Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Why cant people who cant breathe through a mask at least wear one of these?
    Nike designs personal protective equipment for Oregon hospitals
    It won't fit in my pocket.

Seriously I was saying the same earlier.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I think there is a sort of hyperbole with this whole thing, the vast majority of people are wearing masks wherever they need to be. I think it's just more noticeable when someone isn't so we build it up more in our heads about the true numbers who aren't.

Of those who don't wear one, I'm sure there are a number that don't due to health reasons and for the rest? I'd honestly like to ask some people, it could be they've spent too much time on Facebook and some of the nonsense being shared on there or maybe they just have an issue with authority. I've recently moved from a less wealthy area to one that is definitely more gentrified and the numbers wearing masks here in shops and on transport is definitely higher. Maybe it's part of the authority issue thing but it is definitely an interesting social study that I'd like to read about if any are done in the future.   
    Sadly it's not true. Was in an ASDA this afternoon and barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. Was quite disappointed actually
    Counted every single one of them did you? 
    Unnecessary 
    Not at all, when someone tells me I'm lying about something but only backs it up with some made up percentage. Absolutely necessary. 
    Not sure why you're taking my comment so personally. I never said you were lying, all I was talking about was MY personal experience, that in the supermarket I'd been in on Friday afternoon, barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. It was ASDA in Colindale incidentally, a relatively poor area

And what do you mean by "made up" percentage anyway? Obviously I don't have the exact percentage, it might have been 40%, it might have been 60%, but it was approximately 50%, and certainly not the 95% you'd expect if you allow for 5% with genuine medical reasons for not wearing masks
    Because when you say to someone something they've said is not true you're calling them a liar. It's fine if you want to say something like in my experience or on this one occasion I didn't see many wearing one. 

And yes it is a made up number, you saw yourself a fraction of the people in the supermarket in the time you were there and I very much doubt you counted all of the people you saw wearing one and didn't wearing one. Now I'm not about to be a hypocrite and call you a liar but is it a possibility that as per my first post you maybe took a lot more notice of the ones not wearing a mask because they stand out more?

I only reacted the way I did as it felt like you were calling me a liar by saying my comment was not true when in my experience, from what I've read and from everyone I've spoken to the majority are wearing masks unfortunately there are number who are not and that is the issue. Maybe you did see more people not wearing them on this one small snapshot of one place you visited, that doesn't make my comment not true. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I think there is a sort of hyperbole with this whole thing, the vast majority of people are wearing masks wherever they need to be. I think it's just more noticeable when someone isn't so we build it up more in our heads about the true numbers who aren't.

Of those who don't wear one, I'm sure there are a number that don't due to health reasons and for the rest? I'd honestly like to ask some people, it could be they've spent too much time on Facebook and some of the nonsense being shared on there or maybe they just have an issue with authority. I've recently moved from a less wealthy area to one that is definitely more gentrified and the numbers wearing masks here in shops and on transport is definitely higher. Maybe it's part of the authority issue thing but it is definitely an interesting social study that I'd like to read about if any are done in the future.   
    Sadly it's not true. Was in an ASDA this afternoon and barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. Was quite disappointed actually
    Unnecessary 
    Not at all, when someone tells me I'm lying about something but only backs it up with some made up percentage. Absolutely necessary. 
    Not sure why you're taking my comment so personally. I never said you were lying, all I was talking about was MY personal experience, that in the supermarket I'd been in on Friday afternoon, barely 50% of customers were wearing masks. It was ASDA in Colindale incidentally, a relatively poor area

And what do you mean by "made up" percentage anyway? Obviously I don't have the exact percentage, it might have been 40%, it might have been 60%, but it was approximately 50%, and certainly not the 95% you'd expect if you allow for 5% with genuine medical reasons for not wearing masks
    Because when you say to someone something they've said is not true you're calling them a liar. It's fine if you want to say something like in my experience or on this one occasion I didn't see many wearing one. 

And yes it is a made up number, you saw yourself a fraction of the people in the supermarket in the time you were there and I very much doubt you counted all of the people you saw wearing one and didn't wearing one. Now I'm not about to be a hypocrite and call you a liar but is it a possibility that as per my first post you maybe took a lot more notice of the ones not wearing a mask because they stand out more?

