Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options

Some more.
    Still.
    Diane Abbott eh?
  • Options
    @sirjohnhumphrey We've got 23 staff off all positive tests, shed loads of kids off and they're still spouting the same shite about kids not passing virus on. Not to mention the legal requirement to deliver the same lessons to those in school and out. Lucky it's half term because we've had sick staff trying to deliver lessons online and lets be honest people who probably should have been isolating carrying on so that the school didn't shut. UK gov/ DfE  'Koff no pun intended.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Some more.
    Still.
    Diane Abbott eh?
    Believe Lily is a 16 year old girl
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Some more.
    Still.
    Diane Abbott eh?
    What about Diane Abbott?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:

Some more.
    Still.
    Diane Abbott eh?
    What about Diane Abbott?
    You need to have been a regular on the political threads to understand Seth.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This is the response of a Tory MP when contacted by a constituent and asked why he voted 'no' in the vote to help children not to go hungry.

Still, Diane Abbott eh?

Fuck me, is this a real response? Jesus wept...
  • Options
    Could be our PM in 20 years time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Poverty is relative and I know there are countries that are in way worse situation than the UK, but we are a first world, rich country that can afford to look after itself.

I had free school meals all through school. We had vouchers for school uniforms. My mum struggled and did really well with what she had. We were in that position because my mum was divorced by my father when I was 5 in 1960.

I never minded any of that but what was worse was the way some people would make value judgements and look down on my family.

It’s what some ignorant people are doing here. No one chooses to be poor, no one chooses a life on benefits unless circumstances force them to it. The circumstances being no work, poorly paid work, medical issues, mental health issues and so on.

I have worked with families in various settings and I have yet to meet parents who didn’t want life for their kids to be better than their own.

There are short term things that deal with child hunger such as free meals.

There are long term things such as better education, more jobs that pay a decent wage.

If we choose to consciously let children go hungry then this country is beneath contempt.

And anyone advocating letting children go hungry as a way to “educate” their parents is even worse.
    I agree with a lot of this but disagree that no one chooses a life on benefits (unfortunately). Some because they are actually better off. You have to admire those who chose to work despite being worse off, in many cases considerably worse off.

I am not aware of anyone advocating letting children go hungry as a way to “educate” their parents. How ever much education will help though.
    Sorry, but haven't you been doing something similar. Ok, to be fair, maybe you have a magic bullet idea that by starving children, parents that can do more will. There are all sorts of reasons why people are poor. You can have drug addict parents, mentally ill parents, and parents that have had bad luck. Ultimately, if you have no sympathy for them, you can't want to live in a society that is happy to step away from their needy kids.

The issue is quite simple as Rashford has highlighted. Kids are starving now in particularly difficult times, and free school meals are not a bonus but are essential to them.
    No I haven't.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    Quite sickened to see my MP at the top of the list with expenses claims of nearly ninety grand. E-mailed him a few times and have always been deflated by his arrogant and dismissive responses. Never actually seen him around town though, he hides out in his country pile with his hunting set mates. The bloke is a proper c***.

Relevant to this thread he had a Twitter spat with Rashford a couple of weeks ago regarding this matter.
  • Options
    Haven’t really read much of this thread but I would like to see a few affected parents interviewed about this. Are there really kids starving in the U.K. at this time ? Does child benefit and other benefits not cover the basic requirement of food anymore ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    For balance they should put up the amount of expenses for the MP's that voted in favour of free school meals.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    For balance they should put up the amount of expenses for the MP's that voted in favour of free school meals.
    I suppose you're free to search it out and compile a list.
    I would very much imagine MP's from all parties claim what looks to you and me eye-watering expenses.
    The difference is some MP's, with granted stupidly high expenses, voted against supporting the children, but others, possibly well aware of how fortunate they are themselves with stupidly high expenses, voted to extend a bit of largesse to hungry children.
    To me, maybe only to me, there is a difference between keeping all the goodies for yourself, and sharing it around a little.
    In this instance sharing around a comparative little to do a large amount of good.
    Any one, any family, can fall on hard times just like that, and as other people say, sometimes it isn't about giving a hand out, but a hand up.
    On a personal note, back in the days when the world was in black and white, I was a child in care, and enjoyed free school lunches and from my comfortable perspective now, I look back and realise I needed those meals.
  • Options
    Are there still going to be school meals during term time?
  • Options
    Absolutely staggering even by 2020 standards that there are people who see what rashford has done and is doing and feel the need to respond with things like “yeah but what about the parents”.
    I would assess that those people what to try to avoid it happening to children in the future
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Absolutely staggering even by 2020 standards that there are people who see what rashford has done and is doing and feel the need to respond with things like “yeah but what about the parents”.
    I would assess that those people what to try to avoid it happening to children in the future
    It, happening in the future is not the debate, it’s feeding kids now, that’s the only issue Rashford is involved in.  And it, is a baseless assumption.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    I would very much imagine MP's from all parties claim what looks to you and me eye-watering expenses.
    The difference is some MP's, with granted stupidly high expenses, voted against supporting the children, but others, possibly well aware of how fortunate they are themselves with stupidly high expenses, voted to extend a bit of largesse to hungry children.
    To me, maybe only to me, there is a difference between keeping all the goodies for yourself, and sharing it around a little.
    In this instance sharing around a comparative little to do a large amount of good.
    Any one, any family, can fall on hard times just like that, and as other people say, sometimes it isn't about giving a hand out, but a hand up.
    On a personal note, back in the days when the world was in black and white, I was a child in care, and enjoyed free school lunches and from my comfortable perspective now, I look back and realise I needed those meals.
    Totally support free meals for the needy Seth but if someone puts up an argument like that on the site that you listed then it has to be balanced. That list is flawed at best, just look at who is bottom for example!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    Totally support free meals for the needy Seth but if someone puts up an argument like that on the site that you listed then it has to be balanced. That list is flawed at best, just look at who is bottom for example!
    Jacob Rees Mogg you mean?
    He voted to deny the children the help.
  • Options

• Options

My understanding is yes.
    The number of children in a school on 'free' school meals is used as an indicator of a number of features of a school that is reflected in funding, exams analysis, and in ofsted reports. From that I deduce that even if schools can't create lunches for all the children, they continue to find ways to provide for the needy.
    I even think that although it isn't a statutory requirement, some schools have 'breakfast clubs' where some food is provided free of charge to the children. Sometimes breakfast clubs are actually paid for by staff out of their own pocket, probably if the numbers aren't huge.

• Options

I’m signing off with a feeling a pride tonight. The superstars of this nation lie in local communities. Even after taking the biggest hits you have wrapped your arms around your community to catch children as they fell. I really can’t thank you enough, you’re amazing

• Options
    Marcus sets a great example to youngsters about getting involved and caring about your community.