Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    Henske said:
    I still haven’t seen any of the affected parents come forward. I’ve seen and heard the media, MPs, middle class folk and (obviously) anyone anti Govt but I’ve never seen anyone coming on tv saying that their kids are actually starving. Where are these parents who can’t feed there children during half term ? 

With respect Sir, if you’re really interested in finding out where hungry kids are in the U.K. do some research for yourself. It isn’t difficult to find the information as some of the previous posts show. However, if you are expecting those parents who can’t afford to feed their kids adequately to pop up on T.V to inform the citizens of this country just ask yourself would you  appear if you were in that situation? A significant percentage of them will be trying to earn a living, a much smaller percentage will be doing what people do when they are ‘drowning’ i.e. seeking solace in alcohol and drugs. Their children still need to be cared for and fed.  

Nearest food bank to work is down the road at Bank Top in Blackburn, I'm often out and about on home visits etc and park next to it. On several occasions I've met parents on their way in who see me and walk on even though they and I are both aware of their situations. Pride and shame are powerful drivers of behaviour. Much of the comment based on they should cut down on X and Y to feed their kids takes no account of the shite wages people are on. The fabled scrounging sponge who does nothing is mostly a myth in my 15 years here. More worrying is the way young people are vulnerable to CCE and supplementing family incomes by shotting. Ket, weed and coke are rife all around and more and more are spending the night blazing away the shite.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I still haven’t seen any of the affected parents come forward. I’ve seen and heard the media, MPs, middle class folk and (obviously) anyone anti Govt but I’ve never seen anyone coming on tv saying that their kids are actually starving. Where are these parents who can’t feed there children during half term ? 

Is this guy for real? Because YOU haven’t seen it, it doesn’t exist? How far removed from reality do you have to be to write something like this?
    I haven’t said it doesn’t exist, have I. Mine was a civil post not taking a side or go being an opinion. Wind your neck in, chill out and fuck off from having an unnecessary dig.
    It’s difficult to read such ignorance and then ‘chill out’. It wasn’t a dig - funnily enough this isn’t about you. It sounds like you have no idea of the conditions that some children in this country (and probably your local community) have to live in and that’s fine - no one can blame you for being ignorant to that. But don’t leave such ill-informed, crass comments if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
    Not about me ? It’s about all of us. And it’s certainly about me when some jumped up twat has a dig for no reason. 
    So I can’t ask questions when I know little about something ? I thought that’s why we do ask questions in life ?
    We don’t even disagree - My comments don’t land on one side or the other, yet you immediately jump down my throat assuming I have a different opinion to you.  
  • Options
    Henske said:

With respect Sir, if you’re really interested in finding out where hungry kids are in the U.K. do some research for yourself. It isn’t difficult to find the information as some of the previous posts show. However, if you are expecting those parents who can’t afford to feed their kids adequately to pop up on T.V to inform the citizens of this country just ask yourself would you  appear if you were in that situation? A significant percentage of them will be trying to earn a living, a much smaller percentage will be doing what people do when they are ‘drowning’ i.e. seeking solace in alcohol and drugs. Their children still need to be cared for and fed.  

Nearest food bank to work is down the road at Bank Top in Blackburn, I'm often out and about on home visits etc and park next to it. On several occasions I've met parents on their way in who see me and walk on even though they and I are both aware of their situations. Pride and shame are powerful drivers of behaviour. Much of the comment based on they should cut down on X and Y to feed their kids takes no account of the shite wages people are on. The fabled scrounging sponge who does nothing is mostly a myth in my 15 years here. More worrying is the way young people are vulnerable to CCE and supplementing family incomes by shotting. Ket, weed and coke are rife all around and more and more are spending the night blazing away the shite.
    My experience of working in Southwark & Deptford for 15 years too. Well put. 
  • Options

These are some of the outcomes from the National Child Measurement Programme publication for 2018/19:

• For reception year, obesity prevalence was 9.7%, from 9.5% in 2017/18.
    • For year 6, obesity prevalence was 20.2%, which was similar to 2017/18.
    • Obesity prevalence was higher for boys than girls in both age groups.
    • For children living in the most deprived areas obesity prevalence was more than double that of those living in the least deprived areas, for both reception and year 6.
  • Options
    @Henske - Indeed was 20 years on Creekside near enough before coming up here. Was in a different trade then but same people different accents.
  • Options
    @Henske - Indeed was 20 years on Creekside near enough before coming up here. Was in a different trade then but same people different accents.
    Snap.  I lived in Liverpool for 7 years. Also a different trade but I learnt  a lot from scousers  especially as I was  a ‘Cockney bastard’ in downtown Liverpool 8. Much respect for the survival skills of the working people I mixed with and their sense of humour. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Not sure if it's government specific tbh. I personally had a very tough time under Bliar / Brown. Ie - Lived off help from family, with a meagre budget for shopping etc. This is because I didnt come under the category of 'disabled', but also couldn't hold down a full time job due to bouts of chronic illness. I understand the system for that type of scenario is now much fairer, with Universal Credit, but not sure
    Very true, Rashford was from birth to 13 under a labour government. But it is very much the Tories who've dealt the latest blow.