I only reacted the way I did as it felt like you were calling me a liar by saying my comment was not true when in my experience, from what I've read and from everyone I've spoken to the majority are wearing masks unfortunately there are number who are not and that is the issue. Maybe you did see more people not wearing them on this one small snapshot of one place you visited, that doesn't make my comment not true. 
    I think people are able to gauge what % of people they have seen at any particular time. Yes it is going to be plus or minus a bit, but I think we can trust people with what they have seen. I know what I have seen but know there is a margin or error no matter how objective I am. But I also know it is only my experience and a small sample in the scheme of things. But what I have seen worries me on many fronts, hence my thread. It does seem London is maybe worse than elsewhere
  • Options
    I think if you nip in somewhere and others wearing a mask it’s fine not to wear a horrible mask. 
    Get a nice mask then derr 
    don’t have to wear a horrible one 😷🤡
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Unnecessary 

I think people are able to gauge what % of people they have seen at any particular time. Yes it is going to be plus or minus a bit, but I think we can trust people with what they have seen. I know what I have seen but know there is a margin or error no matter how objective I am. But I also know it is only my experience and a small sample in the scheme of things. But what I have seen worries me on many fronts, hence my thread. It does seem London is maybe worse than elsewhere
    But then you're agreeing with my point. At that particular point in time the poster may have seen less than half wearing them, does that mean less than half in Asda at that time were wearing them? no. Does it mean my comment is not true? no. 

In fact I'd go as far as to challenge anyone on here to tell me that on a a regular occurrence every place they've been to where wearing masks is mandatory that they've seen less than half of people wearing masks. One occurrence does not equal fact.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Unnecessary 

But then you're agreeing with my point. At that particular point in time the poster may have seen less than half wearing them, does that mean less than half in Asda at that time were wearing them? no. Does it mean my comment is not true? no. 

In fact I'd go as far as to challenge anyone on here to tell me that on a a regular occurrence every place they've been to where wearing masks is mandatory that they've seen less than half of people wearing masks. One occurrence does not equal fact.
    I couldn't say what someone else saw. But if they judge they saw less than 50% then I accept that. Doesn't mean that is the norm but maybe the norm is even less
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Unnecessary 

I couldn't say what someone else saw. But if they judge they saw less than 50% then I accept that. Doesn't mean that is the norm but maybe the norm is even less
    Come on now, the norm might be less than 50%? I think we can all safely say that is not the case.
  • Options
    I think it's all quite sad really.
    Reading quite a few of the posts on here, it's no wonder that there are people out there wearing masks who shouldn't be.
    They would rather wear a mask and their own health possibly suffer than feel the wrath of other people.
    Yes there are some people who should be wearing a mask who are not.
    Equally theres some who do have a medical condition who dont.
    Myself I dont know who should and shouldn't be wearing a mask and assume they've all got a medical condition.
    For those of us that the wearing of masks bothers us so much, on your next outing ask the non wearing if they have a medical condition.
    Of course some of us would be frightened of a volley of abuse or a smack in the mouth off someone.
    Equally I think some wouldn't ask because when the other person produced a few asthma pumps and were told "that all right with you"  they'd have to spend the next 30 seconds apologising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Unnecessary 

Come on now, the norm might be less than 50%? I think we can all safely say that is not the case.
    Wasn't he just quoting one occasion not the norm? i Can't safely say anything as I wasn't there
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Reading quite a few of the posts on here, it's no wonder that there are people out there wearing masks who shouldn't be.
    They would rather wear a mask and their own health possibly suffer than feel the wrath of other people.
    Myself I dont know who should and shouldn't be wearing a mask and assume they've all got a medical condition.
    For those of us that the wearing of masks bothers us so much, on your next outing ask the non wearing if they have a medical condition.
    Of course some of us would be frightened of a volley of abuse or a smack in the mouth off someone.
    Equally I think some wouldn't ask because when the other person produced a few asthma pumps and were told "that all right with you"  they'd have to spend the next 30 seconds apologising.
    Unfortunately I don't think the majority of people I see not wearing masks do have a medical condition. And are also not the sort of people you would want to challenge - hence the issue
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @YTS1978 dont think I’m being chippy as that’s not the intention, but can you explain how a small thin piece of cloth impacts on your breathing? 

