Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Liverpool's home form is crazy.

That's 47 wins and 4 draws from their last 51 games.
    32 wins and a draw from 33.
  • Ross said:
    Really enjoying Amazon’s coverage. Good commentators and co-commentators, good pundits, and what seems like a sharper image too. Just a shame you have to watch it via streaming as opposed to on Sky/BT.
    If you have Sky Q you can now access Amazon Prime via your Sky Q box
  • Jose got that totally wrong for me. Should of taken the game more to Liverpool. I understand that front 3 will tear you apart if you are too open but Liverpool’s defence was a makeshift one and they were playing an extremely high line. Kane’s service was poor in the first half and the only time Son got a pass in behind he scored.
    Not Jose's way though.

I remember him in a United v Liverpool game when United had stormed out of the blocks at the start of the season whereas Liverpool had been a bit of a mess in the first few games, and he still parked the bus and hoped to snatch a 1-0.
  • edited December 2020
    Liverpool just seem senior 1 CB short, which is their fault last summer, as it's not a position where you want to rely on kids, and Fabinho shouldn't be 4th choice CB. For comparison, Pratley is our 5th choice CB.

3 main CBs in their squad (VVD, Gomez, Matip) isn't enough as they didn't replace Lovren
    But how do you replace Lovren, who is the best CB in the world, according to Lovren
  • The way the press go on you'd think Liverpool were decimated by injuries. Of their regulars over the past couple of years it's only Van Dijk and Gomez who are missing. 

If a club of their size can't cope with 2 regulars missing then they've got a problem.
    This, i think the media have taken the bait too aswell, i thought that watching last night the so called 'injury hit' squad, they had 9 of their first 11 playing, two youngsters Jones and Williams, although normally Fabinho would be moved into the middle. But injuries you have to laugh, i really dislike Klopp.

Great game last night, but a shame Spurs didn't go for it from the outset. I think they are the one team on paper who can deal with Liverpool and attack just as good, Defence more solid currently so would have been a better plan for me. In hindsight they could have knicked it, Liverpool just seem to get that result/decision / moment, Shame Bergwijn wasn't Son as they would have no doubt been ahead which could have won the game. 

This is coming from a background i dislike Spurs (dad arsenal), but i would rather them win the league than the bin dippers again. 
  • You've also had Klopp complain about the fixture schedule and inability to make five substitutions

Well that option would have been great last night wouldnt it - Oh yeah; Klopp didnt make a single sub so cant be that bad for him
    Also read something that over the christmas/new year schedule Liverpool have (joint with Fulham) the longest average rest time between games.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    I'll always struggle to feel sorry for any Premier League team when you compare their season to that of a team in the Football League

Especially when you consider a lot of Championship teams (fitter) will have the same sort of schedule as a League Two team (not going to be at those levels)

- Fuirther eight League games already
     - Two / Three Play-Off games for four of those teams
     - Minimum of Three games, Maximum of Eight games in the EFL Trophy
     - Three games in the FA Cup for a lot of teams, possibly more
     - Two games in the League Cup for a lot of the teams, again possibly more

But its the Premier League with the players at the peak of fitness who are the poor darlings that need a winter break more than anyone else here

Especially as you'll get the majority who wont be in Europe and wont go far in the cups so will play less games in a season that any EFL League season
  • The way the press go on you'd think Liverpool were decimated by injuries. Of their regulars over the past couple of years it's only Van Dijk and Gomez who are missing. 

If a club of their size can't cope with 2 regulars missing then they've got a problem.
    This, i think the media have taken the bait too aswell, i thought that watching last night the so called 'injury hit' squad, they had 9 of their first 11 playing, two youngsters Jones and Williams, although normally Fabinho would be moved into the middle. But injuries you have to laugh, i really dislike Klopp.