I hope the vote happens again tomorrow, but it's equally pleasing to see that where the government has failed society in general has stepped in.

This isn't a new thing and has been going on for all of my 47, soon to be 48 years.
    “Big society” - something Call Me Dave was very keen on back in the day. Of course the Tories would rather everyone else paid for it so they don’t have to. And then it’s all the more for them and their chums.
  • Options
    Obese children  exist. 
    Because they exist it does not mean there aren't also hungry children.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is more than just about nutrition It is about some kids going hungry. This in the context of a time when many are struggling more than they usually would. 
  • Options
    I think the word 'hungry' has been used much more on this thread than the word 'starvation', which I agree is emotive (even if true sometimes).
    Skimming back I can't see the word 'starvation' used in every other post, and suggesting such is rather emotive.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think the word 'hungry' has been used much more on this thread than the word 'starvation', which I agree is emotive (even if true sometimes).
    Skimming back I can't see the word 'starvation' used in every other post, and suggesting such is rather emotive.
    Now I’m confused. Earlier, I was berated when I asked if there are children actually starving in this country. Although nobody answered directly, they clearly believe there are unless they didn’t read my original post correctly.
  • Options
    Well I haven't berated any poster on this thread.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Well I haven't berated any poster on this thread.
    I know.
  • Options
    Poor Kids: Life On The Breadline.

This documentary was first shown in 2016. Worth watching to see what some kids have to go through. Heartbreaking.

https://youtu.be/i9aSp9bFmMg
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:
    Well done dodging the question on how you would have voted on Tuesday PrincessFiona.

You also mentioned about educating rather than just feeding hungry children. Are you aware that studies have been done which categorically prove that hungry children struggle more with education than those who aren't hungry? So if you want to educate them, then it is probably a good idea that they aren't hungry to begin with.

Furthermore, you said that you want to treat the cause rather than a symptom, yet in many cases you have to treat symptoms before you can treat the cause. 

You're coming across, perhaps unintentionally, as someone who would be happy to see children go hungry because you want to deal with the parents. These children don't have any say in the situation that they have come into, why do you want to punish them for it, because regardless of what you say you are doing, by leaving them hungry you are punishing them?
    Consequences not symptoms

I don't want any child to go hungry.  I don't have the answers and am just discussing the situation on a forum. I am not expecting everyone to agree
    classic troll 😡😈👹👺
    I'm guessing the pseudonym isn't self-awareness 🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hilarious. Would work better if they could spell "your" of course. 
  • Options
    Cheers mate
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sorry, but I do think there's a problem with the people the flow chart is obviously directed at, all be it tongue and cheek.

That is, people who genuinely dont know how to categorise where their money should be spent, regardless of where the money comes from (a job or the state). Also think there's a problem with people not knowing, or bothering to find out what to feed their children.

Mrs was made redundant in June / July with no redundancy money whatsoever, so know what you're saying Seth. The Universal Credit have been brilliant with sharing info and even setting her up with phone meetings with a mentor who will help with ideas, ready for the new year, when she hope's to start a new business.

She hasn't been given any cash benefit yet though 
  • Options
    It is so difficult to comment on this thread without it looking political, which i prefer to do in the HofC section of Charlton life.
    But when those in charge say they are 'one nation', and are going to 'put their arms around' people, the hypocrisy of their stance on this matter is difficult not to see.
    In fact it smacks (a lot of) people square in the face.
  • Options
    Cheers mate
    Yor welcome. 
    *You're 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    It is so difficult to comment on this thread without it looking political, which i prefer to do in the HofC section of Charlton life.
    But when those in charge say they are 'one nation', and are going to 'put their arms around' people, the hypocrisy of their stance on this matter is difficult not to see.
    In fact it smacks (a lot of) people square in the face.
    I think the government is going to do something. It will cost them (us) more but will mean kids have access to free meals over Christmas in a different way. They feel they can't do another U turn but the bit they are bothered about most is when they are attacked by their own.