Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I can't see how this works. Surely with the money involved in TV deals etc a super league would kill some clubs.

Look at someone like Leeds for example, they have splashed the cash on some decent players so they can compete in the best league in the country.

If a UEFA super league is introduced then surely that makes the Premiership the equivalent of the Championship. That won't attract the viewing figures required to pay salaries.

I think this is a really dangerous concept, and disrupting footballing pyramids at an already turbulent time seems insane.
    The super club teams were hoping to continue playing their domestic games. 

This 'league' would be played midweek and therefore competition for the Champions League and Europa League. 
    I didn't realise that to be fair. Not that it redeems it.

The schedule is busy enough as is. Will just allow even more top teams to pick up the talent from smaller clubs so that they can be used for rotation in the international version of the Papa Johns trophy.

Not good for Players, Managers or even actual fans. Such a money grab.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    To be fair even the fans of the clubs said to be involved don't want it. I don't think i've seen a single person in favour. Basically a nonsense idea devised by club owners with no interest in anything other than 'how can we make even more money'. Fuck them. Who do they think is going to be interested in a closed shop league with no relegation without some of the best teams in Europe participating in it anyway? Especially when even their clubs own fans don't want it. It'll bomb massively.
    If enough people in Asia, the Middle East and the US (who are used to this closed shop setup) care it won’t matter.

People through the turnstiles means very little to the bottom line anymore.
    Nope not having it. I'm going on record now and saying that if it happens it'll bomb.

A 12 team league with no relegation and they can't play in domestic competitions and obviously they'll be banned from the champions league. So you're just playing the same 11 sides what 3-4 times a year? 

A European super league that has 6 clubs from England, 3 from Spain and 3 from Italy. 5 of those 12 clubs aren't even in the current top 3 of their own domestic leagues, and they want to be in a super league!

The novelty factor will give it 1-2 years but after that it'll be done.
    12 for now. Sure there are designs to double it in the coming months/years

Then it’s comparable to the NBA/NFL/NHL model which they’re clearly designing it on.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I can't see how this works. Surely with the money involved in TV deals etc a super league would kill some clubs.

Look at someone like Leeds for example, they have splashed the cash on some decent players so they can compete in the best league in the country.

If a UEFA super league is introduced then surely that makes the Premiership the equivalent of the Championship. That won't attract the viewing figures required to pay salaries.

I think this is a really dangerous concept, and disrupting footballing pyramids at an already turbulent time seems insane.
    The super club teams were hoping to continue playing their domestic games. 

This 'league' would be played midweek and therefore competition for the Champions League and Europa League. 
    I didn't realise that to be fair. Not that it redeems it.

The schedule is busy enough as is. Will just allow even more top teams to pick up the talent from smaller clubs so that they can be used for rotation in the international version of the Papa Johns trophy.

Not good for Players, Managers or even actual fans. Such a money grab.
    The teams playing in the super league would play their B sides in the Prem as the so called super league is where the money will be, will the tv companies pay billions to the Prem for that, when paying billions to this new league, I think not.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    WSS said:
    To be fair even the fans of the clubs said to be involved don't want it. I don't think i've seen a single person in favour. Basically a nonsense idea devised by club owners with no interest in anything other than 'how can we make even more money'. Fuck them. Who do they think is going to be interested in a closed shop league with no relegation without some of the best teams in Europe participating in it anyway? Especially when even their clubs own fans don't want it. It'll bomb massively.
    If enough people in Asia, the Middle East and the US (who are used to this closed shop setup) care it won’t matter.

Nope not having it. I'm going on record now and saying that if it happens it'll bomb.

A 12 team league with no relegation and they can't play in domestic competitions and obviously they'll be banned from the champions league. So you're just playing the same 11 sides what 3-4 times a year? 

A European super league that has 6 clubs from England, 3 from Spain and 3 from Italy. 5 of those 12 clubs aren't even in the current top 3 of their own domestic leagues, and they want to be in a super league!

Then it’s comparable to the NBA/NFL/NHL model which they’re clearly designing it on.
    Yeah it's pretty obviously been thought up by the American owners of United and Liverpool but i still can't see it working.

The clubs involved (Spurs aside) are obviously all used to a fair degree of success domestically over the years, so not sure how they'll cope when their team is sitting 11th or 12th in the league. Most of these teams compete year in year out for trophies.........now there will be only 1 for all.
  • Options
    Lots of comments saying they should be banned from all domestic competitions which I do agree with. But, with the money disparities within the EFL/PL at present, an FA cup away day at one of the "big 6" does wonders for teams at bottom end of L1 and down through the football pyramid. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I and I imagine many others have become less interested in the champions League and Europa League ever since it completely left terrestrial TV - I'd be interested to hear how many people watch it compared to when games were on ITV along with the highlights.

This would just create yet another thing the average fan would have to pay for at a time when people are asked to pay for more and more subscription services and more people would become disengaged and not be interested. There will be the usual fans who toss themselves off over being one of the select clubs in it, of course, but long-term they lose out from this approach.

I used to watch MOTD religiously, be lucky if I watch it 5 times a season now. The money thrown around and the more or less closed shop of the top end of the table doesn't make for an alluring package . Valley pass and quest highlights are good enough for me. That and the cricket.
    We should remember it not just domestic tv sales the Sky and BT`s of this world interested in, but world ones. The few million people in England who subscribe for football games would not cover the costs of the tv wrights deals, it is the world market.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    WSS said:

Yeah it's pretty obviously been thought up by the American owners of United and Liverpool but i still can't see it working.

