Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    One issue with providing free food to the most disadvantaged kids is actually getting them to eat it. My kids go to a school that has a huge amount of social issues/poverty but until Covid struck they provided excellent nutritious meals cooked on site. My daughter told me time and again that most of the food went uneaten unless it was Friday's fish/nuggets and chips as that was the only kind of food most of her peers would touch. The irony of children most in need of nutrition refusing everything bar the least nutritious food is depressing on so many levels.
    True and very depressing. I mentioned something similar yesterday about when Jamie Oliver campaigned to get more healthy food and teaching children and parents about nutrition and cooking, - I found it horrifying that some parents were turning up at the school gates at lunchtime with fast food for their children who preferred that to what was being served at school.

You would hope though that any child who was genuinely going hungry would eat something even if not their preferred choice.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The Government spent £400 million on the "eat out to help out" scheme. How much would paying for free meals cost for starving children cost? £10m? £20m?

One thing that can be guaranteed is that more people will have contracted Covid as a result of the "eat out to help out scheme". Though more children will go hungry without the free meals. 
    I thought the idea of the EOTHO scheme was to assist the hospitality industry. Considering that employs millions of waiting staff, chefs, kitchen porters, cleaners etc all on low income, they will have quite a struggle feeding their kids without a job. 

The way things are going at the moment it’ll cost a lot more than £20m to put food on the table across the country for everybody.

That said, I am in full support of children in need being feed 365 days a year whatever the means.
    I think the EOHO scheme actually only operated for 13 days. And cost about half a million pounds.
    Half a billion not half a million and it ran from the 3rd to 31st August
    But only Monday to Wednesday 
    Good point. At least if the Government fed the starving children from Monday to Wednesday they might only be starving for half the week!
    My understanding is that this is not about cost but responsibility.

The government are not responsible for feeding children, their parent(s) are.

That said, there should be some way of identifying and helping truly destitute families
    But the Government has a duty of care to look after neglected children too. If parent(s) cannot afford to do so then surely that responsibility passes onto them.

The paint job on Boris's plane cost almost a million. That money could have been re-directed to a more worthy cause couldn't it? 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    I don't know much about the Universal Credit system, but if the money is paid by that method, there is nothing to stop feckless parents from spending it on something else. I think that vouchers can only be spent on food, is that correct, does anyone know?

There was talk of people selling vouchers. I assume that this is either a very small minority or just nonsense.

UC you have to supply proof of any rental agreement you have in place plus thorough checks on child care. You also speak with a case manager. However you are given an allowance amount on top of that. There are no checks on your bills/credit agreements with previous lenders etc. ‘Feckless parents’ will abuse anything, that’s why their feckless. I’d imagine the majority of normal people use it as it’s intended. There is very little margin for error with UC payment if used correctly. It’s not a spend at will allowance.
    Fully understand and know that. The point I was making is that no matter what system is put in place some people will abuse it. 
    I was replying to ME14 mate. Didn’t quote the whole conversation.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The Government spent £400 million on the "eat out to help out" scheme. How much would paying for free meals cost for starving children cost? £10m? £20m?

One thing that can be guaranteed is that more people will have contracted Covid as a result of the "eat out to help out scheme". Though more children will go hungry without the free meals. 
    I thought the idea of the EOTHO scheme was to assist the hospitality industry. Considering that employs millions of waiting staff, chefs, kitchen porters, cleaners etc all on low income, they will have quite a struggle feeding their kids without a job. 

The way things are going at the moment it’ll cost a lot more than £20m to put food on the table across the country for everybody.

That said, I am in full support of children in need being feed 365 days a year whatever the means.
    I think the EOHO scheme actually only operated for 13 days. And cost about half a million pounds.
    Good point. At least if the Government fed the starving children from Monday to Wednesday they might only be starving for half the week!

That said, there should be some way of identifying and helping truly destitute families
    But the Government has a duty of care to look after neglected children too. If parent(s) cannot afford to do so then surely that responsibility passes onto them.

