Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers nor supermarkets enforce it and they should if it’s a government ruling but then again not all bus drivers wear them.

I’ve also only got one ear and it keeps slipping off!
    Bus drivers in London don't need to wear masks as their cab is sealed off from the passenger area
    That's not entirely true because there are still holes in the panels and at the same time some drivers do wear them and perhaps it would be useful if they set an example, and they all wore them, to encourage others to do the same.

If I'm honest, for the most part of this lockdown since March I haven't worn a mask and only do so now the regulations are tightening up but as I said I'm not sure how effective they are?

I do feel we see the extremes of peoples behaviour some take things extremely seriously and have a heart attack if you get within 0.0000001 of breaking social distancing and other perhaps like me who feel fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

I do feel there is a lot of scaremongering going on but that's just me.

I agree, but you don't have the right to scare other people (best case scenario) or put them at genuine risk when contravening the official advice. 

I am not personally worried about COVID and I'm not bothered about masks either way, but I have a duty as a citizen, to those around me for their piece of mind and safety, to follow the guidelines to the letter.
    I'm not that ugly!!!

Has it been announced that it's mandatory to wear them everywhere, I didn't think it was? I don't listen to the news?

Don't get me wrong I do observe social distancing as much as one can in a busy city like London but as I've already said some people are extreme and others, not just me, aren't.

• Options
    I’ve not used public transport since lockdown, buses train or taxis, so can’t pass on what I would have seen, but is it a cultural thing that we’ll get better at the longer this goes on?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers nor supermarkets enforce it and they should if it’s a government ruling but then again not all bus drivers wear them.

Bus drivers in London don't need to wear masks as their cab is sealed off from the passenger area
    That's not entirely true because there are still holes in the panels and at the same time some drivers do wear them and perhaps it would be useful if they set an example, and they all wore them, to encourage others to do the same.

If I'm honest, for the most part of this lockdown since March I haven't worn a mask and only do so now the regulations are tightening up but as I said I'm not sure how effective they are?

I do feel we see the extremes of peoples behaviour some take things extremely seriously and have a heart attack if you get within 0.0000001 of breaking social distancing and other perhaps like me who feel fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

I agree, but you don't have the right to scare other people (best case scenario) or put them at genuine risk when contravening the official advice. 

I am not personally worried about COVID and I'm not bothered about masks either way, but I have a duty as a citizen, to those around me for their piece of mind and safety, to follow the guidelines to the letter.
    I'm not that ugly!!!

Has it been announced that it's mandatory to wear them everywhere, I didn't think it was? I don't listen to the news?

Don't get me wrong I do observe social distancing as much as one can in a busy city like London but as I've already said some people are extreme and others, not just me, aren't.

Haha I'm sure you're not! I'm talking more just observing social distancing when walking around and strictly wearing masks when in areas you are supposed to. 

The last thing I would want is to make someone else feel uncomfortable
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Genuine question. 

I travel regularly on trains and tube for work and am astonished at the high numbers who are not wearing a face mask at all or who wear it on their chin or forehead - in which case, why wear one there at all? I am guessing just in case there is the small chance they get challenged and then they will put it on to save being fined?

I appreciate some people have hidden illnesses and disabilities. If most of those not wearing them have a hidden reason, there is an astonishing number with these conditions. I appreciate it may not be possible for everyone, but I know people with some of these conditions who are wearing a mask; partially because they are actually more vulnerable because of said condition.

Of course I am not an expert but like the majority, I am not qualified to be able to make a decision about whether it is better to wear one or not. But it seems such a little sacrifice and discomfort, if it makes  a difference.

I don't want to offend anyone with this comment, which is only based on my experience, but the majority of those I have seen are from groups disproportionately affected by the virus.
    Because the ones with no medically sound reason not to wear a mask are conspiracy theorist morons.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Genuine question. 

I travel regularly on trains and tube for work and am astonished at the high numbers who are not wearing a face mask at all or who wear it on their chin or forehead - in which case, why wear one there at all? I am guessing just in case there is the small chance they get challenged and then they will put it on to save being fined?

I appreciate some people have hidden illnesses and disabilities. If most of those not wearing them have a hidden reason, there is an astonishing number with these conditions. I appreciate it may not be possible for everyone, but I know people with some of these conditions who are wearing a mask; partially because they are actually more vulnerable because of said condition.

