Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Options
    Have to feel for the supporters,as always,like us,they are the innocent party in all this,and are powerless to watch their club implode chasing impossible dreams.They must have players earning totally unrealistic wages,those players and the people who agreed those wages must have known the situation,so no sympathy there.I hope they stay in business,but a drop to div.2 might just be the wake up call lower football needs,I cannot help but feel this is the tip of the iceberg.Even at top level,how can mediocre players,like De Gea,Aubamyang,warrant wages of £300k a week plus,someone has to have the balls to say no.
    Equating De Gea's salary to the problems at Wednesday is part of the problem.

One club can afford it, one clearly can't.  Comparing the salaries of top players at top clubs to championship, league 1 or even lower level Premier League players is a wrong comparison. It's like an extra in a channel 5 drama negotiating based on what the Rock earns. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    OwlsTalk is making some interesting reading.

Massive bill on the new lease for the stadium due in September and Chansiri told all the players if they got relegated, then their salaries would be halved and if they don't like it they can leave.

Read something on Owlstalk that said if they don't pay 7m in September then whoever they owe the money to can kick them out of Hillsborough.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Addickted said:

Massive bill on the new lease for the stadium due in September and Chansiri told all the players if they got relegated, then their salaries would be halved and if they don't like it they can leave.

Read something on Owlstalk that said if they don't pay 7m in September then whoever they owe the money to can kick them out of Hillsborough.
    Very dramatic, but what is the owner going to do with an empty stand in an area with little value.
    It was the selling of the ground for such a huge amount that raised so many eyebrows.
    I also think he effectively sold the ground to himself.
    Just read that the Club sold the ground to Chansiri for £60m, making a profit of £38m.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Didn't the owner sell Hillsborough to himself? It is hard to keep up!
  • Options
    I would hate to see Sheffield Wednesday go out of business as a result of all this crap.

It would deny me the pleasure of seeing their ten-year struggle in the Third Division ...

... of the Sheffield & Hallamshire League.
  • Options
    Classic football fan lack of self awareness. There would be all sorts of moral and logical gymnastics being performed on here if it was us. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Classic football fan lack of self awareness. There would be all sorts of moral and logical gymnastics being performed on here if it was us. 
    But it’s not, so all’s well in the world.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    What amazes me is that 1.4% of Wednesday fans still back the owner. This seems to be that case in so many things in modern life. Were do these people come from when they can take delusion to these sort of levels?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    It was us, not all that long ago. We responded by doing what we could to make life difficult for the owners who were risking the future of the club. If Wednesday fans do something similar, I'm sure they will get the same sort of solidarity from other clubs that we did, and Blackpool did. 

I remember that feeling of horror as I came to realise that we might actually go bust. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, still less what ended up happening to Bury. But fans do need to work out for themselves that the owners aren't necessarily acting in the club's best interests.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    It was us, not all that long ago. We responded by doing what we could to make life difficult for the owners who were risking the future of the club. If Wednesday fans do something similar, I'm sure they will get the same sort of solidarity from other clubs that we did, and Blackpool did. 

I remember that feeling of horror as I came to realise that we might actually go bust. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, still less what ended up happening to Bury. But fans do need to work out for themselves that the owners aren't necessarily acting in the club's best interests.
    That’s not what I’m talking about. My comment relates to posters on Owlstalk who were happy to go along with cheats and criminals and turn a blind eye if they thought it would bring success. 
    Oh no, actually you might be right. 
  • Options
    I always remember when we were relegated from the Premier league in 1999 in the last game of the season against the massives how their supporters cheered and went wild as the other results came in and it was clear we were going down.

Why act like that?  

I've disliked them intensely ever since that day and welcome seeing them struggle (although don't want them to go out of business).
    I hear this it a lot, so it must have happened, but from my seat in the JS Stand I didn’t see or hear any of that and at the final whistle a large group came over to applaud us. I was the last seat in the row before the away fans. 
  • Options
    Their fans have have always had over inflated opinions of themselves and their club.
    Not so massive now 
  • Options
    I would never wish complete catastrophe on any club (except perhaps one from Croydon), but I can’t help feeling Sheffield Wednsday deserve a bit of their current troubles. They tried to cheat their way through financial games to get an unfair advantage on their rivals and received a late and derisory punishment, directly affecting us. I hope they lose all of their good players and we manage to bag a few for free and I hope they fail next season and have a spell in league two. I know I might sound like a vindictive old bastard, and probably am, but I’m comfortable with that.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday are in deep shit.

Their players haven’t been paid for two months, and if they are not paid within the next 14 days the players can terminate their contracts and walk away.

