Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting Messi

Comments

• Options
    I actually think a move to City might end in tears for all involved. It's more likely it will go very well of course, but one very notable thing about 33 year old Messi is he doesn't like to run if he doesn't have to. Barcelona brought in Arturo Vidal to basically do Messi's running for him and that didn't work out. Guardiola is a very exacting manager; if people aren't pressing his way all over the pitch he gives them no end of grief, as Sterling and Aguero have learned. Pep knows Messi well and will likely make exceptions for him because he's so good, but City will likely have to alter the way they play slightly in order to work around Messi which will be interesting. Does Pep change his whole set-up for Messi, does he try to force him to adapt his game a bit to find a middle ground? Either way it will be a good watch.
    I do hope he ends up at City. Seeing Messi in the Prem would be fantastic, and it would definitely add an extra spark to the title race given that you can see Liverpool having another really good season
    I think he'd probably have to.

I'm not saying Messi can't adapt, as he can probably play anywhere and do anything, but i just don't see a 33 year old Messi changing the way he plays that much, so you'd surely adapt your side to play around him.
    He'd probably want certain assurances before agreeing to sign anyway.

Be interesting to see what happens if they do sign him though. Firstly you then minimise the effect other players have, like De Bruyne for example. Everything goes through him now, but that won't happen if Messi is your playmaker. Secondly they'd surely have to offload some top quality players. If you have Messi as your right sided attacker then you don't need both Mahrez and Bernardo.

In any case, as incredible a player as he is, it still won't hide the fact that City's problem is with their defence.
  • Options
    Imagine if Messi went to Arsenal.

They could certainly afford him. Ozil was 350k a week?

If he went Arsenal...it would make them so much money.

The league's failures would be rising back to the top in a number of ways.

Revenue would jump...players would perform out if their skin and would once again have belief.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Revenue would jump...players would perform out if their skin and would once again have belief.
    And then have their fans on his back the moment he doesnt hit the ground running no doubt

Plus you'd never heard the end of it from them
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Messi is on double that.

Zero chance he signs for a club not in the champions league and who can't compete for a league title. If we think he has perhaps 3 years left at the top then he won't be wasting those years. Otherwise he'd stay at Barca.
  • Options
    If he signs for Man City, they could genuinely be a good shout for winning the treble next season. If they got a CB, heard they were interested in Koulibaly, and Messi then no other team stands a chance
  • Options
    Oh yeh, forgot about champions League.

Only one answer really. Has to either be Liverpool, city, United, Chelsea.

Most likely just PSG though. They probably tick most of his boxes. Even if it would be a bit dull.
  • Options
    Think it depends on Messi's mentality, PSG would suit no doubt if his main aim is to win the CL, the league is a joke and he would have plenty of breaks during the season but I think Messi might want to play in a more competitive league, he still has a couple of seasons in him playing at the very top level so could see the appeal of the Premier League, PSG might suit Ronaldo better.

Suppose it all depends if he can go on a free or not
  • Options
    I really hope Ronaldo doesn't go to PSG. Ligue 1 is beneath him.
  • Options
    I would like to see Messi in Serie A. Follows Ronaldo there, potentially brings success back to one of the Milan teams and the chance of breaking Juve's title dominance? Would do a lot to help his claim to Greatest Of All Time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having Messi in the Premier League is one of the few things that would make me interested in that league again. 
  • Options
    Imagine if we draw them in the FA Cup though. 

Would never imagine Charlton playing against Messi. 
  • Options
    Imagine if we draw them in the FA Cup though. 

Would never imagine Charlton playing against Messi. 
    As if we're going to reach the 3rd round!
    Even if we do its a guaranteed away tie @ Swansea or Preston!!
  • Options
    Imagine Danny mills trying to mark Messi out of a game 

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Dave2l said:
    Imagine Danny mills trying to mark Messi out of a game 

If Kish could take out a young Ronaldo, Messi in his 30s would be a piece of cake  :)
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Only the petro-state clubs would be able to afford him, ...

What a depressingly apt nomenclature for the modern game.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah Danny, I reckon he'll go to Leeds. Righto...hahaha!
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53911105

The Argentina international, 33, sent a fax to the club on Tuesday saying he wishes to exercise a clause in his contract, allowing him to leave for free with immediate effect.

Seriously?
    Seriously.  A fax is a legal document and is faster than a letter.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53911105

The Argentina international, 33, sent a fax to the club on Tuesday saying he wishes to exercise a clause in his contract, allowing him to leave for free with immediate effect.

Seriously?
    Seriously.  A fax is a legal document and is faster than a letter.
    Also a lot more secure in transit than email. Potential issues with security at either end, mind (might leave the document lying around in an office, might not shred it afterwards) but the above is the exact reason faxes are still in use. 
  • Options
    Yeah I've struggled to find the humour in Messi using a fax machine 

Arent they still used during the Transfer Windows?
  • Options
    Football peaked in the 90s.

Less trouble than the 70s and 80s, professional but not to the nth degree like now, still a fun mix of shite cloggers and great players, foreigners were exotic, going to matches was still affordable, a game on TV was still rare enough (was it one a week on a Sunday?) to be a big thing.

The money in the game going up and up since has ruined it.

I'm well aware I'm inviting a ton of responses telling me why it was better in the 60s, 70s etc.
  • Options
    Thinking about it, was it one on Sunday afternoon and one on Monday evening?

• Options

Less trouble than the 70s and 80s, professional but not to the nth degree like now, still a fun mix of shite cloggers and great players, foreigners were exotic, going to matches was still affordable, a game on TV was still rare enough (was it one a week on a Sunday?) to be a big thing.

I'm well aware I'm inviting a ton of responses telling me why it was better in the 60s, 70s etc.
    I thoroughly recommend the Quickly Kevin podcast. 90s based football podcast and brilliant 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    A move to Man City is ultimately going to be money driven. I think Liverpool are going to have to change their style a little. Teams were starting to work out how to play them. I can see Man Utd being up there.
  • Options

I thoroughly recommend the Quickly Kevin podcast. 90s based football podcast and brilliant 
    Yeah I'm about halfway through that, started late- very good, and a Curbs episode!