The clubs involved (Spurs aside) are obviously all used to a fair degree of success domestically over the years, so not sure how they'll cope when their team is sitting 11th or 12th in the league. Most of these teams compete year in year out for trophies.........now there will be only 1 for all.
    And that is a very good point.

However, as I said previously, it goes further than that. As the season progresses, and with no relegation, many of the games that will be played will be meaningless as teams cannot win the league or get relegated. Glorified friendlies, in fact. 

Stand-by therefore for these owners to announce that the top 5 will qualify for an Intergalatic Cup .
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I and I imagine many others have become less interested in the champions League and Europa League ever since it completely left terrestrial TV - I'd be interested to hear how many people watch it compared to when games were on ITV along with the highlights.

This would just create yet another thing the average fan would have to pay for at a time when people are asked to pay for more and more subscription services and more people would become disengaged and not be interested. There will be the usual fans who toss themselves off over being one of the select clubs in it, of course, but long-term they lose out from this approach.

I used to watch MOTD religiously, be lucky if I watch it 5 times a season now. The money thrown around and the more or less closed shop of the top end of the table doesn't make for an alluring package . Valley pass and quest highlights are good enough for me. That and the cricket.
    We should remember it not just domestic tv sales the Sky and BT`s of this world interested in, but world ones. The few million people in England who subscribe for football games would not cover the costs of the tv wrights deals, it is the world market.

• Options
    This seems to happen every few years and normally the clubs in question will be given a bigger share of the existing pie and talk of a Super League is quietly dropped until the next time. 
  • Options
    I agree it may be a ploy to get more prize money dedicated to the later stages of the Champions league, but let’s see if the do announce something. If they do, UEFA should remove them from all their completions immediately, no waiting until next year. 
  • Options
    Pelple have mentioned Asian interest. There's actually not very much interest in UEFA tournaments here, mainly because in most of Asia, the kick-off times are in the middle of the night.

The concept sounds terrible for true fans of the clubs in question as well as; possibly no domestic leagues or cup competitions. It'd even effect games at youth and under 23 level.
  • Options
    I'm still not entirely convinced it'll happen.

The backlash will be incredible, so i think they'll scrap the idea. I reckon it's just been put out there to gauge reaction and is most probably just part of a wider ploy for the bigger clubs to get more money out of UEFA in a revamped champions league.

Spurs and Arsenal are just there to make up the numbers and make the plan sound a bit bigger than it is, they probably can't believe their luck at being invited.

Spurs and Arsenal are there because of their many millions of global fans. Arsenal's is reportedly the third largest in the World.
    That's what it's all about.
  • Options
    Pelple have mentioned Asian interest. There's actually not very much interest in UEFA tournaments here, mainly because in most of Asia, the kick-off times are in the middle of the night.

The concept sounds terrible for true fans of the clubs in question as well as; possibly no domestic leagues or cup competitions. It'd even effect games at youth and under 23 level.
    Who says they'd be playing the games in Europe? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    UEFA just lowered the boom on any super league. Makes the EPL statement look like nothing.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    "The big six of English football have signed letters of intent to join a new European Super League, which will be announced at 9.30pm on Sunday night.

Manchester City were the last to agree, on Saturday, joining Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham in the breakaway, which will spell the end of competition in domestic and European football as we know it.

UEFA were strong in response, revealing in a statement that they will take legal action if the 'cynical project' for a Super League goes ahead.  

The new league represents the American takeover of elite European football, which will become a closed shop run by its founder members. It is bankrolled by US banking giant JP Morgan and is the brainchild of Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and the American owners of three leading English clubs. 

It is believed Perez will hold the chairman's role in the new league's structure, with Liverpool's John W. Henry, Joel Glazer of Manchester United and Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke as vice-chairmen. 

Andrea Agnelli, chairman of Juventus, and believed until now to be an ally of UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin will occupy the fourth vice-chairman role. 

Ceferin is understood to be furious at Agnelli's betrayal, the news of which comes less than 24 hours before UEFA's own proposals for a revamped Champions League.

The plan is for the Super League to evolve to roughly 15-18 teams, but the initial 12 signatories to the deal are the six English clubs, plus Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid from Spain, and Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan from Italy. This leaves room for other major clubs, such as Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, to be picked off with UEFA's own competitions hopelessly devalued. 

The six clubs are not intending to resign from domestic football, but need Premier League permission to join any new competitions. This could be the first sticking point because the Premier League board is unlikely to grant any request that weakens its own competitive value. 

It does not need to be put to a vote of the 20 clubs, but goes before the Premier League board comprising Gary Hoffman (chair), Richard Masters (chief executive) and Kevin Beeston (non-executive director). 

If they say no to the European Super League, as expected, the clubs will have to be break away from the Premier League entirely in order to join, putting in jeopardy their players' participation in UEFA and FIFA competitions, such as the World Cup and European Championships."

• Options
    Prexit 
  • Options
    just seen UEFA statement. not mincing their words...

UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.

There can’t have been enough brown envelopes passed around for their liking.
  • Options
    Let them completely leave.
    Players will all be in favour because they chase the money but so what?
    It will be great if especially at Academy level they are excluded.
    Manchester United can easily have their U14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 23 matches on a Saturday morning or Monday afternoon away in Naples or wherever, great trip for their players families each game...at the clubs expense.
    They can set up their own, and easily corrupted, system of match officials for all the games not only those at first team level.
    Feck em, let them go with complete severance and they can do it themselves.