The paint job on Boris's plane cost almost a million. That money could have been re-directed to a more worthy cause couldn't it? 
    As I said previously, I don't think it is about affordability. And sadly there are countless examples of where funds could re re-directed. It could even be deducted from the cost of child benefit for children in the relevant age groups.

As many commented, the issue is not with parents not being able to afford to do so. This may be the case in a small minority of cases - how to identify and help these children.

The best way to help neglected children is through education and enabling the current and future generations of parents.

And what about children who are going cold or inadequately dressed?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

As I said previously, I don't think it is about affordability. And sadly there are countless examples of where funds could re re-directed. It could even be deducted from the cost of child benefit for children in the relevant age groups.

As many commented, the issue is not with parents not being able to afford to do so. This may be the case in a small minority of cases - how to identify and help these children.

The best way to help neglected children is through education and enabling the current and future generations of parents.

They are probably the same ones that are starving. And painting a plane at a cost of £1m is an utter waste of money. Feeding children isn't.
    Of course it is essential that no children go hungry. I use 'hungry' rather than 'starving'  as in most cases in the UK, it is not comparable to those starving in other parts of the world. But there are various ways of going about this. Always better to minimise the causes than the consequences, otherwise it will continue

Of course they are the same ones. So what to do to assist them?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

They are probably the same ones that are starving. And painting a plane at a cost of £1m is an utter waste of money. Feeding children isn't.
    Think of the money we spent on a willy waving contest like the olympics.....
  • Options
    se9addick said:

There are lots of examples, depending on your point of view.

But it doesn't resolve the underlying problem - that being income is not being prioritised (cause), not that children are going hungry (consequence)
  • Options
    One issue with providing free food to the most disadvantaged kids is actually getting them to eat it. My kids go to a school that has a huge amount of social issues/poverty but until Covid struck they provided excellent nutritious meals cooked on site. My daughter told me time and again that most of the food went uneaten unless it was Friday's fish/nuggets and chips as that was the only kind of food most of her peers would touch. The irony of children most in need of nutrition refusing everything bar the least nutritious food is depressing on so many levels.
    True and very depressing. I mentioned something similar yesterday about when Jamie Oliver campaigned to get more healthy food and teaching children and parents about nutrition and cooking, - I found it horrifying that some parents were turning up at the school gates at lunchtime with fast food for their children who preferred that to what was being served at school.

You would hope though that any child who was genuinely going hungry would eat something even if not their preferred choice.
     Believe me, they do.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

There are lots of examples, depending on your point of view.

I know PF, that was my point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

But hosting the Olympics actually brings money into the country and offers all sorts of infrastructure benefits such as, dare I mention, hospitals for Covid patients. 

The Olympics also influence children to do sport in the same way as a World Cups, be they football or cricket, galvanise kids to play. All such activities help them to get fit and not to become obese and a potential burden on the State. Not that many starving children are obese. 

I don't see that re-painting a plane at a cost of £1m is going to influence too many children to become painters and decorators!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:

But hosting the Olympics actually brings money into the country and offers all sorts of infrastructure benefits such as, dare I mention, hospitals for Covid patients. 

The Olympics also influence children to do sport in the same way as a World Cups, be they football or cricket, galvanise kids to play. All such activities help them to get fit and not to become obese and a potential burden on the State. Not that many starving children are obese. 

I don't see that re-painting a plane at a cost of £1m is going to influence too many children to become painters and decorators!
    They could of done all those things without spunking billions on new stadia. Invested in new hospitals, communities through sport etc. That ‘Olympic legacy’ is just an excuse - a 10 billion quid one.

The point is, there are thousands of examples of spending money where people think it’s not necessary. Some people moan about foreign aid, or giving grants to ‘the arts’. There are priorities, but people views on priorities differ.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    I don't know much about the Universal Credit system, but if the money is paid by that method, there is nothing to stop feckless parents from spending it on something else. I think that vouchers can only be spent on food, is that correct, does anyone know?