Great game last night, but a shame Spurs didn't go for it from the outset. I think they are the one team on paper who can deal with Liverpool and attack just as good, Defence more solid currently so would have been a better plan for me. In hindsight they could have knicked it, Liverpool just seem to get that result/decision / moment, Shame Bergwijn wasn't Son as they would have no doubt been ahead which could have won the game. 

This is coming from a background i dislike Spurs (dad arsenal), but i would rather them win the league than the bin dippers again. 
    To be fair, teams don't rely on the same 11 every match, and of those missing, as well as the 3 CBs, Jota, Milner and Thiago would all have been regulars, so that's a fair chunk of their regular 18

But I agree that it's been overplayed. They still had Origi, Ox, Keita and Minamino on the bench last night
  • edited December 2020
    I'll always struggle to feel sorry for any Premier League team when you compare their season to that of a team in the Football League

Especially when you consider a lot of Championship teams (fitter) will have the same sort of schedule as a League Two team (not going to be at those levels)

- Fuirther eight League games already
     - Two / Three Play-Off games for four of those teams
     - Minimum of Three games, Maximum of Eight games in the EFL Trophy
     - Three games in the FA Cup for a lot of teams, possibly more
     - Two games in the League Cup for a lot of the teams, again possibly more

But its the Premier League with the players at the peak of fitness who are the poor darlings that need a winter break more than anyone else here

Especially as you'll get the majority who wont be in Europe and wont go far in the cups so will play less games in a season that any EFL League season
    But it's only really the big clubs who have European campaigns who moan isn't it?

Can honestly say i never see the likes of Ancelotti or Hodgson or Hasenhuttl moaning.

But if you consider an English side getting to the CL final has to play 13 games and if Spurs get to the Europa final they'd have played 18 games, i can see why they moan. Spurs could play 38 league games and then potentially have another 29 cup games depending on how far they go in the 3 cups.

On top of that, those same clubs will also have squads made up predominantly of international players so those players will have another 8-9 games on top. And all this is condensed into a 2 month shorter season.

Obviously the flip side of that is those club sides have more money and better players to cope with these schedules.
  • Jose got that totally wrong for me. Should of taken the game more to Liverpool. I understand that front 3 will tear you apart if you are too open but Liverpool’s defence was a makeshift one and they were playing an extremely high line. Kane’s service was poor in the first half and the only time Son got a pass in behind he scored.
    Bang on the money VG.  Called it as soon as I saw Davies over Reggie at LB.

Me and my two mates were discussing it at length in our whatsapp group last night.  Why on earth start 4-4-1-1 when we've played a hybrid  4-3-3 to relative success so far this season?

Teams have coped with our front 3, havent been able to deal with Ndombele and PEH and Sissoko have pretty much steamrollered every midfield they've come across.  All the width comes from Reggie and Aurier bombing on.

Why not play to our strengths?  Why not take the game to them?  To dare is to do and all that FFS.  No, lets sit back, soak it up and just waste 45 mins.

1st half with 4-4-1-1, absolutely no width, Kane couldnt find any space.  Davies and Aurier were overloaded.  For as good as Lo Celso
    is with the ball, I cant see him in a two at centre mid.  Great pass for the goal though.

Much better 2nd half when he put Sissoko back in alongside PEH.  Had enough chances to win the game in the first 20 mins of the second half (Bergwyn twice and Kane's header) then we started to sit back again.

Certainly thought on the 2nd half showing we warranted a point.  For as good as Liverpool were, they only got behind us twice in 90 mins.  Absolutely sickening to conceded to a set piece in injury time.

Thats 7pts lost in injury time allone now this season.

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Jose got that totally wrong for me. Should of taken the game more to Liverpool. I understand that front 3 will tear you apart if you are too open but Liverpool’s defence was a makeshift one and they were playing an extremely high line. Kane’s service was poor in the first half and the only time Son got a pass in behind he scored.
    Bang on the money VG.  Called it as soon as I saw Davies over Reggie at LB.

Me and my two mates were discussing it at length in our whatsapp group last night.  Why on earth start 4-4-1-1 when we've played a hybrid  4-3-3 to relative success so far this season?

