Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting Messi

Comments

• Options
    Football peaked in the 90s.

Less trouble than the 70s and 80s, professional but not to the nth degree like now, still a fun mix of shite cloggers and great players, foreigners were exotic, going to matches was still affordable, a game on TV was still rare enough (was it one a week on a Sunday?) to be a big thing.

The money in the game going up and up since has ruined it.

I'm well aware I'm inviting a ton of responses telling me why it was better in the 60s, 70s etc.
    The 90s was a good time. Fanzine culture had taken off and football started becoming mainstream again - Fantasy Football on TV culminating in Euro 96

And while the loss of some terraces was a shame, overall the new stands and grounds transformed football as an experience
  • Options
    A move to Man City is ultimately going to be money driven. I think Liverpool are going to have to change their style a little. Teams were starting to work out how to play them. I can see Man Utd being up there.
    Is it? City are managed by possibly the best manager in the world who was key in developing Messi into the best player in the world, and they regularly challenge at the top of the Premier League. The Prem is seen as possibly the best and most competitive league in the world, and City play a style that Messi will be entirely used to seeing as Guardiola developed it while working with him. At the moment he apparently earns £64m basic, £95m on average and can get as much as £110m off a good season. The bloke could rock up at Hemel Hempstead in the National League and play for free for the next ten years and still be rolling in it. Sure, he's likely to still demand a very high salary, but I don't think you can say that moving to City would just be about money; given the style and the history he has with the manager it's the most logical move for him.
  • Options
    If the move was purely money motivated then surely he could just stay where he is and continue being the highest paid footballer in history. 

I still suspect this is some sort of political move, and my bets are still on him being at Barcelona next season. 
  • Options
    Looks like after the all the fuss and drama, he's now going to stay.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I actually reckon Barca's best bet would have been to sell him now, get £100m say, and the £60m odd saving in wages, and spend it on rebuilding the squad.
  • Options
    Exactly 

He will 100% leave for free next May/June

What do they get for keeping him for one extra season, with Suarez going and a unhappy Messi its not like the are going to win La Liga or the Champions League.

So sell him and rebuild 
  • Options
    In a move that shocks no-one, Messi confirms he will be staying at Barcelona another year.
  • Options
    Messi has confirmed he is staying

Says he is unhappy but doesn't want to get into a legal dispute so will stay this season

Reckon he will 100% go for free in May/June 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many times has Messi threatened to leave and then stayed? 
  • Options

Says he is unhappy but doesn't want to get into a legal dispute so will stay this season

Not so sure - their election is in March, once Bartomeu has gone maybe he'll stay.
  • Options
    Im shocked 
  • Options
    Quite scathing in his announcement though. Reiterated that he wants out. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Quite scathing in his announcement though. Reiterated that he wants out. 
    Does anyone think that, maybe, the amount of money someone would have to pay (€700M) had something to do with Him staying  ?
    🤪
  • Options

Not so sure - their election is in March, once Bartomeu has gone maybe he'll stay.
    Exactly how i see it too.

New president elected, brings in Xavi as manager or director of football, they start to make some decent signings like Martinez from Inter and Messi will probably end up seeing out his career there.
  • Options
    The blokes a wanker, he was never going to leave, he can't, he would do fuck all in The Prem or Germany, the only way he would score the amount of goals he currently does is if he signed for a Scottish team.  
  • Options
    The blokes a wanker, he was never going to leave, he can't, he would do fuck all in The Prem or Germany, the only way he would score the amount of goals he currently does is if he signed for a Scottish team.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    You prefer Cristiano Ronaldo then? 
  • Options
    Koeman will be gone in March.

Xavi to become manager
    Puyol to be DOF.
    Messi to see out his career there.
  • Options
    Messi was never going to leave. Threatens to leave pretty much every season. Loves the attention.
  • Options

Exactly how i see it too.

New president elected, brings in Xavi as manager or director of football, they start to make some decent signings like Martinez from Inter and Messi will probably end up seeing out his career there.
    If only Charlton fans were able to vote out ESI and vote TS in so easily...
  • Options
    Why did he agree to that massive release clause in his contract?

He must know that no one will pay it and he's with Barcelona for his career.

On Sky they said as he's staying another season he's entitled to an 18m euros loyalty payment. Nice work if you can get it. 
  • Options
    Isn’t he out of contract next summer? I can’t see him leaving though, will probably extend that by at least a year or two.
  • Options
    Think he is 10 goals short of Pele’s world record of goals scored for one team, he was never leaving.
  • Options
    Whilst it is true that Messi has threatened this sort of thing in the past, I do believe that he did want out this time but it seems as though the contract actually held up and made a difference (for once!)

Don't think he does it for attention. When you are a player on his level, it must be frustrating to not see the club/country you play for not trying to match your ambition by signing average managers all the time. 
  • Options
    I actually reckon Barca's best bet would have been to sell him now, get £100m say, and the £60m odd saving in wages, and spend it on rebuilding the squad.
    What I mean to say is "spend it on paying some debt off".  

Crazy the situation they are in, having to try and sell millions of pounds of players just to be able to register the free signings they've made.  And that's before they try to sign Messi back up.