As it’s not an actual barrier (unlike a nose peg or something shoved up your nostril), part of me thinks it’s more psychological than physical when I hear the argument from those saying they can’t breath with it on.  So I’m open to being educated on this
    I don't think you're being chippy mate, so no problem. One of my nostrils is completely shut, and I'm due to have a septoplasty to solve the problem. I have issues breathing normally on a day to day, especially during summer as I suffer from hayfever too, so my one useful nostril is often blocked or in turmoil! Am always ill in the morning due to the build up of crap on my lungs and suffer from sleep apnea. Not comfortable. Some of it may be psychological, as I'm petrified of not being able to breath properly, due to the illness I've had over the past 2yrs. It may be just a little piece of cloth to most people  but its honestly a big barrier for some others.
    You sound exactly like me but worse.
    It's a nightmare. I honestly dont think there's anything worse than the feeling of not being able to breath. It can cause panic, which obviously makes things a lot worse. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out soon
    Not trying to be chippy either, but many people breathe through their mouths rather than their noses. Couldn’t that be a solution if having to wear a mask for a short time, like when on the tube?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @YTS1978 dont think I’m being chippy as that’s not the intention, but can you explain how a small thin piece of cloth impacts on your breathing? 

As it’s not an actual barrier (unlike a nose peg or something shoved up your nostril), part of me thinks it’s more psychological than physical when I hear the argument from those saying they can’t breath with it on.  So I’m open to being educated on this
    I don't think you're being chippy mate, so no problem. One of my nostrils is completely shut, and I'm due to have a septoplasty to solve the problem. I have issues breathing normally on a day to day, especially during summer as I suffer from hayfever too, so my one useful nostril is often blocked or in turmoil! Am always ill in the morning due to the build up of crap on my lungs and suffer from sleep apnea. Not comfortable. Some of it may be psychological, as I'm petrified of not being able to breath properly, due to the illness I've had over the past 2yrs. It may be just a little piece of cloth to most people  but its honestly a big barrier for some others.
    It's a nightmare. I honestly dont think there's anything worse than the feeling of not being able to breath. It can cause panic, which obviously makes things a lot worse. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out soon
    Not trying to be chippy either, but many people breathe through their mouths rather than their noses. Couldn’t that be a solution if having to wear a mask for a short time, like when on the tube?
    This is a good point. I find that I am breathing through my mouth when wearing a mask anyway.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:

This is a good point. I find that I am breathing through my mouth when wearing a mask anyway.
    I hear you, but when you have breathing difficulties it's not quite as easy as just saying "just breath through your mouth instead mate". It is quite difficult to explain tbh! Maybe it's the restructictive nature of it and a psychological element too, it's just very uncomfortable. Having said that I did wear my mask like a good boy on the tube between finsbury park and turnpike lane this morning.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers nor supermarkets enforce it and they should if it’s a government ruling but then again not all bus drivers wear them.

I’ve also only got one ear and it keeps slipping off!
    Bus drivers in London don't need to wear masks as their cab is sealed off from the passenger area
    That's not entirely true because there are still holes in the panels and at the same time some drivers do wear them and perhaps it would be useful if they set an example, and they all wore them, to encourage others to do the same.

If I'm honest, for the most part of this lockdown since March I haven't worn a mask and only do so now the regulations are tightening up but as I said I'm not sure how effective they are?

I do feel we see the extremes of peoples behaviour some take things extremely seriously and have a heart attack if you get within 0.0000001 of breaking social distancing and other perhaps like me who feel fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

I do feel there is a lot of scaremongering going on but that's just me.

I agree, but you don't have the right to scare other people (best case scenario) or put them at genuine risk when contravening the official advice. 

I am not personally worried about COVID and I'm not bothered about masks either way, but I have a duty as a citizen, to those around me for their piece of mind and safety, to follow the guidelines to the letter.
    Thank you...the wearing of masks helps prevent spread from you to others.  Why should I protect others while they do as they damn well pleasey. Same with raves and protests about anything at the moment. Especially about Covid being a con. A fellow organised a protest like that in the US. He caught Covid at the rally and died  telling his nurse what a fool he had been. He was 33. 
    I've read that post three or four times now and it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are you saying you are for or against the wearing of masks? Or is it that you're for it, but as nobody else bothers you don't see why you should bother either?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Unfortunately I don't think the majority of people I see not wearing masks do have a medical condition. And are also not the sort of people you would want to challenge - hence the issue
    That's one reason Fiona , the other one is youd spend the other times having to apologise.
  • Options
    Today’s Times 

