Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Field was having a good game breaking up play winning headers. Williams for JFC would have been enough at HT. we looked lost after those subs
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    If one team wins, one team can't overtake us and one is in a good position to

If Luton and Hull draw theoretically both could go ahead of us if they both win on Wednesday. Hull away to Cardiff seems unlikely, Luton at home to Blackburn seems more possible

Hull off to a good start against Luton. Interesting!
    I want Hull to win - much less likely than Luton to win their last game.

Think I'd prefer a draw, so a point would be enough for us at Leeds. 
    That’s what I think. A draw today and we only need a point against Leeds. 

Even if we lost against Leeds, two of Hull, Luton and Wigan would then have to win their final game to go above us. 

It's the 'only need a point against Leeds' that worries me!!

My Leeds boss is saying they haven't forgotten losing to us after they dominated the whole match...

Now that bothers me! 
    They’ve just become champions, we’ve got to hope they’ll have a relaxing evening! 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If Luton and Hull draw theoretically both could go ahead of us if they both win on Wednesday. Hull away to Cardiff seems unlikely, Luton at home to Blackburn seems more possible

Even if we lost against Leeds, two of Hull, Luton and Wigan would then have to win their final game to go above us. 
    Yeah ..... but that's what often happens on the last day of the season.

Take nothing for granted.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

That's the way I see it Bob
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:

Yeah ..... but that's what often happens on the last day of the season.

Take nothing for granted.

Of course not, that’s exactly why I want Hull and Luton to draw. Because we then go to Leeds knowing a point is enough. 
  • Options
    Massive point. Hopefully Leeds are already champions before we play them.
    Cant see it myself ;)
    D'oh, perception has never been my strong point.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    So 11 Championship goals now for our non-League striker.

Since Taylor f*cked off, it's all been on Bonne's shoulders. We need to cut him some slack.

Just like we have dropped 8 points in added time, it's only fair to look at the net position (late goals at Wigan and QPR) which makes it 6.

Same for Bonne........he has earned us a couple of points with his goals - but the net position after taking off his fluffs is about -12 goals and however many points (not checked).

He needs to be cut something, but not some slack.
    "Out of the picture" would be my choice.

Teams were quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Lyle, and the same doesn't happen for Chucks/Bonne/Hemed/Davidson - who sound more like a firm of solicitors on the team sheet.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

Not necessarily, a point would be enough if we lost at Leeds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phew

A strange first half in that whereas in he previous 7 games we'd looked solid at the back but toothless up front, today we looked nervous and sloppy at the back, but dangerous up front. Davison and Bonne are raw BUT they both can run behind the defenders which makes such a difference

In the second half we were far worse up front, just hoofing it up front, with Aneke giving away endless free kicks. But it eventually worked! Great flick on and a smart finish

Overall a much better performance. Great to see the Wigan players look so dejected and Paul Cook furious, with the 12 point deduction they're still well in it, and face Fulham on Wednesday  - if Fulham win today, they'll still have a chance of automatic promotion thanks to West Brom and Brentford losing, come on Scotty!
       Very True words and our players and manager
       Deserve to stay up, as for that ARSEHOLE Taylor .....
  • Options
    Haven’t read much lately but is the general consensus that Bowyer is off after the Leeds game? 
    Will be criminal If he’s allowed to wander off
  • Options
    Send out for a very long bike ride after Wigan scored, just back in and yeah it could’ve been worse I suppose.....
    ”’we go again’again”
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    So 11 Championship goals now for our non-League striker.

Since Taylor f*cked off, it's all been on Bonne's shoulders. We need to cut him some slack.

Just like we have dropped 8 points in added time, it's only fair to look at the net position (late goals at Wigan and QPR) which makes it 6.

Same for Bonne........he has earned us a couple of points with his goals - but the net position after taking off his fluffs is about -12 goals and however many points (not checked).

He needs to be cut something, but not some slack.
    "Out of the picture" would be my choice.

Teams were quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Lyle, and the same doesn't happen for Chucks/Bonne/Hemed/Davidson - who sound more like a firm of solicitors on the team sheet.
    Sorry, but that's ridiculous, for someone who has 11 goals this season. 

Bamford this season has 16 goals, but that has come from 125 shots, 56 of which were on target
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Hands up who’s pissed before 15:00 on a Saturday 🙋🏻‍♂️
    Does pissing yourself count?
    Get that cover on that mattress mate 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Haven’t read much lately but is the general consensus that Bowyer is off after the Leeds game? 
    Why is that? - I've seen nothing that would suggest he's off after that game
  • Options
    Massive point. Hopefully Leeds are already champions before we play them.

<Edit> Yes, I'm an idiot.
    And, perhaps, a BBC Sport journalist?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Why is that? - I've seen nothing that would suggest he's off after that game
    Nor me apart from unsubstantiated  media rumours 
  • Options
    Surprised Bowyer hasnt said more about Davison's selection today, seems he's just done well enough in training to be picked

• Options
    Surprised Bowyer hasnt said more about Davison's selection today, seems he's just done well enough in training to be picked

Done so well that he hasn’t even come on recently but then starts. 

Bows has got tired of Hemed and doesn’t trust Aneke, I don’t believe one second Davison was picked on merit, he was picked because everybody else is shit. Either way, he’s a young player who gave it his all which is all you can ask for