Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Comments

• Options
    Another London bus driver has died of Covid. Time surely for no mask, no boarding to be enforced.
    Still a LOT of mainly young people are not bothering.
    Agreed, but who will enforce it? Sadly I would predict that a high percentage of those I see not wearing masks or not wearing them properly would kick off. Or just take them off once on as only wear them on their chin in case they need to wear them to avoid a fine
    The bus driver should just refuse them entry (close the door) or if they are on board refuse to drive away until they either put on a mask or get off the bus. Prize for the dumbest bloke last week goes to the bloke who was refused entry in to Barclays in Bromley because he had no mask, he then asked the lady on the door "Do you know where I can get a mask?" So this dipstick had ventured into Bromley high street and not brought a mask with him! Perhaps he's been isolating for six months?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I work in a Supermarket, we can ask but we are not allowed to prevent entry or insist someone wears a mask. We have a few customers who persistently refuse to wear a mask (one because its all a government conspiracy). I cant see why I cant refuse to serve them. Why should I have to put myself and my family in danger just because of these wankers 
    I can see where there may be genuine issues, with people like dementia for instance but I also think the exemption to mask wearing is too vague. Also, I see a number of people wearing masks with their noses exposed. Some establishments won't allow entry without a mask and I think this has to be the way forward without some medical proof that it can't be worn.

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    I work in a Supermarket, we can ask but we are not allowed to prevent entry or insist someone wears a mask. We have a few customers who persistently refuse to wear a mask (one because its all a government conspiracy). I cant see why I cant refuse to serve them. Why should I have to put myself and my family in danger just because of these wankers 
    I can see where there may be genuine issues, with people like dementia for instance but I also think the exemption to mask wearing is too vague. Also, I see a number of people wearing masks with their noses exposed. Some establishments won't allow entry without a mask and I think this has to be the way forward without some medical proof that it can't be worn.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/scottish-government-announce-card-scheme-those-exempt-wearing-face-coverings-2993321

Scottish government producing their own exceptional medical card which will have been shown whether they are exempt or not.
  • Options
    Why don't the government make it compulsory for a doctors note if you are exempt? Would stop a lot of animosity towards the people not wearing one for a genuine reason. Although I don't really see what the reason would be other than a mental issue 
  • Options
    The simple way around this is if you cannot for any reason wear a close fitting face mask you must wear a clear plastic face shield instead.

If either are not worn then you are not coming in/getting served/getting on etc.
  • Options
    The simple way around this is if you cannot for any reason wear a close fitting face mask you must wear a clear plastic face shield instead.

If either are not worn then you are not coming in/getting served/getting on etc.
    Or allowed to work. You only have to go up town to some of the big stations to see a number of staff not wearing them.
  • Options

Or allowed to work. You only have to go up town to some of the big stations to see a number of staff not wearing them.
    Yes exactly, personally I would have staff at the entrance to stations before the ticket barrier making sure masks were on and being worn before anyone goes onto a platform. No mask, you are not coming in.
  • Options
    I went into the Sainsburys in Petts Wood yesterday, 3 individuals behind me ALL were minus a mask.  Ignorance beyond belief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes exactly, personally I would have staff at the entrance to stations before the ticket barrier making sure masks were on and being worn before anyone goes onto a platform. No mask, you are not coming in.
    I mean station staff, not commuters going to work. I've actually seen a change in recent weeks. More of the station staff are wearing masks. However there are still a number of staff at charing cross and Waterloo east that I see are not wearing them while huddled around chatting to each other.
  • Options
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I do find it confusing that the recent massive increase in the percentage of people wearing face masks seems to have a direct correlation with the massive increase in the number of people being infected with the virus.
    Good point.
  • Options

But this is why some people wear them on the chin, in case they can't get though or could be fined. They just take them down once through/put them on if their are police etc at the gates when they get off
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I thought it was now the law that people wear a mask in shops? 

Ridiculous if entry cannot be refused without a mask. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Yeah, it's nothing to do with millions of kids going back to school/college/university, it's the masks that are the cause.

Correlation != causation

So the current significant increase in Covid cases is all down to schools/colleges/universities?

Who'd have thunk it.

I have two kids at two separate Universities at present, they are both wearing masks in the common parts of their respective buildings and most of their lectures/tutorials are on line.

Correlation = Causation

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

You should not be allowed on public transport without a mask, or allowed in any shops.
    Perhaps the ignorant a***holes will then learn.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

You should not be allowed on public transport without a mask, or allowed in any shops.
    As with the public transport situation, enforcing it is the issue. And the type of person actively not wearing a mask (who are not exempt) and the way they are likely to behave when challenged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some 'celebrities' and sports people seem to think the rules don't apply to them - numerous examples but more likely to get spotted/recognised
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

As with the public transport situation, enforcing it is the issue. And the type of person actively not wearing a mask (who are not exempt) and the way they are likely to behave when challenged.
    Agreed.

Security at mainline train stations and tubes, shops also, bus drivers refusing entry and turning the ignition off.

I realise it is another matter if these people remove the masks once in shops/on board.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Security at mainline train stations and tubes, shops also, bus drivers refusing entry and turning the ignition off.

I realise it is another matter if these people remove the masks once in shops/on board.
    Stopping the bus etc. just inconveniences everyone. The sort who are openly defying wearing a face mask, are generally openly defiant in general. And at most will put on a mask to prevent themselves being stopped from getting a fine or being prevented from going where they want to. But will just take if off once they get want they want
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

Stopping the bus etc. just inconveniences everyone. The sort who are openly defying wearing a face mask, are generally openly defiant in general. And at most will put on a mask to prevent themselves being stopped from getting a fine or being prevented from going where they want to. But will just take if off once they get want they want
    Reading that as CHAVS ;)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

So what is the answer?

Most of these pigs will probably shrug their shoulders then try another bus.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

So what is the answer?

If every bus turns them away they either walk or conform. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hal1x said:

Agreed.

So what is the answer?

London buses are all cashless now, so they've paid with either a credit/debit card or an Oyster card. Either way the government can easily track them down and fine them (unless they are actually medically exempt). This isn't a difficult problem to solve, the government just has no will to actually solve it, probably because it is some combination of too much effort/expense or will cost too many votes.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    If you feel strongly enough about it, you could demand that your employer respects their obligation for a duty of care. It’s official government advice that masks should be worn and a legal requirement in shops. By not protecting you, your employer is breaking the law. 
  • Options
    As we speak i’m on a 286 from Greenwich to Eltham and the driver has refused boarding to two maskless students.
    Do drivers have to wear masks or are they enclosed?
  • Options
    Gone into London today as office is at the wrong end of London bridge, and mask wearing on both train into Paddington and two tube lines has been pretty much 100%. Place is dead though - looked out over the monument and counted seven people plus two guys emptying bins, that was it.