Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    I still haven’t seen any of the affected parents come forward. I’ve seen and heard the media, MPs, middle class folk and (obviously) anyone anti Govt but I’ve never seen anyone coming on tv saying that their kids are actually starving. Where are these parents who can’t feed there children during half term ? 

Malnourished children are arriving at school so hungry they are taking food out of the bins, a headteacher says.

Siobhan Collingwood, headteacher of Morecambe Bay Primary School, in Lancashire, said one in 10 of its pupils came from families using food banks.

When children are food deprived it alters their behaviour and they do become quite food obsessed, so we have some children who will be stealing fruit cores from the bins,” the headteacher said.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Ms Collingwood said: “We have children who have nothing in their lunch boxes and children who are just fixated upon food.”

• Options
    I still haven’t seen any of the affected parents come forward. I’ve seen and heard the media, MPs, middle class folk and (obviously) anyone anti Govt but I’ve never seen anyone coming on tv saying that their kids are actually starving. Where are these parents who can’t feed there children during half term ? 

In the pub waiting for their dealer to turn up  o:)

My worst nightmare [is] someone knocking on my door, saying 'sorry Mr Barber, you can't feed your children, you can't clothe your children, I'm going to have to take your kids away.'

"Because the minute that happens, I won't be on this earth."

The father-of-four spoke to ITV during a special segment about poverty in Liverpool and how one in every three children live below the poverty line.

A DWP spokesperson said children growing up in working households are five times less likely to be in relative poverty,

But the Echo spoke to Gerard Woodhouse, general manager of L6 Community Centre who was also featured in the special report.

Gerard said: "I'm more than worried at the moment. Everything we do will be affected by a no-deal Brexit.

"Our food only lasts two weeks, we're constantly relying on donations and the council are under-funded as it is.

"To be honest, we're living on S*** Street."

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCMjfTkv9rY

ITV News. The reality of child poverty in Britain.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/16/food-poverty-millions-children-uk-not-enough-to-eat
  • Options
    I have lived in London all my life and years ago volunteered on a night time soup run for homeless people.
    I became familiar with their gathering places.
    Instead of things getting better over the years it is now quite shocking how many street dwellers there are. Being a semi regular at Peterborough away games, a clear cathedral city usually, last time the number of street dwellers around was shocking.
    There have always been neglected children, and I certainly think things have got worse in terms of hungry children. I don't believe it is a myth.
  • Options
    Labour calling for further vote tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how many Tories break ranks.
  • Options
    The post above says a lot, especially the film.
    However virtuous or feckless parents are those children need help and support and not to feel hungry.
    I have experienced genuine hunger and it gets so all you think about is where you can get something to eat.
    Marcus Rashford gets it, the naysayers in my opinion don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Government by trolling  
    This has been specifically Boris' remit the entire time 
  • Options

Classy reply to a child 
  • Options
    Not sure if it's government specific tbh. I personally had a very tough time under Bliar / Brown. Ie - Lived off help from family, with a meagre budget for shopping etc. This is because I didnt come under the category of 'disabled', but also couldn't hold down a full time job due to bouts of chronic illness. I understand the system for that type of scenario is now much fairer, with Universal Credit, but not sure
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    shine166 said:

Classy reply to a child 
    The “fiancé’ of the delightful Esther McVey. Charming couple.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There  shouldn't be a backlash against Marcus Rashford because he cares about the kids, similar to his own situation as a youngster and he comes across as a really humble guy.

His mum was the rock of the family and had many jobs in trying to support the family as his Dad keep going AWOL. Marcus's dad came back for sex obviously now and then, and I assume that's where his big family comes from. (Sex education from soapboxsam !)

We all know there will be piss taking parents who claim free meals while smoking 40 a day and having their 4 pints a day but the Kids matter and must be fed. There are also more genuine cases who are honest but high rent and low wages make things so difficult.

Birth control is a major concern in this world and it should start with Boris the serial shagger.
  • Options

2200 paediatricians sign open letter to Prime Minister urging Government to extend free school meals to cover holidays 

24 October 2020

As paediatricians we are shocked by the refusal of the UK Government to extend the provision of free school meals in England to children from low-income backgrounds during the school holidays.

