Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    When wearing my mask I find myself breathing through my mouth rather than my nose and it is hit and miss whether my glasses steam up. I hate wearing it, but I must, as it is the right thing to do to protect everyone around me and to prevent the spread of infection which  helps me too. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I am excused wearing a face mask, because I suffer from C.O.P.D., but do wear one because I just don't want the aggravation of having to explain to every one the reason I'm not wearing one.
    COPD with Covid would most likely prematurely end your life. My Sister's mother in law died of that combination, she was mildly overweight in her 60s and otherwise healthy.
  • Options
    There are people who can’t wear masks for medical reasons but there are a hell of a lot more who claim they can’t wear masks for medical reasons. 

I appreciate that some people don’t want to wear a badge saying they are exempt but if it was a requirement to do so, it would be a lot easier to call out the selfish scum who claim they can’t wear one.
    Also, I would have thought wearing a badge would eliminate the funny looks these people are likely to get. Pregnant women wear badges on the underground. It does seem to be the simplest solution to me. Nothing is ideal.
    Those badges for pregnant women work. I learnt a long time ago to not gamble with giving seats up on public transport. 

Far better a pregnant women is standing up than a fat girl is sat down crying 

I'm kidding, I always give seats up, drives my missus mental 

I am in the clan of disliking wearing a mask, in fact I'm in the clan of disliking a lot of stuff.

Indoor interaction is what spreads viruses well. When I worked outdoors, cheek by jowl with people I rarely got colds, and when one of us did it would be gone quickly. 

When I have worked indoors, I can be guaranteed 4 maybe even 5 colds and coughs a year that hang around as they make their way round everyone via peoples insistence of coming into work when ill, the management insistence that people come in ill to be sent home rather than work from home and then the air circulation with no windows open 

Maybe some of the Mediterranean places have done so much better because everything is well ventilated, breeze is captured and encouraged
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    As I have already stated above those that cannot wear a tight fitting face mask should wear the PVC Visors. The gap between your nose and mouth is more than enough to breath normally and fresh air enters on all three sides. They slip on the top of your head like a cap. 
    And they should absolutely not use these for waiting staff in cafe's, pubs, bars and restaurants as when you breathe out the air hits the visor and goes straight down into your chest/the food and drinks you may be carrying. 
    I agree, on one of the few occasions I have eaten in a pub recently, the waitress wore a visor and the plates of food were carried immediately underneath the open end and it felt very unsafe.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    As I have already stated above those that cannot wear a tight fitting face mask should wear the PVC Visors. The gap between your nose and mouth is more than enough to breath normally and fresh air enters on all three sides. They slip on the top of your head like a cap. 
    And they should absolutely not use these for waiting staff in cafe's, pubs, bars and restaurants as when you breathe out the air hits the visor and goes straight down into your chest/the food and drinks you may be carrying. 
    I agree, on one of the few occasions I have eaten in a pub recently, the waitress wore a visor and the plates of food were carried immediately underneath the open end and it felt very unsafe.
    I thought there was very little evidence to support transmission via food.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know about you, but my nostrils point downwards anyway. I'm not convinced there would be any air 'hitting the visor'.

I could well be wrong, but I thought the idea of visors was more about protecting the wearer than others. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As from today it is obligatory to wear a mask outdoors in the town in which I live. I give it until December before I have to wear it in my own garden.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If the waitress/waiter coughed or sneezed, it would go straight down onto the food and if they were infected then I would have thought that you would be swallowing the virus with your food. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
    you're not funny
    if you're genuinely confused, stay home, we'll all be safer
    Not trying to be funny. Would just like a sensible answer to what I believe is a reasonable question without being patronised.

And I do stay at home, not from confusion, but because this virus would more than likely finish me off.

Correlation is not the same as causality.  

The numbers of reported cases and the perception of increased mask wearing run in parallel to each other - there is no direct causal link.

The single dominant factor in the increasing number of people reported as testing positive for the virus is the massive jump in the number of people tested for the virus.  You'll remember that Covidiot-in-Chief DJ Trump advocated less testing to suppress the figures
    The percentage of those 'positive' individuals falling ill enough to require hospital treatment is a fraction of what it was in April & May.  Back then the number tested was tiny and the overwhelming majority of those tested were already ill in hospital or working there.  In layman's terms: 6 months ago testing was focused like a sniper selects individual targets, today testing is scattergun like a machine gun on a tower firing into a crowd.  The number of hits has nothing to do with the gunman's skill.  The discrepancy between today's statistics and those in April has little to do with the infectiousness of COVID.  In April hundreds of thousands of exposed people simply weren't tested.  The absence of positives tests does not prove that hundreds of thousands were uninfected.

Today more people might be getting the message that taking precautions endorsed by scientists might be sensible because they see the worrying statistics on the news every day.  The perception of increased mask wearing is also distorted since masks became compulsory e.g. on public transport.  Non-compliance has become a contentious issue.  Attention is focused on facemasks and visors to an unprecedented degree.
    Mask wearing when in company, keeping distance from others and regular routine hand washing won't cure you of anything but they help to protect you and those with whom you interact.
    To this point there is no substantiated evidence that wearing a protective face covering increases your risk of contagion.
    Wearing a face covering provides an obvious mechanical limitation to your propensity to project infected particles outwards on breath, coughs or sneezes.
    Similarly they provide a barrier or filter for particles you may breathe in.
    They are in no way, nor ever have been touted as, a cure all panacea negating the risk of transmission.  They are just one simple tool, which when used in concert with others, can provide a brake on the distribution of infectious particles.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If the waitress/waiter coughed or sneezed, it would go straight down onto the food and if they were infected then I would have thought that you would be swallowing the virus with your food. 
    Bon appetit!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Stig said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know about you, but my nostrils point downwards anyway. I'm not convinced there would be any air 'hitting the visor'.

