Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    I asked security at Crayford Sainsbury’s why they were allowing people in without masks - he told me they are not allowed to question people’s medical ‘status’ i.e. people who claim their medical condition means they don’t have to wear a mask

What a load of bollocks (and he agreed with me)
    Not bollocks at all.

People are entitled to privacy.

Why should decent citizens in a supposedly free country have to discuss sensitive personal medical matters with shop assistants and security guards in the shopping centre?

It's a matter for them and their doctor if they choose to involve one.

You wouldn't dare ask a disabled person to leave their wheelchair because they take up too much space in the aisles.

The only difference is that you can see one disability and not the other.

Sorry, but I think thats utter tosh. If you are so "disabled" that you can't put something over your nose & mouth for a short period of time then you should be willing to carry something like a lanyard saying why that is the case.Thats not "discussing ones medical issues" its simply letting people know why you can't adhere to the rules and to stop both you & them having to have that conversation. I've never heard a driver not display their blue badge when entitled to because they don't want people knowing they are "disabled". I believe you dont even need a Dr's certificate & you can simply print a form off the Gov.uk website. 

Most people not wearing a mask are the same people who generally dont give a toss about anything & think rules don't apply to them.There are selfish people in this world & they do what they like. I just try to go about my business & don't give them a second thought. 
    Yeah, cyclists really piss me off too!
  • Options
    I think there is a sort of hyperbole with this whole thing, the vast majority of people are wearing masks wherever they need to be. I think it's just more noticeable when someone isn't so we build it up more in our heads about the true numbers who aren't.

Of those who don't wear one, I'm sure there are a number that don't due to health reasons and for the rest? I'd honestly like to ask some people, it could be they've spent too much time on Facebook and some of the nonsense being shared on there or maybe they just have an issue with authority. I've recently moved from a less wealthy area to one that is definitely more gentrified and the numbers wearing masks here in shops and on transport is definitely higher. Maybe it's part of the authority issue thing but it is definitely an interesting social study that I'd like to read about if any are done in the future.   
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I think there is a sort of hyperbole with this whole thing, the vast majority of people are wearing masks wherever they need to be. I think it's just more noticeable when someone isn't so we build it up more in our heads about the true numbers who aren't.

Of those who don't wear one, I'm sure there are a number that don't due to health reasons and for the rest? I'd honestly like to ask some people, it could be they've spent too much time on Facebook and some of the nonsense being shared on there or maybe they just have an issue with authority. I've recently moved from a less wealthy area to one that is definitely more gentrified and the numbers wearing masks here in shops and on transport is definitely higher. Maybe it's part of the authority issue thing but it is definitely an interesting social study that I'd like to read about if any are done in the future.   
    Sadly it's not true. Was in an ASDA this afternoon and barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. Was quite disappointed actually
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Apologies... think that was 1986.
    That’s nice and selfless of you

if people wore masks in 1986, maybe 85,000 people wouldn’t have died 
  • Options
    I should think there are plenty of people like myself who do wear a mask that dont have to wear one.
    What a load of b@llocks I should have to wear a lanyard to say I'm exempt.
    A couple of people have asked me why I wear a mask when I dont need to.
    Answer 
    I'd top up having an argument every other time I went in the shops.

• Options
    Must admit to having reservations to the effectiveness of masks and especially face coverings. 

We are told masks offer protection to others rather than the wearer.  Does this mean that airborne particles (of one micron in size) are small enough to penetrate through a wearer's mask, but cant penetrate in the other direction as the wearer exhales?

I'm sure some people wear these filthy masks day in day out, and some, albeit a minority, discard them to the the floor or leave in open public bins.  As someone passed me the other day, they flicked their mask off just as we were adjacent, it was as though a slingshot full of C19 was headed in my direction.  :o

If we all wore medical grade masks and sanitised scrupulously on attaching and disposing safely, I would have no argument.  

Despite my opinion, I still wear a mask (where necessary) out of respect to others sensitivities.

P.S.  Sainsbury Bexleyheath, pipe a message in requesting customers leave maskless shoppers alone and not question their motives.

There aren't airborne particles of one micron in size. The virus isn't airbourne, it needs a carrier (spittle, phlegm, etc.) and it is the carrier the mask stops.

Arguments about the relative size of a virus and the gaps in a surgical style mask are usually propagated by those unwilling to wear a mask and seeking to legitimise their selfish choice. Some then go on to claim they can't breath through a mask, a mask that apparently let's through 1 micron viruses, but blocks far far smaller oxygen atoms somehow.

In July, 239 scientists signed an open letter “appealing to the medical community and relevant national and international bodies to recognise the potential for airborne spread of covid-19.”

The WHO define droplets of up to ten microns (um) as aerosols.  Studies have shown that particles of up to 50 microns can remain suspended and travel considerable distances.

When the government held weekly briefings they steadfastly said that masks were of no benefit and even cited the WHO. It seemed to me they changed their minds to appeal to the electorate.  As I said I conform with government advice, but I struggle to see how random bits of old cloth particularly when reused multi times contains this virus.  It's just an opinion.

Here is a report that appeared in the BMJ. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3206

• Options
    In M&S at Charlton yesterday I suggested a woman should pull up her mask from her chin to cover her nose and mouth. She shouted at me that she had a condition and couldn't do that. I said why wear it on her chin? Her daughter (mask under her nose) then joined in.

A real problem is that virtually all publicity says you must wear a face covering. By not including over your nose and mouth it makes it impossible to enforce.

