Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    We are in deep trouble yet again .. I can't see us getting anything at Leeds as they showed they are not letting up by hammering Derby, I also suspect that us beating them at the Valley hurt and they will be out for revenge .. we will be dependant on the EFL deciding at last on the Wigan situation, as I think Luton will get a point or three v Blackburn .. I am usually an optimist and hate even contemplating a situation whereby we are relying on things beyond our control for staying in this League, and this after all the hard work and euphoria of last season .. who will want to buy a third strata London club at this time when money is going to be as tight as it has ever been ? .. I pray that I am soooo wrong about this
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely Wigan were (without the deduction)  mathematically safe from relegation a while back so they should have taken away the 12 points at that point 
    or do the league leave it till the end of the season just in case appeals overturn the points negation
    It's -12 only if it will relegate them. If it won't, they get -12 at the start of next season

If they avoid relegation they could still finish 12-13th because no points will be deducted
    As has been said elsewhere, the - 12 will be applied this season. It might take them down, it might not.

The only scenario where the deduction would be carried forward to next season is if they had been relegated without the deduction (which obviously isn’t going to happen now as they have too many points.)
    I see I've been misunderstanding that for quite some time

Thanks for correcting me
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Surely Wigan were (without the deduction)  mathematically safe from relegation a while back so they should have taken away the 12 points at that point 
    or do the league leave it till the end of the season just in case appeals overturn the points negation
    It's -12 only if it will relegate them. If it won't, they get -12 at the start of next season

If they avoid relegation they could still finish 12-13th because no points will be deducted
    As has been said elsewhere, the - 12 will be applied this season. It might take them down, it might not.

The only scenario where the deduction would be carried forward to next season is if they had been relegated without the deduction (which obviously isn’t going to happen now as they have too many points.)
    I see I've been misunderstanding that for quite some time

Thanks for correcting me
    If it's any consolation mate you're not the only one and won't be the last either 😉.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    The cross field ball by Naddy Sarr to Bonne for the one to one on the keeper was pure class.

Naby Sarr can play accurate passes over 30 to 40 yards that other CB can only dream about. (including some In Premier)
    He hasn't been used enough in the 9 game mini season. He is not a striker, and other than the QPR away game it's a total waste of time putting him up front for the latter part of matches.
    Naby needs the ball at his feet with good moment up front. 

His Charlton career is coming to an end, and he must be worth a punt for several Championship clubs. Sarr does have errors in him as a defender, but the Nabster game is the good, bad and Millwall away, ugly.
    Yesterday was a typical Sarr match with sublime skill but basic poor defending when he tried to stop the cross for first goal with his right not left foot.
    he's been part of our history for 5 years and I wish him well.

One game shoot out which he may play a part in.

Almost every time a goal is scored, no matter what team or division you're looking at,  there's a defender who didn't cut out a cross, or missed a tackle, failed to block a shot, or got out jumped or out muscled. It's just when Sarr is involved it gets far more attention than it would if any other defender was involved. I think he's as good defensively as anyone else, but far, far better at passing and setting up chances than the rest of them put together.
    The idea of not playing him is nonsensical.

Agree James,
    That's why I said Sarr had been underused in the nine game mini League. The match when Pearce, who is a great warrior and captain tried to play the Naby role of 30 and 40 yard passes was doomed to fail.

I have always pointed out the positives in Sarr's game and how I think he should get a Championship move if he wants to stay in England. (Assuming the owners of Charlton can't match his last contract where he was on a higher wage than Taylor) But it would be remiss not to mention mistakes defensively in his game.

When we play 3-5-2 with Matthew's and Doughty as wing backs, a formation I prefer,
    Naby will be exposed on occasions out wide as you would expect if you are 6ft 5in and your name is not Usain Bolt.

Sarr can do passes that other CB can only dream about as long as he has forwards who can move into the space.