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    That's one reason Fiona , the other one is youd spend the other times having to apologise.
    Apologising for what? A minority have hidden conditions and those normally have a contrite look so you can pretty much guess who they are from the 'others' who are quote different particularly in attitude - the opposite of contrite
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was on the tube twice today. 100% wearing masks therefore everyone must be wearing masks all the time. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Was on the tube twice today. 100% wearing masks therefore everyone must be wearing masks all the time. 
    I wish. Sadly not
  • Options
    Just got off at charing cross. Majority wearing one although builder boy walked past 5 coppers while wearing his mask under his chin. Not a word said.
  • Options
    Just got off at charing cross. Majority wearing one although builder boy walked past 5 coppers while wearing his mask under his chin. Not a word said.
    What can they say other than refer him to guidelines 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:

I hear you, but when you have breathing difficulties it's not quite as easy as just saying "just breath through your mouth instead mate". It is quite difficult to explain tbh! Maybe it's the restructictive nature of it and a psychological element too, it's just very uncomfortable. Having said that I did wear my mask like a good boy on the tube between finsbury park and turnpike lane this morning.
    Have you tried the face shields? Not tried one myself so not sure if they are any less restrictive, they do look more comfortable 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    siblers said:
    YTS1978 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:

Have you tried the face shields? Not tried one myself so not sure if they are any less restrictive, they do look more comfortable 
    I don't the answer, but are they as effective?  I've seen pictures of waiters wearing them, but being open at the bottom, I am wondering if the droplets could be directed downwards onto the food. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    One of the problems with face mask wearing is that the evidence. It is one of those things that most experts/scientists think it is probably beneficial to wear one but are not sure to what extent it is beneficial. In a world of absolutes, some people have difficulties with this.

It didn't help that the Government took so long implement policies and the WHO was so vague about mandating people use them, and there is a vagueness around those who are exempt that suggest it isn't that big a deal anyway. What I mean is people can pretty much decide themselves whether they are exempt of not. This undermines the seriousness of it.

I have long been an advocate of wearing them in shops, enclosed places. The compelling message which was delivered very early in this crisis was that non medical masks do more to prevent a person spreading the virus than catching it. This probability demanded everybody wore one. 

The way we should all look at it is if masks didn't make a difference or a great difference, would wearing them make things worse? The answer is of course not. It is just many people don't think like that.

There are different face masks out there and some are less restrictive than others. 
  • Options
    I’m very surprised with the level of compliance shown with the wearing of face coverings. I’ve seen 90% compliance on the few occasions I’ve shopped or used public transport.  

This is proven by the comments on this thread. I’m also surprised that only a few have actually questioned the wearing of face coverings.

Can anyone point me to any actual scientific evidence that proves that the wearing of a piece of fabric over the mouth & nose is proven to lower the risk of contracting/spreading C19?

Back in March/April both Boris and Whitty confirmed there is little evidence face coverings makes any difference. The WHO said exactly the same.

Then, when the curve had already flattened and the death rate had plummeted the govt introduce compulsory face coverings. Why? 
    It is really about safety, when that is unproven? Or is it about compliance??

The public are making the governments job very easy by complying and not questioning this law.  Next time they consider introducing a repressive law it won’t be given a second thought, they will crack on because the public have proven to be broadly compliant .

I wore a mask for a supermarket visit on the first day of compulsion on holiday in the Lake District, a place I’ve always found to be one of the friendliest places on the planet. Strangers wish you a good morning, they smile and start conversations, strangers actually chat to you in pubs. In that supermarket everyone walked around in a zombie state, obviously no smiles, no chit chat, people just existing under this form of repression. 

I will only shop now if absolutely necessary, usually late in the evening when there are few others around. I give everyone a wide berth so they hopefully do not feel threatened by my smile.

Its very sad to read that people here with obvious medical conditions are feeling inclined to wear a mask purely to avoid being risking public shaming by the morality police.

At the beginning of the pandemic we didn't have enough face masks, that is why it wasn't made mandatory.  

Those of us who are complying, do so as they know it is for the protection of everyone else.  It is in everyone's interest to do everything they can to stop the spread of the virus. Those not complying with the rules are extremely selfish. If everyone complied with the rules, then we may be able to get back to some thing like normality that much quicker. 

You really don't like being told what to do, do you.  
  • Options
    @stuart_lee_SE9

Its one of many questions which you aren’t allowed to question or argue. For example, the second wave is meant to be worse than the first wave but all Nightingale hospitals have been taken down. 

Alternatively, government want to increase testing but everyday they have capacity for almost 200k test which aren’t use. 

Regarding face masks I’m struggling to name one other law which has so many exceptions. I’m certain most other law applies to everyone with zero exemptions.