Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    Whilst the benefit system is obviously a great help for those in real need, I think people need to start to look after themselves. Having children is a massive responsibility. I am married with three children aged 8 , 5 and 3. I work full time shifts, as did the wife until just made redundant (she hasn't been able to work since March). We argue all the time due to pressure, financial problems, exhaustion etc. It's a huge juggling act but you have to get on with it. Too many adults and indeed kids are having children without thinking about the cost and responsibility of bringing them up, whilst also knowing the government will bail them out. We live in a (western) world now where things are expected for nothing. Take responsibility, have children in a true relationship and stop having kids as a cash cow, or at least thinking as such. Settle with someone and then have children, whilst working equally as hard at your relationship. 
    ......And in the meantime, while we all wait for those people who have no idea what the word responsibility means, to change their ways, children go hungry. Parenting is cyclical. Poor parenting very often leads to children becoming poor parents themselves. Poverty is cyclical too. Poverty is a complex complex issue. In a democratic forward thinking country feeding children should not be complex. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    For balance they should put up the amount of expenses for the MP's that voted in favour of free school meals.
    I suppose you're free to search it out and compile a list.
    I would very much imagine MP's from all parties claim what looks to you and me eye-watering expenses.
    The difference is some MP's, with granted stupidly high expenses, voted against supporting the children, but others, possibly well aware of how fortunate they are themselves with stupidly high expenses, voted to extend a bit of largesse to hungry children.
    To me, maybe only to me, there is a difference between keeping all the goodies for yourself, and sharing it around a little.
    In this instance sharing around a comparative little to do a large amount of good.
    Any one, any family, can fall on hard times just like that, and as other people say, sometimes it isn't about giving a hand out, but a hand up.
    On a personal note, back in the days when the world was in black and white, I was a child in care, and enjoyed free school lunches and from my comfortable perspective now, I look back and realise I needed those meals.
    Totally support free meals for the needy Seth but if someone puts up an argument like that on the site that you listed then it has to be balanced. That list is flawed at best, just look at who is bottom for example!
    Jacob Rees Mogg you mean?
    He voted to deny the children the help.

No - I mean he took no expenses at all.

I read that list as an outrage of expenses (Which it is) and that if they did not claim as much then they could feed starving kids with that money.

• Options

You really couldn't write some of the stuff these MPs, desperate to deflect away from their disgusting stance on FSL, are actually suggesting -that food vouchers are a currency utilised by parents and accepted by drug dealers!

• Options

Kinder, gentler politics in action, although it does sum up my mood after seeing the result of the vote on Tuesday
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Kinder, gentler politics in action, although it does sum up my mood after seeing the result of the vote on Tuesday
    This is AG fitness not Corbyn’s labour mate.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

It was irony mate
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    For balance they should put up the amount of expenses for the MP's that voted in favour of free school meals.
    I would very much imagine MP's from all parties claim what looks to you and me eye-watering expenses.
    The difference is some MP's, with granted stupidly high expenses, voted against supporting the children, but others, possibly well aware of how fortunate they are themselves with stupidly high expenses, voted to extend a bit of largesse to hungry children.
    To me, maybe only to me, there is a difference between keeping all the goodies for yourself, and sharing it around a little.
    In this instance sharing around a comparative little to do a large amount of good.
    Any one, any family, can fall on hard times just like that, and as other people say, sometimes it isn't about giving a hand out, but a hand up.
    On a personal note, back in the days when the world was in black and white, I was a child in care, and enjoyed free school lunches and from my comfortable perspective now, I look back and realise I needed those meals.
    Totally support free meals for the needy Seth but if someone puts up an argument like that on the site that you listed then it has to be balanced. That list is flawed at best, just look at who is bottom for example!

I read that list as an outrage of expenses (Which it is) and that if they did not claim as much then they could feed starving kids with that money.

Wouldn't you say that the expenses list for those against helping the kids is an example of hypocrisy? Not that they should feed children out of the expenses money.
    On that specific measure Jacob Rees Mogg can be exempted from such an accusation (of hypocrisy).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should follow the example of France where the authorities banned supermarkets throwing away food.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

It was irony mate
    My bad 👍🏻
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

Wouldn't you say that the expenses list for those against helping the kids is an example of hypocrisy? Not that they should feed children out of the expenses money.
    On that specific measure Jacob Rees Mogg can be exempted from such an accusation (of hypocrisy).

I wonder how many MP's, past or present and from all sides of the political spectrum are guilty of hypocrisy?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

I wonder how many MP's, past or present and from all sides of the political spectrum are guilty of hypocrisy?

Very likely all of them.
    But this vote not to help children is now.
    A comparison is you can't let off Matt Southall because Tanoon Nimer does it too.
    In the hungry children issue this week what is wrong is plain wrong.
    I am sure the anti Rashford backlash will come, but right now he is a hero of our time

• Options
    Rothko said:

Follow this guy also, he takes sarcasm to an entire new level.
  • Options

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yes there is a problem regarding irresponsible parenting.
    Apart from those often very decent people who can't have children, then any fool can have them.
    You have to learn for ages, and have a theory and practical test in order to be able to drive a car, but a quick bonk can produce a child.
    I can't see an easy answer, unless we have Victorian levels of disapproval regarding bonking matters, but even then you only have to be aware of the work of Charles Dickens to realise the Victorians didn't have the answers.
    Who says it takes one person to have a child but a village to rear one?
    Are we not all responsible, due to an unwritten and unspoken covenant with God or nature or whatever, to care for all children even if they're not our own? Or at least to look out for children and have their backs, or be their wingman or woman until they get to around 17 years old?

• Options

Conservative MP for North Devon there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Indeed, they are borrowing billions so an extra few million will not even register on the balance sheet 
  • Options
    Government by trolling  
  • Options
    The pressure is rising for a Government U-turn. Almost 800,000 signatures on Marcus Rashford’s petition currently and still rising. Conservative MPs wobbling. 
  • Options
    England the only part of the UK not doing anything. Nice one Boris.
  • Options
    Henske said:
    The pressure is rising for a Government U-turn. Almost 800,000 signatures on Marcus Rashford’s petition currently and still rising. Conservative MPs wobbling. 
    They will surely do a u-turn, too much bad press (i know they get a lot anyway) for them not to.