I could well be wrong, but I thought the idea of visors was more about protecting the wearer than others. 
    The massive open sides and bottom of a visor would offer minimal protection should someone cough over your shoulder or towards you from the side. If everyone wears a mask and a visor and a hazmat suit, we'll all be fine. 

What about those that breathe out through their mouths?(90%+) In through the nose, out through the mouth... The nostril hairs are there to block debri etc from going up the nose...

Never thought I'd explain how breathing works on a footy forum... :D:wink:

• Options
    As from today it is obligatory to wear a mask outdoors in the town in which I live. I give it until December before I have to wear it in my own garden.

Pal of mine reckoned I was a tin hatter as I said back in August face coverings are a now a permanent part of our lives and taking one out will be as common as carrying our mobile phone. Wonder if he will pay up when I said we will still be permanently wearing face coverings at start of 2022.  
  • Options
    I don't believe there's a single medical condition that would stop you wearing a mask. Would love to be proved wrong outside of anecdotal nonsense, give me scientific facts why someone would not be able to breathe through a mask. 

Unless you don't have ears. 

Autism can cause issues for people
  • Options
    Fair play to some of the charing cross staff tonight wearing the mask under the chin. Legends.

• Options

Pal of mine reckoned I was a tin hatter as I said back in August face coverings are a now a permanent part of our lives and taking one out will be as common as carrying our mobile phone. Wonder if he will pay up when I said we will still be permanently wearing face coverings at start of 2022.  
    You'll win.
  • Options
    Where can I buy a CAFC one?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You'll win.
    How exciting, I know what to get as Christmas Presents for the next two years. I don’t understand why people don’t like them, so many designs. 
    I makes me feel like I can really express my personality when I wear a bespoke one.
  • Options
    For people who cant breathe through a thin surgical mask with wire supports designed to keep it away from your lips, why not at least wear one of these, which are used extensively out east in conjunction with clear visors (stopping any waiter/waitress drippage?
    Picture 2 of 7
  • Options
    Where can I buy a CAFC one?.
    Bournemouth FC
  • Options
    Carter said:
    There are people who can’t wear masks for medical reasons but there are a hell of a lot more who claim they can’t wear masks for medical reasons. 

I appreciate that some people don’t want to wear a badge saying they are exempt but if it was a requirement to do so, it would be a lot easier to call out the selfish scum who claim they can’t wear one.
    Also, I would have thought wearing a badge would eliminate the funny looks these people are likely to get. Pregnant women wear badges on the underground. It does seem to be the simplest solution to me. Nothing is ideal.

Far better a pregnant women is standing up than a fat girl is sat down crying 

I know its a serious thread but that really made me laugh. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    MrWalker said:
    For people who cant breathe through a thin surgical mask with wire supports designed to keep it away from your lips, why not at least wear one of these, which are used extensively out east in conjunction with clear visors (stopping any waiter/waitress drippage?
    Picture 2 of 7
    Went to a restaurant tonight and they were all wearing these ... they looked effective. 
    It's what all the Greeks were wearing in restaurants and bars when I was out there too.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
    you're not funny
    if you're genuinely confused, stay home, we'll all be safer
    Not trying to be funny. Would just like a sensible answer to what I believe is a reasonable question without being patronised.

And I do stay at home, not from confusion, but because this virus would more than likely finish me off.

Correlation is not the same as causality.  

The numbers of reported cases and the perception of increased mask wearing run in parallel to each other - there is no direct causal link.

The single dominant factor in the increasing number of people reported as testing positive for the virus is the massive jump in the number of people tested for the virus.  You'll remember that Covidiot-in-Chief DJ Trump advocated less testing to suppress the figures
    The percentage of those 'positive' individuals falling ill enough to require hospital treatment is a fraction of what it was in April & May.  Back then the number tested was tiny and the overwhelming majority of those tested were already ill in hospital or working there.  In layman's terms: 6 months ago testing was focused like a sniper selects individual targets, today testing is scattergun like a machine gun on a tower firing into a crowd.  The number of hits has nothing to do with the gunman's skill.  The discrepancy between today's statistics and those in April has little to do with the infectiousness of COVID.  In April hundreds of thousands of exposed people simply weren't tested.  The absence of positives tests does not prove that hundreds of thousands were uninfected.

Today more people might be getting the message that taking precautions endorsed by scientists might be sensible because they see the worrying statistics on the news every day.  The perception of increased mask wearing is also distorted since masks became compulsory e.g. on public transport.  Non-compliance has become a contentious issue.  Attention is focused on facemasks and visors to an unprecedented degree.
    Mask wearing when in company, keeping distance from others and regular routine hand washing won't cure you of anything but they help to protect you and those with whom you interact.
    To this point there is no substantiated evidence that wearing a protective face covering increases your risk of contagion.
    Wearing a face covering provides an obvious mechanical limitation to your propensity to project infected particles outwards on breath, coughs or sneezes.
    Similarly they provide a barrier or filter for particles you may breathe in.
    They are in no way, nor ever have been touted as, a cure all panacea negating the risk of transmission.  They are just one simple tool, which when used in concert with others, can provide a brake on the distribution of infectious particles.

Thank you.

That's exactly why I asked the question and you've answered it wonderfully.