There was talk of people selling vouchers. I assume that this is either a very small minority or just nonsense.

UC you have to supply proof of any rental agreement you have in place plus thorough checks on child care. You also speak with a case manager. However you are given an allowance amount on top of that. There are no checks on your bills/credit agreements with previous lenders etc. ‘Feckless parents’ will abuse anything, that’s why their feckless. I’d imagine the majority of normal people use it as it’s intended. There is very little margin for error with UC payment if used correctly. It’s not a spend at will allowance.
    Fully understand and know that. The point I was making is that no matter what system is put in place some people will abuse it. 
    I was replying to ME14 mate. Didn’t quote the whole conversation.
    My apologies
  • Options
    se9addick said:

They could of done all those things without spunking billions on new stadia. Invested in new hospitals, communities through sport etc. That ‘Olympic legacy’ is just an excuse - a 10 billion quid one.

The point is, there are thousands of examples of spending money where people think it’s not necessary. Some people moan about foreign aid, or giving grants to ‘the arts’. There are priorities, but people views on priorities differ.
    And the welfare of children should trump them all shouldn't they?
  • Options
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

I hate this view of parental responsibility especially at a time like this.  Responsible parents are losing their jobs daily.  They have paid into the tax system and yet the government has decided their children will starve this half-term and Christmas.  A child does not choose to be born into poverty or to even the parents they are born too. The way I understand it, it is a question of humanity.
    But these are not the parents I am talking about. The government is not deciding and some children may be going hungry (not starving).  I hate this use of emotive language, as it is not strictly correct. Lets find a way to help those genuinely in financial difficulty (not mismanaging income).

How is child benefit calculated and how far does it go to feeding and clothing each child (the highest priorities after accommodation and heating)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    At the risk of being shot down is it not the parents job to ensure their kids are suitably looked after? My parents were never well off and we always struggled when I was younger, but they always ensured we had food. Don't see why the government is expected to bail everyone out if I'm being honest

If someone could enlighten me on this then I'm willing to listen
    They aren’t bailing the parents out, they’re bailing the kids out.

Hard to argue with this point and Marcus Rashford is a fine ambassador and  spokesperson for the kids.

I made the decision to just have 2 kids: nature decided and we had two healthy kids. My wife then wanted more, but I wasn't certain about my future so two it was ! I had two cash streams, one stressful and one was boring. No way did I want or expect the state to pay for my kids or have to feed them, unless through sickness or an accident which meant I couldn't work.

I agree let's make sure no kids go hungry But why did Marcus's mum keep having children when according to Rashford, his dad kept going AWOL ?

I have advocated for years that the state gives good child benefits for the first two children. Then how about Birth control ?

• Options
    se9addick said:
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

I hate this view of parental responsibility especially at a time like this.  Responsible parents are losing their jobs daily.  They have paid into the tax system and yet the government has decided their children will starve this half-term and Christmas.  A child does not choose to be born into poverty or to even the parents they are born too. The way I understand it, it is a question of humanity.
    But these are not the parents I am talking about. The government is not deciding and some children may be going hungry (not starving).  I hate this use of emotive language, as it is not strictly correct. Lets find a way to help those genuinely in financial difficulty (not mismanaging income).

How is child benefit calculated and how far does it go to feeding and clothing each child (the highest priorities after accommodation and heating)
    But none of that was in the proposition of Tuesday night. MPs were asked to vote on whether to feed hungry children or not. That’s it. The weren’t asked to whether to feed hungry children or not to feed hungry children but provide some alternative miraculous training course for parents who don’t realise that need to actually feed their kids. 