Of course I am not an expert but like the majority, I am not qualified to be able to make a decision about whether it is better to wear one or not. But it seems such a little sacrifice and discomfort, if it makes  a difference.

I don't want to offend anyone with this comment, which is only based on my experience, but the majority of those I have seen are from groups disproportionately affected by the virus.
    Because they're conspiracy theorist morons.
    This may be true of a tiny minority, but some just don’t believe in the effectiveness of masks. Yes we should all be wearing them, but not everyone choosing not to is a conspiracy theorist.
  • Options
    I wrote to ASDA, because I was so concerned at the number of people in my local store not wearing a mask and absolutely no enforcement - or even anyone just making friendly requests.  I received two responses on from their Customer Services team and one from their Executive Relations team.  The messages I received led me to believe that they weren't genuinely interested in dealing with it and were doing the bare minimum. Indeed the first one opened with the line, "We trust our customers to embrace the new rules and wear a face covering when visiting our stores". That in response to me detailing where that trust had been abused. I've done my shopping in Waitrose and Morrissons since then. It's been a much better experience.
  • Options
    I’ve not used public transport since lockdown, buses train or taxis, so can’t pass on what I would have seen, but is it a cultural thing that we’ll get better at the longer this goes on?
    Unfortunately I think it's the opposite and it's something that people will become more complacent about. 

I remember before lockdown saying that most people won't stand for it until they see people dying in their hundreds and some saying that people are more responsible than that.

Some are, but enough to keep the R rate above 1, aren't. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Genuine question. 

This may be true of a tiny minority, but some just don’t believe in the effectiveness of masks. Yes we should all be wearing them, but not everyone choosing not to is a conspiracy theorist.
    If you don't believe in the effectiveness of wearing a mask, ask why the countries that made it mandatory and where people listened the virus didn't hang about as long and as in high numbers as it has over here.

If one person wears a mask, it'll catch most of their breath.

If both people wear masks then you double the efficiency at worst.
  • Options
    A woman on the radio the other day was saying she doesn’t wear one as she was the victim of rape and a mask reminds her of the way she was gagged during her ordeal. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether that’s a valid excuse or not, but she did make the point that there should be a badge system for those exempt. At the moment, you have to download something onto your phone which you can show people, but she said it doesn’t stop looks and tutting etc and she can’t always be bothered to get her phone out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    A woman on the radio the other day was saying she doesn’t wear one as she was the victim of rape and a mask reminds her of the way she was gagged during her ordeal. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether that’s a valid excuse or not, but she did make the point that there should be a badge system for those exempt. At the moment, you have to download something onto your phone which you can show people, but she said it doesn’t stop looks and tutting etc and she can’t always be bothered to get her phone out.
    Can't be bothered?

There's the problem
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I do understand her scenario and I am sure there are many others. I kind of wish I could differentiate between those who genuinely can't wear a mask and those that don't for 'whatever reason'. I admit to challenging a few people; some of whom have then complied and others who have told me where to go. What is frustrating is people aren't having to do something that is of personal detriment and could stop a friend, family member of goodness forbid a total stranger form getting sick or even worse
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Yup, rape victims, disabilities, lots of tragic experiences and unfortunate situations people find themselves in but unfortunately they could end up (obviously completely without intent) being the carrier of an infection that kills someone. 

Would you be happy with a surgeon saying that they wanted to operate on you without a mask because they had been raped? I'm not trying to be inflammatory I'm really not but unfortunately this is a public health crisis and you can put other people at risk. No one has the right to do that in my opinion. 

Should someone be allowed to not wear a seat belt in the front seat of a car for some sort of medical/mental health issue, in my opinion yes, but should someone be allowed to sit behind a driver/passenger without a seatbelt (potentially hitting them in the back of the head in a collision, I remember a terrible road awareness advert about that, will stick with me forever), no.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Genuine question. 

If you don't believe in the effectiveness of wearing a mask, ask why the countries that made it mandatory and where people listened the virus didn't hang about as long and as in high numbers as it has over here.

Yeah, that’s a separate debate really, just saying not everyone who doesn’t wear one is a conspiracy theorist.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Can't be bothered?