Also it is believed that they are under a transfer embargo.

So if the players do leave they would struggle to even field a team at the start of the season.

The fans are owed money from last years season tickets, and basically Wednesday are skint.  They haven’t got a pot to piss in.

The cheating bastards are getting their just desserts.
    And if the players walk, that'll be just desert(ion)s, too.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I always remember when we were relegated from the Premier league in 1999 in the last game of the season against the massives how their supporters cheered and went wild as the other results came in and it was clear we were going down.

Why act like that?  

I've disliked them intensely ever since that day and welcome seeing them struggle (although don't want them to go out of business).
    I know it's Palace so it's very different, but the irony of your forum name and that comment is brilliant. 
    LOL! Fair comment!

All I can say in my defence is it is a bit different relegating your local rivals only a few years after they would quite happily have put us out of business than relegating some random team that you have had few runs in with in previous years. (Unless they were still smarting from an FA Cup tie back in the 70s!)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Why act like that?  

I hear this it a lot, so it must have happened, but from my seat in the JS Stand I didn’t see or hear any of that and at the final whistle a large group came over to applaud us. I was the last seat in the row before the away fans. 
    All I can say is I remember it as clearly as anything all these years later. Maybe it wasn't at the final whistle - it may well have been when the Southampton score started coming in during the second half.
  • Options
    2 pages of comments based on wild speculation from a "source". Nothing confirmed anywhere as far as I can see. I expect this will be a storm in a tea cup, wages will be paid & they will get out of trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 pages of comments based on wild speculation from a "source". Nothing confirmed anywhere as far as I can see. I expect this will be a storm in a tea cup, wages will be paid & they will get out of trouble.
    Depends on your definition of "out of trouble" as they MIGHT pay the wages and keep hold of some of the players but they can't afford to run at those levels in League One and the owner is either incompetent, broke or both. 

They are still very much in trouble regardless of how this particular situation resolves.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Have to feel for the supporters,as always,like us,they are the innocent party in all this,and are powerless to watch their club implode chasing impossible dreams.They must have players earning totally unrealistic wages,those players and the people who agreed those wages must have known the situation,so no sympathy there.I hope they stay in business,but a drop to div.2 might just be the wake up call lower football needs,I cannot help but feel this is the tip of the iceberg.Even at top level,how can mediocre players,like De Gea,Aubamyang,warrant wages of £300k a week plus,someone has to have the balls to say no.
    Equating De Gea's salary to the problems at Wednesday is part of the problem.

One club can afford it, one clearly can't.  Comparing the salaries of top players at top clubs to championship, league 1 or even lower level Premier League players is a wrong comparison. It's like an extra in a channel 5 drama negotiating based on what the Rock earns. 
    It wasnt meant to be a comparison as such,my point is that clubs just will not stand up to players and agents and nearly always give in.Are Arsenal and Man utd. getting value for money,most certainly not.The problem then descends to the lower leagues,Rooney 80k a week,10m transfer fee for Beilic at Derby.Fletcher was on a reported 20k a week at Wednesday,I bet a lot of the others are not far off,Taylor at Forest,Reported 20k  week,for what,and so the situation goes on.I wonder how many players being sought after by us will think that we now have a few bob and try it on.Somehow clubs at all levels have to start saying,that is what we can afford,take it or leave it.(I shudder to think what Harry Kane will be after)
  • Options
    If we are trying to progress the argument that some of their fans are ****s then no doubt they are. The same applies to us though and every other club.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Addickted said:

Weds could always groundshare at Sheffield Utd.

The ultimate humiliation for them. 

I nearly suggested that myself, then the haunted memories of driving over to Croydon every other Saturday engulfed me.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Addickted said:

Weds could always groundshare at Sheffield Utd.

The ultimate humiliation for them. 

I nearly suggested that myself, then the haunted memories of driving over to Croydon every other Saturday engulfed me.
    Fuck ‘em ... we had to go through it.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:

Very dramatic, but what is the owner going to do with an empty stand in an area with little value.
    It was the selling of the ground for such a huge amount that raised so many eyebrows.
    I also think he effectively sold the ground to himself.
    Just read that the Club sold the ground to Chansiri for £60m, making a profit of £38m.
    From what i've read he took a loan out to pay for the ground and a 7m payment is due in September. So if it doesn't get paid the fear is that the investment fund/whoever lent him the money can then claim the ground. All very dramatic as you say, but if Chansiri can't pay their wages how's he getting 7m to pay for the ground repayment?

There's even a thread on their forum about where they will play if they're kicked out of Hillsborough. I'm sure it won't come to that but it does show you how bad things have got there.