Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    I can barely wait for the 9.30 announcement tonight.
    MOTHER OF GOD!
    I couldn't give a monkeys either way but I am really pissed off at the timing!! 
  • Options
    Fine - let them go. Let them play in a meaningless tournament that no-one, apart from the clubs and TV, want. And it will be meaningless because with no relegation loads of the fixtures with nothing at stake will be basically friendlies.

At the same time, ban them from the Premier League. None of this playing your under 21s crap in the Premier League or cups. And tell them when they want to come back they will have to start in tier 4. 

Seriously, fight fire with fire. 

Personally, I find the vast majority of Premier League fixtures pointless these days anyway. The title winners are usually clear cut with about 6 months to go, as are the relegation candidates. Everyone else is just playing to make up the numbers. 
  • Options
    Excellent now they can all fuck off!
    Still this.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I can barely wait for the 9.30 announcement tonight.
    MOTHER OF GOD!
    I couldn't give a monkeys either way but I am really pissed off at the timing!! 

Too late the make the morning papers. All part of the plan. Surpised they did not announce it at 1am.
  • Options
    I’m not sure the American market is as big a people think. First, they’d have to play these games on the weekend. The US audience for a game that starts at 3pm on a Wednesday can’t be that big. Then they have to compete for airtime with all the big US sports. Americans might like to watch it, but they don’t miss it when it’s not on, and I’m pretty sure that they won’t pay extra to watch it, apart from the hardcore fans. 
  • Options
    I'd apply a ban to anyone who might play in the prospective superleague. You turn out for Arsechesterpool Hotspur and you can never play in the EPL/EFL again. How short will your career be then, especially if you're a fringe player anyway.
  • Options
    Looking forward to it the best teams in Europe playing in one league 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Where do all of the hoarded players go ? Presume theyl still expect to loan them out to Premier league/championship etc teams 
    The minor leagues, you will end up with a Man United affiliated club in Birmingham, Dublin and Edinburgh.  Is that how it works in the states? 
  • Options
    I would love it if 15 of the 20 EPL clubs (which is exactly how many you need to pass something) vote to penalize all the breakaway clubs 20 points THIS season. Nothing can technically stop this. I think the clubs should be crushed.
    yeah but that might mean west ham win the league and no one wants that. 
    Leicester win the league and West Ham are runners up.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Looking forward to it the best teams in Europe playing in one league 
    I know you are are on a wind up, but that won’t happen. Bayern Munich won’t be in it for starters. And Arsenal aren’t even the 10th best team in the Premier league so fuck knows why they will be in this suggested league. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'd apply a ban to anyone who might play in the prospective superleague. You turn out for Arsechesterpool Hotspur and you can never play in the EPL/EFL again. How short will your career be then, especially if you're a fringe player anyway.
    I’m not sure you can do that - restraint of trade laws would come in effect. And you can’t punish players currently under contract for decisions made by their employer. 

If the clubs are no loners recognized as members of a FIFA recognized association, you can probably ban them from international competition, but I suspect that the limit of what you can legally do. 

I wonder if they can bans loans from these teams - that would mess up Chelsea. 
  • Options
    England could tell the clubs that leave the price to come back into the English system when the SL fails is $1 billion each and they can begin in the National League and work their way back up.
    i would go further and say if you leave, when you come back you start at the bottom of the pyramid
  • Options
    How will this impact TS's aim for European football? 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Those who say they don't care should reconsider.

If this league actually happens then TV money plummets for whatever is left over. In lower leagues some clubs will disappear without the money that TV contracts sent down the pyramid. It's not like the remaining clubs get all the money the Big 6 clubs formerly made in the league.... they get far, far less. NBC in the USA and broadcasters in other countries are not going to pay billion dollar fees to broadcast Norwich vs Burnley. What remains of the EPL (economically) becomes a glorified Championship. That might be fun to watch but the money will dry up and with it, many clubs too.
  • Options
    I’m not sure the American market is as big a people think. First, they’d have to play these games on the weekend. The US audience for a game that starts at 3pm on a Wednesday can’t be that big. Then they have to compete for airtime with all the big US sports. Americans might like to watch it, but they don’t miss it when it’s not on, and I’m pretty sure that they won’t pay extra to watch it, apart from the hardcore fans. 
    Do they though?

US Sports are played in their evenings when it's the early hours of the morning in Europe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How will this impact TS's aim for European football? 
    I think the pre-season tour of Denmark is still on. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I think nothing will come off this if all the leagues and associations stand firm. A small league that covers only three countries would not generate as much revenue as they hope, kick them out of all FIFA or EUFA sanctioned competitions and ban any players in it from playing for their country.  People saying about the big six leaving would destroy part of our game, well other clubs would eventually fill the void.
    Also ban any youth player registered with them clubs from representing their country at respective levels and to keep the ban in place if they leave the club. So basically if you sign schoolboy forms with that club, you’ll never represent your country.
    should also ban any loaning of players from any of those clubs.
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Those who say they don't care should reconsider.

If this league actually happens then TV money plummets for whatever is left over. In lower leagues some clubs will disappear without the money that TV contracts sent down the pyramid. It's not like the remaining clubs get all the money the Big 6 clubs formerly made in the league.... they get far, far less. NBC in the USA and broadcasters in other countries are not going to pay billion dollar fees to broadcast Norwich vs Burnley. What remains of the EPL (economically) becomes a glorified Championship. That might be fun to watch but the money will dry up and with it, many clubs too.
    If TV Contracts go down, players salaries reduce.  If football holds it nerve in this country the sport will be fine

I disagree with that view. Players all over the world will all have the goal of making the Super League. Good players might be offered more to play in the academies of big clubs that actually play in what is left over. I contend no one in the USA would even bid for TV rights of the EPL with those clubs gone. There has never been a period since the end of wage limits in England that players have made less money and it won't start now. At least for good players. Hoping "football holds its nerve" after the creation of a SL if they do not hold their nerve to stop the SL in the first place, seems unlikely.
  • Options
    Interesting that French and German clubs have given this a swerve. Reports seem to suggest this is being pushed the hardest by the Spanish clubs, who are all in financial holes of differing depths 
  • Options
    Do they though?

US Sports are played in their evenings when it's the early hours of the morning in Europe. 
    That’s my point - prime time viewing is the evening. 7pm here in Boston is midnight in London. Are they going to play then, and that’s still only 4pm on the west coast. For the fit rest few months of the season, Saturday afternoon is college football, Sunday afternoon is the NFL. They will not be able to compete against them. They will be fighting over the scraps from off-hour programming. Saturday/Sunday mornings thru early afternoon.