Childhood hunger is an issue that should transcend politics. Few would disagree that one of our most basic human responsibilities is to ensure children have enough to eat. 

Every day, we see the impact of hunger and malnutrition in our work as paediatricians. It is not unusual for us to care for children who don’t have enough to eat or who don’t have access to a substantial meal outside of what is provided in school. Good nutrition is at the heart of health, wellbeing and development for children and young people. Without it, children’s health outcomes worsen, and with that, so do their life chances 

More than 4 million children in the UK live in poverty and around one third of those are reliant on free school meals. The pandemic has entrenched and exacerbated this reality; families who were previously managing are now struggling to make ends meet because of the impact of COVID-19. It is not good enough to send them into the holiday period hoping for the best, while knowing that many will simply go hungry. Food vouchers will not solve this problem, but they offer a short-term remedy. 

We call on the UK Government to match the pledges of the Welsh and Scottish Governments and the Northern Ireland Executive, to continue to provide children from low-income backgrounds with free meals over the coming weeks and to then extend this at least until the Easter school holiday, as they have done in Wales and Scotland.

We pay tribute to Marcus Rashford and his powerful campaigning. His advocacy for children and young people has been a source of inspiration in difficult times. We are proud to stand with him on this issue. 

• Options

Dr Max Davie, Officer for Health Improvement at the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health said: 

We’re a rich country. This isn’t about money, it’s about making sure people have food to eat, and it’s about doing the right thing for children who need a hand up. We shouldn’t have to fight for food vouchers when we’re in the middle of a pandemic.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

Is this guy for real? Because YOU haven’t seen it, it doesn’t exist? How far removed from reality do you have to be to write something like this?
    I haven’t said it doesn’t exist, have I. Mine was a civil post not taking a side or go being an opinion. Wind your neck in, chill out and fuck off from having an unnecessary dig.
  • Options
    Sorry if this seems overly political, but they are the government:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

Is this guy for real? Because YOU haven’t seen it, it doesn’t exist? How far removed from reality do you have to be to write something like this?
    I haven’t said it doesn’t exist, have I. Mine was a civil post not taking a side or go being an opinion. Wind your neck in, chill out and fuck off from having an unnecessary dig.
    It’s difficult to read such ignorance and then ‘chill out’. It wasn’t a dig - funnily enough this isn’t about you. It sounds like you have no idea of the conditions that some children in this country (and probably your local community) have to live in and that’s fine - no one can blame you for being ignorant to that. But don’t leave such ill-informed, crass comments if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sorry if this seems overly political, but they are the government:

Selaine also claimed for 30k expenses last year on top of her food allowance and 80k wage 
  • Options
    Not sure if it's government specific tbh. I personally had a very tough time under Bliar / Brown. Ie - Lived off help from family, with a meagre budget for shopping etc. This is because I didnt come under the category of 'disabled', but also couldn't hold down a full time job due to bouts of chronic illness. I understand the system for that type of scenario is now much fairer, with Universal Credit, but not sure
    Very true, Rashford was from birth to 13 under a labour government. But it is very much the Tories who've dealt the latest blow.

I hope the vote happens again tomorrow, but it's equally pleasing to see that where the government has failed society in general has stepped in.

This isn't a new thing and has been going on for all of my 47, soon to be 48 years.
  • Options
    Henske said:

Malnourished children are arriving at school so hungry they are taking food out of the bins, a headteacher says.

Siobhan Collingwood, headteacher of Morecambe Bay Primary School, in Lancashire, said one in 10 of its pupils came from families using food banks.

When children are food deprived it alters their behaviour and they do become quite food obsessed, so we have some children who will be stealing fruit cores from the bins,” the headteacher said.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Ms Collingwood said: “We have children who have nothing in their lunch boxes and children who are just fixated upon food.”

I know Siobhan and the West End of Morecambe is indeed a place with many issues. Hopefully the town itself will get a massive boost from the  Eden Project North but the fear must be that the new jobs go to others and the property prices are likely to go up meaning evictions and the age old shuffling of the unwanted further down the coast to Fleetwood or the Bleakpool grimness.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Chill out ay ? 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Chill out ay ? 
    Yes.