If you were an MP on the Commons on Tuesday, faced with the actual choice they had to make, how would you have voted?
    They weren't asked to 'feed hungry children' as such. Again, emotive language (at least not using the work starving'

If I were an MP, I would be campaigning for, amongst other things, action to avoid children being in the position of being hungry (as well as going cold and inadequately dressed). And for identifying families in genuine need (as opposed to mis-prioritisation of income). And maybe how to provide a meal in the meantime for those where the income is not being prioritised with a corresponding reduction in child benefit or equivalent.

If I had any influence (as an MP or otherwise) I would be campaigning to reduce why it happens. If I owned a football club and we weren't getting the results, I wouldn't just keep  buying new players but look at the reasons why and what I could change
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

But the children of the parents I am talking about will be suffering as well as the children of the parents that you are talking about.  Personally, I believe no child should be starving or going hungry.  No matter who their parent is.

I agree a way must be found to ensure the food gets to ALL children. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

But none of that was in the proposition of Tuesday night. MPs were asked to vote on whether to feed hungry children or not. That’s it. The weren’t asked to whether to feed hungry children or not to feed hungry children but provide some alternative miraculous training course for parents who don’t realise that need to actually feed their kids. 

If you were an MP on the Commons on Tuesday, faced with the actual choice they had to make, how would you have voted?
    They weren't asked to 'feed hungry children' as such. Again, emotive language (at least not using the work starving'

If I were an MP, I would be campaigning for, amongst other things, action to avoid children being in the position of being hungry (as well as going cold and inadequately dressed). And for identifying families in genuine need (as opposed to mis-prioritisation of income). And maybe how to provide a meal in the meantime for those where the income is not being prioritised with a corresponding reduction in child benefit or equivalent.

If I had any influence (as an MP or otherwise) I would be campaigning to reduce why it happens. If I owned a football club and we weren't getting the results, I wouldn't just keep  buying new players but look at the reasons why and what I could change
    How would you have voted on Tuesday? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    At the risk of being shot down is it not the parents job to ensure their kids are suitably looked after? My parents were never well off and we always struggled when I was younger, but they always ensured we had food. Don't see why the government is expected to bail everyone out if I'm being honest

If someone could enlighten me on this then I'm willing to listen
    They aren’t bailing the parents out, they’re bailing the kids out.

Hard to argue with this point and Marcus Rashford is a fine ambassador and  spokesperson for the kids.

I made the decision to just have 2 kids: nature decided and we had two healthy kids. My wife then wanted more, but I wasn't certain about my future so two it was ! I had two cash streams, one stressful and one was boring. No way did I want or expect the state to pay for my kids or have to feed them, unless through sickness or an accident which meant I couldn't work.

I agree let's make sure no kids go hungry But why did Marcus's mum keep having children when according to Rashford, his dad kept going AWOL ?

I have advocated for years that the state gives good child benefits for the first two children. Then how about Birth control ?

What happens when someone has triplets?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

I am not sure. It would depend if I were able to speak to on the wider issue and if this action was just a stop gap until longer-term policies. And a policy to help those in genuine need (and not those mis-prioritising)

Another concern is what is next, clothing and heating bills?
  • Options
    It shouldn’t be Olympics, paint jobs OR hungry children. I am sure there are sufficient funds to pay for all those things.

It’s just that the Tories in the main have a fixed attitude around if people worked hard enough they would have sufficient funds to support their own children. From their position of wealth and privilege (in the main ) they have no comprehension that it is not all solved for everyone by hard work. There will always be people at the bottom of any society - a mark of how civilised you are as a society is how those people are treated. And some people need to be supported. In this country we believe in giving financial support to those with children as we recognise that nurturing the next generation is important, not least because today’s children will the workers of the future whose taxes pay for our health care and pensions when we need them.

Having said that, child benefit has been insufficient for years. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    1989cafc said:
    se9addick said:

I am not sure. It would depend if I were able to speak to on the wider issue and if this action was just a stop gap until longer-term policies. And a policy to help those in genuine need (and not those mis-prioritising)

Another concern is what is next, clothing and heating bills?
    Hopefully.