Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    What a rollercoaster!  We fight on - still with a decent chance of survival.

Attempted suicide after eight minutes: a near-death experience.  How many bloody times have we watched us piss about in our own box, asking to be punished?  We almost did it again, 20 minutes later.

Lethal and lucky strike from Doughty; superb cross from Matthews. Bonne fluffed another one-on-one with the keeper, yet we were on top for a stretch in the first half.

Ragged and desperate in the second half.  You can see that Wigan are better players: they control the ball with a single touch - we take three.  Chuks livened us up, using muscle and power.

Poor Davison is leagues out of his depth.  Morgan's game was littered with errors; Cullen was ineffective, yet again.  Williams poked and prodded.

Now, at last, it was our turn to hit the net in added time!  We are still alive!          
  • Options
    What are people's thoughts on the subs today? - Of course we rescued a point so imagine that people will be happy with Bowyer's decisions today

Certainly nice that Bowyer didnt feel the overall need to use a 5th sub just for the sake of it

Seeing we were poor for about 20mins towards the end though you could look past the surface and wonder if they were the right calls?
    Two forced subs at HT, that’s fair enough. 

No bulk subbing and McGeady for Pearce was an attacking move as we needed more going forward. 

Can’t argue with Bowyers decision making today, but credit has to go to the players on the pitch. Dug deep and a brilliant finish from Bonne.
    As mentioned by Greg and Terry - You do have to wonder why we stuck with three Centre-Backs for so long though
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

Not necessarily, a point would be enough if we lost at Leeds. 
    I don't care if Hull finish above us.
    If Hull win, Luton are down. If Barnsley do not win tomorrow they are down. That would only leave Wigan who could overtake us - and they would need to beat Fulham last game - a draw wouldn't be enough. My thinking is that it is far more likely for Wigan not to win at Fulham than us taking a point at Leeds. Just percentages!!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Davison causes defenders more problems than Hemed, he did it against West Brom and he's done it again today. He'll probably be one of those strikers that doesn't get many goals but I like the lad. 
    Agreed really did give them problems and opened it up for us. Him and bonne will come on next season. 
    Aneke also good but so frustrating the fouls he gives, just needs to take it out of his game 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

If Hull win, Luton are down. If Barnsley do not win tomorrow they are down. That would only leave Wigan who could overtake us - and they would need to beat Fulham last game - a draw wouldn't be enough. My thinking is that it is far more likely for Wigan not to win at Fulham than us taking a point at Leeds. Just percentages!!
    Absolutely 
  • Options
    Baeur just scored for Preston, I'm taking that as a good omen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Very dangerous!

Until the Wigan deduction is 100% confirmed I'm not relying on it. 

Agreed - the calculation then is Hull would need something at Cardiff if we don't get a point at Leeds.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Very dangerous!

Go Pussycats!!
    .............I'm having that Roller back next April Bob
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Did the players do a lap of honor for Sue Parkes seeing it was the last home game of the season?
  • Options
    Yup fair assessment ... and honest. 

He has certainly accepted that 12 points will be deducted 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Davison causes defenders more problems than Hemed, he did it against West Brom and he's done it again today. He'll probably be one of those strikers that doesn't get many goals but I like the lad. 
    Indeed it's no coincidence that we looked less dangerous when he went off. He was giving the defenders all sorts of problems, indeed Wigan even changed their shape because of how we were playing
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Very dangerous!

Yeah I get that. I was just pointing out you were wrong when you said Hull would have to beat Cardiff to go above us. 

What I don’t like about it is the uncertainly for us. We could go to Leeds and go down with a draw in your scenario. If Luton and Hull draw today, that’s not the case. 

I’d personally just prefer to go to Leeds knowing a draw is enough, rather then relying on both Hull and Wigan dropping points. 

If Hull win today, you also run the risk of them finishing above us by getting a point Wednesday. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I’m not having this Bonne hero worship stuff. He was rank awful for 95% of the game. Granted he kept trying but he scored with a shot that wasn’t much harder than a back pass. Fair play to the lad and I’m glad he did but that doesn’t make him Jamie fucking Vardy. If Bowyer thinks he was brilliant today then I know even less about football than I think I do. I clearly need to take a holiday from here for a bit. 
    By name and by nature 
    Oh gee. That’s the first time I’ve heard that one............,😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way was that a penalty for Sheff Weds/ Pisses me of that ref wasn't near the penalty box but gave it from a distance away. Keeper clearly blocks it/ 
  • Options
    Just prolonging the agony. Slide back to League One with a whimper on Wednesday, unless luck/chance taking does a 180 degree turn between now and then.   
  • Options
    Posting at half time on the 3pm kick-offs.......

Well happy with a point in the end. Came back from behind twice in the game & Paul Cook not happy about something at the end so we must have done something right.

During the game I said I dont like slating strikers for missing chances but Bonne should have done better....  but made up for it on 93 mins. He is at least getting in those positions & all strikers miss at time. Only one striker needs hammering on here & he fucked off a month ago. 

Think a point at Leeds will be enough. Fulham are winning & could even get 2nd spot so they wont be taking it easy against Wigan on Wednesday. Also Swansea & Cardiff are winning so will be fighting it out for 6th spot so Hull have it all to do,. With the Hull-Luton game still at 0-0 I don't really know what I want in that one  so as LB says......it is what it is.

And I don't care what Jeff Stelling  keeps saying.......Wigan HAVE been deducted 12 points & are below us. 
    And that s why the Wigan coach lost it at end of the game his assistant showed him his deductions with the 12 point penalty and he realized he will be below us with a near impossible last win game to come.
  • Options
    It felt like a win at the end. We will win at Leeds..............because that's what we do.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Surprised Bowyer hasnt said more about Davison's selection today, seems he's just done well enough in training to be picked

Done so well that he hasn’t even come on recently but then starts. 

Bows has got tired of Hemed and doesn’t trust Aneke, I don’t believe one second Davison was picked on merit, he was picked because everybody else is shit.

Either way, he’s a young player who gave it his all which is all you can ask for 

You said: "He was picked because everybody else is shit."

That's rubbish. It's obvious that Bowyer picked Davison today for his workrate, energy and sharpness ..... and to work their central defenders to create space for Bonne.

Aneke isn't the same type of player as Davison, different abilities and plays on the floor - and anyway, Bowyer has said he prefers him as impact sub, which we saw again today.

Bowyer has also said that minutes for the ageing Hemed need to be managed, but has qualities in holding the ball up and bringing other players into play. 

Each of these players has different attributes and used according to the game plan. 
    There's been 2 games a week for a month now and you know how Bowyer rotates players.
    I disagree that it's obvious. Hemed hasn't scored for us, Green isn't fit and has been poor since lockdown. Aneke hot and cold but mainly chilly. 

I might have been slightly harsh but Davison isn't quite up to scratch yet. He's being picked because of a lack of viable options, not because he's good enough. 

If you want to believe every word Bows says, then fine. That doesn't affect me and I couldn't care less. I just don.t. That being said, I'm not critcising Davison because he's a young striker who has always given his all when I've seen him. 
  • Options
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to Bonne. I’ve given him so much stick since the restart but he went and got another goal when it mattered. Fair play to him.
    He's young & not the finished article by any means. He was brought in to be s bit part player at best for this season, circumstances & his great start dictated otherwise. The main point is even though he's missing plenty he is finding the space to be in a position to miss. Hopefully next season he will start putting more Of those chances away