A mask on your chin or under your nose is being worn.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Sadly it's not true. Was in an ASDA this afternoon and barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. Was quite disappointed actually
    Counted every single one of them did you? 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I know we like to be down on the British public, and social distancing and face covering compliance is far far from perfect here - but overall I am actually quiet heartned by how most people seem to be complying.

I remarked in the Coronavirus thread last week after a trip up Eltham highstreet how it, from my experience, seemed like even more people were wearing face covering then when the restrictions came in.

Without living in other places in Europe I can't claim to know how they are doing with face covering compliance - but have read in the media in recent weeks about various protests in places like Spain, Germany and Belgium.

I do often wonder as @colthe3rd mentioned if people's reservations are effecting their opinion (or even mine the other way). Similar to how at the beginning of lockdown you had people convinced when they went out or looked out there window, that it was 'like a normal day out there' when evidence shows it was anything but.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I asked security at Crayford Sainsbury’s why they were allowing people in without masks - he told me they are not allowed to question people’s medical ‘status’ i.e. people who claim their medical condition means they don’t have to wear a mask

Not bollocks at all.

Why should decent citizens in a supposedly free country have to discuss sensitive personal medical matters with shop assistants and security guards in the shopping centre?

You wouldn't dare ask a disabled person to leave their wheelchair because they take up too much space in the aisles.

Sorry, but I think thats utter tosh. If you are so "disabled" that you can't put something over your nose & mouth for a short period of time then you should be willing to carry something like a lanyard saying why that is the case.Thats not "discussing ones medical issues" its simply letting people know why you can't adhere to the rules and to stop both you & them having to have that conversation. I've never heard a driver not display their blue badge when entitled to because they don't want people knowing they are "disabled". I believe you dont even need a Dr's certificate & you can simply print a form off the Gov.uk website. 

Most people not wearing a mask are the same people who generally dont give a toss about anything & think rules don't apply to them.There are selfish people in this world & they do what they like. I just try to go about my business & don't give them a second thought. 
    Wow. Two ranting paragraphs of not giving them a second thought.

Perhaps I should just have "Unclean" tattooed on my forehead so you can feel comfortable that me not wearing a face covering is legit.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    LenGlover said:

Not bollocks at all.

Wow. Two ranting paragraphs of not giving them a second thought.

Perhaps I should just have "Unclean" tattooed on my forehead so you can feel comfortable that me not wearing a face covering is legit.
    I don't stick up for Golfie very often, but I read it that he doesn't give wearing a mask a second thought? So surely the second paragraph has nothing to do with those who are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons? 
  • Options
    I am not overly concerned about the virus for myself as I am 95% sure that I have had it and that even if I were to get it again I would be very unlikely to be seriously unwell. 

That doesn’t stop me from wearing a mask in the shops nor does it stop me being frustrated when, as yesterday when I went into A litre Sainsbury’s, five customers and three employees. Me and my son were the only ones in masks.

We had initially forgotten the masks, remembered at the end of our road, turned round and got them. Despite loss of others not seemingly giving a shit, we would do the same if we forgot them again. 
  • Options
    Thats a really good point our resident ex newsagent proprietor makes about it not being the battleground to die upon 

I am what a lot of people would call a conspiracy theorist in that I second guess and try to objectively see the end goal when political decisions are made 

The whole spiel about control of a popukus by asking or suggesting maybe even giving guidelines to wear a face covering in public  and supposed forced vaccinations I just cannot link. Governments don't like face coverings they like to be able to know who is where and who is up to what but I wouldn't credit this government with the intelligence to carry that through. They couldn't handle a change to fucking universal credit which is a big machine doing the thinking for them for crying out loud! 

And now to see my Facebook timeline full of people properly ranting about this supposed control measure who are simply being fed propaganda from mainstream sources and peddling it. 

For what it is worth I think mainstream media need to somehow take some ownership of the flavour of what it put out and the devisive nature of it. At the very least they need to be reporting and broadcasting on something like Qanon if for no other reason to reign in some of the tripe being released by muppets which is completely untrue but done under some supposed affiliation with Qanon 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    what is Qanon? 
  • Options
    I wear a mask but as soon as I’m out of the shop it’s off.
    Oppressive, horrible things.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    colthe3rd said:

I'm not trying to be rude or clever, but there is a possible link between the more expensive places like Waitrose having more adherence to the rules.

Poundland & Iceland possibly having less adherence in my experience (walking past).

The cheaper the store the less some people seem to care about others.
  • Options
    petrol stations are an odd one. i have been in a 3 different ones since the mask regulations have been introduced and no one including the staff wears a face mask. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I'm not trying to be rude or clever, but there is a possible link between the more expensive places like Waitrose having more adherence to the rules.

Poundland & Iceland possibly having less adherance.

I was wary of saying this, but my experience too. Also, in my experience most of those not wearing masks or not wearing them properly are those I would 'not wish to challenge'.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I was wary of saying this, but my experience too. Also, in my experience most of those not wearing masks or not wearing them properly are those I would 'not wish to challenge'.
    But there are some people out there who expect the staff to challenge those not wearing masks
  • Options
    petrol stations are an odd one. i have been in a 3 different ones since the mask regulations have been introduced and no one including the staff wears a face mask. 
    I’ve noticed this too, but it’s not an easy one because if you’ve already filled up and then can’t enter the shop, what are you supposed to do?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    colthe3rd said:

But there are some people out there who expect the staff to challenge those not wearing masks
    I think staff have a different role to members of the public. That said I|appreciate the difficulties so maybe it should be security staff? And I am talking about challenging people on public transport such as trains and tubes