Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    So 11 Championship goals now for our non-League striker.

Since Taylor f*cked off, it's all been on Bonne's shoulders. We need to cut him some slack.

Just like we have dropped 8 points in added time, it's only fair to look at the net position (late goals at Wigan and QPR) which makes it 6.

Same for Bonne........he has earned us a couple of points with his goals - but the net position after taking off his fluffs is about -12 goals and however many points (not checked).

He needs to be cut something, but not some slack.
    "Out of the picture" would be my choice.

Teams were quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Lyle, and the same doesn't happen for Chucks/Bonne/Hemed/Davidson - who sound more like a firm of solicitors on the team sheet.
    Sorry, but that's ridiculous, for someone who has 11 goals this season. 

Bamford this season has 16 goals, but that has come from 125 shots, 56 of which were on target
    I respect your opinion but ask you in all honesty if you want to start a new Championship season with him leading the line.  If we are in L1 - then maybe, because there are more chances created for him to fluff and the law of averages will get him goals. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Thought we were the better team. When we were losing, a point suddenly looked a hopeful result in terms of the possibilities. We are not down yet. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

Not necessarily, a point would be enough if we lost at Leeds. 
    I don't care if Hull finish above us.
    If Hull win, Luton are down. If Barnsley do not win tomorrow they are down. That would only leave Wigan who could overtake us - and they would need to beat Fulham last game - a draw wouldn't be enough. My thinking is that it is far more likely for Wigan not to win at Fulham than us taking a point at Leeds. Just percentages!!
    Until the Wigan deduction is 100% confirmed I'm not relying on it. 
    Although the Wigan manager seems to think so:

"When asked whether Latics would have been safe had they held on for three points, Cook didn't think twice.

"Yep, I genuinely did," he replied. "Now, we're going to have to win our last game against Fulham, and even then it might not be enough."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-were-four-minutes-safety-admits-paul-cook-2917630

• Options
    Sadly Luton score in the 85th 
    our task has become ever more a nightmare 👎
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Our task hasnt changed

Equal the results of all three teams below us and we stay up, equal the results of two teams and we stay up

If we lose and Luton get a better result then we stay up

If we lose and Luton draw and Wigan win, then we go down
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    It does mean Hull can’t catch us though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1968CAFC said:

No it hasn't - Hull are down and almost certainly Barnsley are down as well (they will be tomorrow).
    If we fail to get anything at Leeds  Luton will still need something from Blackburn AND Wigan will have to beat Fulham (and Fulham go into that game still with a chance of an outright).
  • Options
    Mixed feelings. If Barnsly fail to beat Forest tw and Wigan draw with Fulham then we are safe.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Mixed feelings. If Barnsly fail to beat Forest tw and Wigan draw with Fulham then we are safe.
    And Luton lose to Blackburn...
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Our task hasnt changed

Equal the results of all three teams below us and we stay up, equal the results of two teams and we stay up

How does that make sense ?
       If we lose at Leeds and Luton get a better result 
      We stay up....how will they, they would have more points?
      We are only better than them now on goal difference.........please explain what you mean ?
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Our task hasnt changed

How does that make sense ?
       If we lose at Leeds and Luton get a better result 
      We stay up....how will they, they would have more points?
      We are only better than them now on goal difference.........please explain what you mean ?
    We're 20th on 48-pts
    Luton are 21st on 48-pts
    Wigan are 22nd on 46-pts
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    I’m not having this Bonne hero worship stuff. He was rank awful for 95% of the game. Granted he kept trying but he scored with a shot that wasn’t much harder than a back pass. Fair play to the lad and I’m glad he did but that doesn’t make him Jamie fucking Vardy. If Bowyer thinks he was brilliant today then I know even less about football than I think I do. I clearly need to take a holiday from here for a bit. 
    It certainly doesn't: Vardy only scored 4 goals in his debut season in the Championship after moving from non-league. ;)

Well said Gillis,
    One of Vardy's first games for Leicester was at the valley and we beat them from memory 2-1 with Yann scoring twice.
    Vardy missed 3 chances yet I thought he was a good prospect as he was so fast.
    Jamie would have been 24 years old.

Personally think Bowyer slagged him off too much before and praised him OTT today But he took that added time goal with aplomb and at 200k looks a fucking bargain to me. Losing Taylor as his mentor for most of this season has cost us big time as I feel Macaulay would be on 20 goals, playing alongside Taylor for a whole season. 20 goals scored and 20 missed probably.
    That how it works with decent strikers.

It was a Naki Wells miss at QPR after the shocking pass back set him up with even more time that Bonne had today which always look shocking. 

I have spent  time on here and at games defending him. I said after a league cup game I thought both him and Field would do well for us if they got Minutes.

Sam Field like Williams finds it hard to play more than 45 minutes, which is a shame as he is needed with Pratley out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to win on Wednesday. No guarantee Blackburn and Cardiff win or that the EFL doesn't reduce Wigan's points deduction.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

Not necessarily, a point would be enough if we lost at Leeds. 
    I don't care if Hull finish above us.
    If Hull win, Luton are down. If Barnsley do not win tomorrow they are down. That would only leave Wigan who could overtake us - and they would need to beat Fulham last game - a draw wouldn't be enough. My thinking is that it is far more likely for Wigan not to win at Fulham than us taking a point at Leeds. Just percentages!!
    Until the Wigan deduction is 100% confirmed I'm not relying on it. 
    Although the Wigan manager seems to think so:

"When asked whether Latics would have been safe had they held on for three points, Cook didn't think twice.

"Yep, I genuinely did," he replied. "Now, we're going to have to win our last game against Fulham, and even then it might not be enough."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-were-four-minutes-safety-admits-paul-cook-2917630

• Options
    Some Wigan reaction if anyone is interested 
    https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/charlton.106509/page-3
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    After tomorrow Barnsley won't be able to catch us. As of Today Hull can't. So we have two teams below us who can. Wigan have to win and Luton have to draw if we lose. There is also the issue of Sheffield Wednesday. The hearing has ended so what are the EFL waiting for there? Maybe there is an issue in relation to Wednesday possibly staying up because of Wigan's deduction! I don't know why we have had no announcement, but if Wednesday were not found guilty, surely that will have been announced by now. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Some Wigan reaction if anyone is interested 
    https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/charlton.106509/page-3
    Some positive comments there 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    For comparison against Bonne’s 11/10 ratio goals to big misses.

Ollie Watkins: 25 goals, 16 “big chances” missed

Mitrovic: 24 goals, 12 “big chances” missed

Grabban: 20 goals, 17 “big chances” missed

Wells: 18 goals, 11 “big chances” missed

Grant: 18 goals, 14 “big chances” missed
    How many penalties in the numbers above? How much better service do those stikers get? Bonne has scored 11 no penalties in a team that creates few chances.
    And gets awarded even fewer penalties.