Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting Messi

Comments

• Options
    If ALL the Barca players agreed a 50% pay cut, they could keep Messi

As if players would agree to that  :D
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Isn't this just sort of all bullshit now though? Messi is 34 years old and he's worth nearly £300 million. His most recent contract was worth £470 million across the four years. I can understand him leaving because he wants to get paid what he thinks he's worth, but the waterworks and the narrative that he's been forced out of Barcelona is a bit daft. If he really, really wanted to stay couldn't he just sign a deal for say £50,000 a week, take home £2.6m for the year and sit on the massive piles of money he already has for the rest of his life?
    I think you're missing the point. They are still a long long way over the salary cap limit. Messi could've said he'll sign for £1 but they can't register him.

Also he's surely entitled to be a bit emotional, he's basically saying goodbye to a place he's spent 21 years at. Journalists, his team mates and his family were all there giving him a standing ovation.
    Your not human if you don't have an ounce of emotion in Messis situation 
  • Options
    Isn't this just sort of all bullshit now though? Messi is 34 years old and he's worth nearly £300 million. His most recent contract was worth £470 million across the four years. I can understand him leaving because he wants to get paid what he thinks he's worth, but the waterworks and the narrative that he's been forced out of Barcelona is a bit daft. If he really, really wanted to stay couldn't he just sign a deal for say £50,000 a week, take home £2.6m for the year and sit on the massive piles of money he already has for the rest of his life?
    And his own last contract is half the reason why they can't now afford to keep him.
    No. Messi always brought in more in income than he was paid so he more than paid for himself and wasn't the problem.

Their issues are because of exorbitant salaries for players like Pjanic, Griezmann, Umtiti and Coutinho who they now can't get rid of and spending almost 400m in transfer fees for Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann.
  • Options
    I read that Griezmann is on 800k p/w 
  • Options
    I read that Griezmann is on 800k p/w 
    And I doubt he’s brining in the commercial revenue Messi does. 
  • Options
    One thing that is absolutely ridiculous in all this, is that Barcelona last season lost €487m!!

In one season!! 
  • Options
    Imagine you have worked for your company for 20 odd years. Earned a good wage but brought in a lot more money for your company. 

Then they call you in and say sorry, we can’t renew your contract as we are paying Dave and Gary from accounts too much. Even if you worked for nothing we are breaking the new rules for wages in our industry.  We can’t change Dave and Gary’s wages as they are locked in and we would have to pay off their whole contract. 
  • Options
    Has Messi been working for nothing then?
  • Options
    No, but even if he offered to work for nothing they can’t re-sign him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you're missing the point. They are still a long long way over the salary cap limit. Messi could've said he'll sign for £1 but they can't register him.

Also he's surely entitled to be a bit emotional, he's basically saying goodbye to a place he's spent 21 years at. Journalists, his team mates and his family were all there giving him a standing ovation.
    I’m clearly not human then. 
    Clearly 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    No, but even if he offered to work for nothing they can’t re-sign him. 
    If he was happy to work for nothing, maybe we could sign him :)
  • Options
    For me he is the best in the World but Barca can't afford him. If he is so upset about it, he could take a wage cut.
    Sorry but I think that's a bit oversimplifying the whole situation. I don't know if it's true but I saw on a Chinese site just now that Messi already had agreed to take a 50% pay cut leaving his wage level similar to Griezmann's? Well if that's true, I think Messi did try his best. The values of Griezmann and other Barcelona players can bring to the club both on and off the pitch can't be compared to Messi's. If I were Messi, even if I love this club so much, I still would be thinking why would I accept a salary less than Griezmann's/Dembele's? Not to mention 50k per week which I think is really ridiculous (sorry again!) A lower or say unreasonable salary compared to his peers' would have a series of negative effects on his mentality, performances and status within the squad and thus create a lot of complicated problems. That's why I always think the salary structure is one of the most important things not just in a football club but all kinds of companies.

If the club asked every player to take a 50% pay cut to resolve the problem and keep Messi, I don't think they would succeed either. Griezmann and co would simply refuse.

So in my opinion there is only one way to end this issue and that is Messi leaving. The club created a salary structure that they couldn't afford in the long term so they should be the ones to blame, not Messi. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Imagine you have worked for your company for 20 odd years. Earned a good wage but brought in a lot more money for your company. 