There's the problem
    I think her point was if she got her phone out every time someone gave her a dirty look or questioned her, she’d be forever waving her phone around. Whereas a badge would let people know immediately that she was exempt (assuming of course rape is a valid exemption reason).
  • Options
    Thats the problem with all of a sudden mandating something like wearing masks in shops. As a society we find it weird and unsettling. If i had been forced to wear a mask and was raped no way would I wear one and no way would I be willing to share with everyone the reason I was not wearing a mask

What I genuinely struggle with is people not wearing one because they see it as a muzzle yet by wearing one in shops you are makong yourself unidentifiable. Ive been more concerned with the use of CCTV everywhere than wearing a mask

Aside from the fact that people in the far East have worn them for the best part of 20 years as a considerate act which seems to have worked 

• Options
    Was in a supermarket this afternoon, and really surprised how few people were wearing a mask. But then they weren't challenged by staff/security
    Not allowed to challenge by law in my shop
  • Options
    I get that and why would anyone, have you seen what happens when people get asked to take their feet off the seats on trains? 

All well and good saying staff should challenge people but what back up would they get and what right do they have? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Genuine question. 

Yeah, that’s a separate debate really, just saying not everyone who doesn’t wear one is a conspiracy theorist.
    We only have to see what’s going on at the moment in our club, along with the expose of countless high profile figures and governments throughout time to now know that to believe everything you’re told would be foolish. 

Everyone has an agenda and will argue their cause until they’re blue in the face and particularly if there’s money involved and lots of it.

You only have to look at the Pharmaceutical companies not wishing for cannabis to be made available, even though there appears to be proof that it can help some people because it would hurt their profit margins, rather than the benefit of those suffering!

https://www.bitchute.com/video/j6XnT6nkSmmz/

• Options

People are usually very relaxed when something doesn't affect them - the selfishness of a lot of people in this country never ceases to amaze me. 

So many people bang on about their rights but forget about the rights of others. 
    The truth is it could affect me, I may have it and not know as some don’t show symptoms.

As I said I do wear a mask now in shops and on transport but not if I’m just on the street/outside.

I think it’s also fair to say some people are a bit hyper and over the top about the whole thing.

Lets face it the information that’s been put out by the government at times has been contradictory!
  • Options
    Am not convinced at all for the necessity of wearing face masks but I do when in shopping centres etc. but if i have to wear one why do so many not? And I'm talking about young and apparently fit people (and couples). By the way in 1968 Hong Kong flu killed some 85,000 in this country. No lock-downs and no masks then. Just saying.
  • Options
    Apologies... think that was 1986.
  • Options
    Absolutely it has been 

The government have been deliberately vague about some stuff in my opinion 

The cynic in me says they are using the working class as guinea pigs in the journey back to normality and were doing so throughout lockdown 

• Options
    Carter said:
    I get that and why would anyone, have you seen what happens when people get asked to take their feet off the seats on trains? 

All well and good saying staff should challenge people but what back up would they get and what right do they have? 
    Maybe the sort of people who put their feet on train seats are those who you don't want to challenge  for doing so and those who it would be ok to don't do it in the first place?
  • Options
    Yeah thats my point 

• Options
    edited August 2020
    LenGlover said:
    I asked security at Crayford Sainsbury’s why they were allowing people in without masks - he told me they are not allowed to question people’s medical ‘status’ i.e. people who claim their medical condition means they don’t have to wear a mask

What a load of bollocks (and he agreed with me)
    Not bollocks at all.

People are entitled to privacy.

Why should decent citizens in a supposedly free country have to discuss sensitive personal medical matters with shop assistants and security guards in the shopping centre?

It's a matter for them and their doctor if they choose to involve one.

You wouldn't dare ask a disabled person to leave their wheelchair because they take up too much space in the aisles.

The only difference is that you can see one disability and not the other.

Sorry, but I think thats utter tosh. If you are so "disabled" that you can't put something over your nose & mouth for a short period of time then you should be willing to carry something like a lanyard saying why that is the case.Thats not "discussing ones medical issues" its simply letting people know why you can't adhere to the rules and to stop both you & them having to have that conversation. I've never heard a driver not display their blue badge when entitled to because they don't want people knowing they are "disabled". I believe you dont even need a Dr's certificate & you can simply print a form off the Gov.uk website. 

Most people not wearing a mask are the same people who generally dont give a toss about anything & think rules don't apply to them.There are selfish people in this world & they do what they like. I just try to go about my business & don't give them a second thought.