford / Accrington had played and lost the postponed games the PPG would be lower so it balances out.

The issue I have with PPG it doesn't take into consideration the strength of opposition faced and yet to face.

Peterborough had a huge issue with this last season I think they had all the teams at the bottom of the table to play at home. Adjust PPG to account for the league positions of the opposition played and it would be far more accurate.
    But on the flip side if Oxford / Accrington had played and lost the postponed games the PPG would be lower so it balances out.

The issue I have with PPG it doesn't take into consideration the strength of opposition faced and yet to face.

Peterborough had a huge issue with this last season I think they had all the teams at the bottom of the table to play at home. Adjust PPG to account for the league positions of the opposition played and it would be far more accurate.
    And you could have 2 teams with the following records after 16 games.

Team A - WWWWWWWDDLLLLLLL - 23 points
    Team B - LLLLLLLLDWWWWWWW - 22 points

Team A would be ahead on PPG if you stopped the season, but based on current form it would be incredibly unlikely Team B wouldn't overtake them in the next game or 2

Last season Hull were like Team A, plummeting before Lockdown, but if the season had been cancelled then they would have been safe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    se9addick said:
    With the PPG scenario that we are discussing, how does the EFL sort out any teams with games in hand, and dish out the correct points for those games, surely they are not just ignored but what would the fair calculation, bearing in mind we have Ipswich to play.
    That's the whole problem - our game in hand is against Ipswich, so in "real life" if we win it we would go above them & into 2nd. They (in theory) don't have that game in hand as they re-arranged their match against Blackpool for that round of games.

Therefore the whole PPG is flawed. 
    Our game in hand isn’t tied to any particular team - that’s not how it works even if it might be simpler to think of it in those terms. We’ve played nine, most other teams have played ten. Our points get divided by nine and there’s by ten. Simples.

Not saying I like PPG by any means. I still think ending the season after everyone plays each other once was/is the most sensible option. If you can’t get to 23 games, the season should be voided. If you pass 23 but can’t get to 46, revert back.
    Their game today is off as well so it will be 4 games, not sure how they are gonna start to fit them all in
  • Once we get into January (assuming these lower sides are not still in the FA Cup) is when they'll be able to reschedule some games.

Looking at the fixtures, there are games on 2, 9, 16 and 23 Jan so plenty of midweek slots for games. Same in the last 3-4 weeks of April and into May. So as long as sides don't get more called off due to Covid or even the weather as we get into the winter then they should be ok.
    Their game today is off as well so it will be 4 games, not sure how they are gonna start to fit them all in
    Chances are another team will have to cancel a series of games too

Harder for Accrington because they had to do it in a manic period of games though
    Chances are another team will have to cancel a series of games too

Harder for Accrington because they had to do it in a manic period of games though
    After our game against them at the Valley a couple of years ago I am struggling to feel sorry for them!
  • We’re top two right in ppg?
  • We’re top two right in ppg?
    I'll redo my spreadsheet now.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Poor old Peterborough losing out again (not that this is about to be used)