Then they call you in and say sorry, we can’t renew your contract as we are paying Dave and Gary from accounts too much. Even if you worked for nothing we are breaking the new rules for wages in our industry.  We can’t change Dave and Gary’s wages as they are locked in and we would have to pay off their whole contract. 
    This sort of summarises what I tried to explain in my above post.
  • Options
    You can argue the situation Barca finds itself in isn't Messi's fault, but indirectly it is. A high tide raises all boats, tiu can't pay one player the sort of money Messi was earning without every other pkayervthen wanting more, especially any new signings.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    For me he is the best in the World but Barca can't afford him. If he is so upset about it, he could take a wage cut.
    Sorry but I think that's a bit oversimplifying the whole situation. I don't know if it's true but I saw on a Chinese site just now that Messi already had agreed to take a 50% pay cut leaving his wage level similar to Griezmann's? Well if that's true, I think Messi did try his best. The values of Griezmann and other Barcelona players can bring to the club both on and off the pitch can't be compared to Messi's. If I were Messi, even if I love this club so much, I still would be thinking why would I accept a salary less than Griezmann's/Dembele's? Not to mention 50k per week which I think is really ridiculous (sorry again!) A lower or say unreasonable salary compared to his peers' would have a series of negative effects on his mentality, performances and status within the squad and thus create a lot of complicated problems. That's why I always think the salary structure is one of the most important things not just in a football club but all kinds of companies.

If the club asked every player to take a 50% pay cut to resolve the problem and keep Messi, I don't think they would succeed either. Griezmann and co would simply refuse.

So in my opinion there is only one way to end this issue and that is Messi leaving. The club created a salary structure that they couldn't afford in the long term so they should be the ones to blame, not Messi. 
    Messi wasn't actually offering to take a 50% pay cut. Basically the deal was that what he'd earn in 2 years (which is how long he wanted to play for) would be spread over 4-5 years. So they'd be paying him the same money eventually.

But that aside, he's still worth every euro (and a lot more) that they were paying him. The other players are not. However it's not those players faults they were offered those contracts. Griezmann was apparently booed by fans as he went to training yesterday because fans are partly blaming him. Don't blame him, blame the president at the time who offered him the contract.
  • Options
    Jessie said:

Messi wasn't actually offering to take a 50% pay cut. Basically the deal was that what he'd earn in 2 years (which is how long he wanted to play for) would be spread over 4-5 years. So they'd be paying him the same money eventually.

But that aside, he's still worth every euro (and a lot more) that they were paying him. The other players are not. However it's not those players faults they were offered those contracts. Griezmann was apparently booed by fans as he went to training yesterday because fans are partly blaming him. Don't blame him, blame the president at the time who offered him the contract.
    And presidents offer the salaries to get the votes of the fans.
  • Options

Yes my heart bleeds for the multi-millionaire Ballon D’or winning professional footballer with a wife as fit as that. ValleyGary is thinking of you in these ‘tough times’ Leo….
    So cause someone is a multi millionaire and has a wife as fit as that, he isn't aloud to show any emotion to his situation? 

State of it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What situation? 

The bloke that threatened to leave the club a few months back unless his demands were met - is now leaving the club…..just not on his terms?

The situation is not Messi’s fault - but him and his advisors have been leveraging his power at the club for years. 

The club and the league have let this situation happen - but I really can’t feel sorry for Messi here. 

That was to remove Josep Maria Bartomeu from Barcelona which worked. 

I never said you have to feel sorry for him. I said you can see why he is emotional after spending all that time there and creating a family in Barcelona. 

For him to leave the way he did is definitely Barcelona and la Ligas fault.
  • Options
    Yes I feel for Messi, but a year ago didn't he want to leave anyway?
  • Options
    Yes I feel for Messi, but a year ago didn't he want to leave anyway?
    That was to remove Josep Maria Bartomeu from Barcelona
  • Options
    If it wasn't about the money for Messi, why is he joining the most boring club in European Football? 

For the ££££.
  • Options
    If it wasn't about the money for Messi, why is he joining the most boring club in European Football? 

For the ££££.
    Messi offered to slash his wages by 50%.

I do agree joining PSG is a bad bad move.

Also I don't think there's any other club that's going to offer him a contract other than PSG
  • Options

For the ££££.

Also I don't think there's any other club that's going to offer him a contract other than PSG
    To only 500,000+ a week. What a hero. 
  • Options

For the ££££.
    If we assume he has 2-3 more years left at the top level then why not go to a club where he's going to win trophies and challenge for the champions league? PSG are basically building a super team, they were one of the best teams in Europe the last 2 seasons and have now signed Donnarumma, Hakimi, Sergio Ramos, Wijnaldum and Messi. It's now or never for them in terms of winning the CL. 

Then there's the fact that PSG have an Argentinian manager, a couple of his international team mates and of course Neymar who he's good friends with.
  • Options

For the ££££.

To only 500,000+ a week. What a hero. 
    Exactly.