Teams have coped with our front 3, havent been able to deal with Ndombele and PEH and Sissoko have pretty much steamrollered every midfield they've come across.  All the width comes from Reggie and Aurier bombing on.

Why not play to our strengths?  Why not take the game to them?  To dare is to do and all that FFS.  No, lets sit back, soak it up and just waste 45 mins.

1st half with 4-4-1-1, absolutely no width, Kane couldnt find any space.  Davies and Aurier were overloaded.  For as good as Lo Celso
    is with the ball, I cant see him in a two at centre mid.  Great pass for the goal though.

Much better 2nd half when he put Sissoko back in alongside PEH.  Had enough chances to win the game in the first 20 mins of the second half (Bergwyn twice and Kane's header) then we started to sit back again.

Certainly thought on the 2nd half showing we warranted a point.  For as good as Liverpool were, they only got behind us twice in 90 mins.  Absolutely sickening to conceded to a set piece in injury time.

Thats 7pts lost in injury time allone now this season.

As soon as Bergwyn missed those back-to-back chances I felt Liverpool would get the second they needed. He really should have put one of those in the net (or the Kane header as you mention).
  • I think Bergwyn is poor. He runs around a lot but ultimately lacks quality and from what I’ve seen, a football brain. Spurs players, outside of Kane and Son, not scoring goals, will ultimately cost them.
  • If United win their game in hand they go 2nd. A very strange season.
  • I think Bergwyn is poor. He runs around a lot but ultimately lacks quality and from what I’ve seen, a football brain. Spurs players, outside of Kane and Son, not scoring goals, will ultimately cost them.
    That's down to Jose picking workhorses rather than more attacking players

If the likes of Moura and Dele played more often, Spurs would score more goals but concede more also
  • edited December 2020
    Quality finish from Rashford for his first tonight. Second weren't bad either. Wilder can't have much longer there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    Didn't realise that Burnley have only scored 6 goals all season. 

Son, Salah and Calvert-Lewin have 11 each.

Burnley still aren't in the relegation zone.
    Bizarre contrast in their home and away form.

Just 1 win and 3 goals (2 were penalties) from 6 games at Old Trafford. 6 wins out of 6 away and scored 19.
    Bizarre contrast in their home and away form.

Just 1 win and 3 goals (2 were penalties) from 6 games at Old Trafford. 6 wins out of 6 away and scored 19.
    Strange one that. Believe its the first time a team has won 6 away games in a row when they have gone behind in each game.

Whilst having better home form is more common Liverpool this year is still a bit of a surprise. 7 out of 7 at Anfield but just 1 win in 6 away.
  • United fall behind again and win, becoming a bit of a theme. Luckily it wont last, soon conceding that first goal will bite them in the ars! Quite crazy as they have struggled but seem to have spells where they get a goal and then another one to take games. borrowed time i would guess... or am i just hopeful. 

Probably sneak into 4th end of the season. hoping they go on a real bad run as ever. 
  • United were my first team until my Dad took me to Charlton aged 7. In the 60s I had previously never heard of Charlton in spite of living only 7 miles away.

Anyway the reality is they are miles behind Liverpool in general play. They wasted the last transfer window and don't plan to buy in January. I just don't get what's going on there. They wanted Poch, but settled for an interim. Now Poch is available, if that was the strategy why not go get him.

Removing De Gea was a start and hopefully they can shift him and Pogba out as well as the deadwood that remains. I am in a minority but I always liked Smalling and think him and Maguire may have solved the central defensive problems they have. 
  • Pogba has been absolute garbage this year (even taking Covid into account). Gets close to the transfer window and hey presto! He starts turning up for games. Coincidence..?
  • 9 players on the bench allowed now. Interesting that Klopp has picked 2 keepers
  • Today is one of those rare occasions where I want Liverpool to win.
    Come on Liverpool.
  • Come on you dirty stripey nigel bastards.
    Ahem cough.