The sublime pass to Lyle Taylor for a goal earlier in the season was a thing of beauty.
    A Naby Sarr masterpiece: An exquisite landscape that Constable or Turner would have been proud to put their signature to.
  • Options
    It sounds like I have got it in for Bowyer but I really haven't. His achievements as our manager have been fantastic. But I do think he makes mistakes. I think he could have done more in relation to Fosu and said so at the time, and I think he should accept that Naby's strengths significantly outweigh his faults. he is a player we should have built our defence around. Not because he is a great defender, but because of what he gives the team in an creative and attacking sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I’ve seen Bonne getting a lot of blame for missing chances, but the issue is more that we don’t create enough. All strikers miss chances. Even the best strikers don’t score every good chance.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    I've consistently liked us with Sarr on the left of 3 a back 3, as it just works for us. 

Having Deji and Morgan on the left just looked awkward, as you have 2 players out of position. Yes it worked for the Hull game, but who knows we might have beaten Hull in a different formation seeing how poor they are, ditto QPR at that period.

Naby can create from the back instead of Pearce or Lockyer who are fine as defenders, but aren't great on the ball. They don't always come off, but Naby's Hoddlesque long passes are a dangerous weapon, if Bonne had scored his first chance, it would have been a carbon copy of Taylor's winner at Forest

Doughty can attack down the left with Naby able to cover on that side. Playing him at LB means he has too many defensive duties to worry about when we want him mainly in the final 3rd of the pitch
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I’ve seen Bonne getting a lot of blame for missing chances, but the issue is more that we don’t create enough. All strikers miss chances. Even the best strikers don’t score every good chance.
    Some way OTT comments about him, as if every striker scores every chance they get. Or that keepers don't sometimes do well and make saves.

The Birmingham one is a classic example, as the keeper did really well to close him down. If that had been reversed we would have praising Dillon rather than saying it was a bad miss
    Phillips has been damned good with his one v ones as well... If he's quick enough out of his six yard box then he quite often makes the save himself which is why its a bit annoying that Oshilaja made the foul against Reading as reckon there was a 50/50 chance of Dillon saving it, whereas my faith in him with penalties is a bit less... Its all about making yourself as big a target for as long as possible and basically forcing the into panicking and over thinking which is what Bonne effectively did first half
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I thought the idea is that the deduction is supposed to be a punishment for breaking the rules. If breaking the rules (i.e. overspending) allows a club to avoid relegation by 13 points, how is a 12 point deduction a punishment? It isn't.
    Therefore logic would dictate that if Wigan avoid the drop by 13 points, then the 12 point deduction should be made at the start of next season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Not that I disagree with your general point, just to say that we are 10th in the league for chances created
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Not that I disagree with your general point, just to say that we are 10th in the league for chances created
    You could be first in the league but if the chances you create are half chances or worse then you aren't going to be scoring regularly. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

I thought the idea is that the deduction is supposed to be a punishment for breaking the rules. If breaking the rules (i.e. overspending) allows a club to avoid relegation by 13 points, how is a 12 point deduction a punishment? It isn't.
    Therefore logic would dictate that if Wigan avoid the drop by 13 points, then the 12 point deduction should be made at the start of next season.
    12 points IS the punishment. It's not "12 points which has to mean something, so you're still safe we'll carry it forward". If they wanted the rules to say "automatic relegation is the punishment", that's what they would say.

If Leeds got the 12 point deduction they'd miss automatic promotion
    If Preston got it, they'd still be midtable, but lower down
    If Stoke got it, they'd be relegated, instead of being safe

You can't then say to Leeds and Stoke that their deductions will happen this season, but to Preston that their 12 point deduction is being carried forward to next season, as it's less of punishment.

• Options
    Blucher said:

Let's hope that the lads are fit and ready for Wednesday and that they can produce a top performance to take something from the game. A few beers to calm the nerves will most certainly be required.

I don't think that's a very good idea, would almost certainly negatively impact their performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    I assume that’s for the whole season, what about since the league restarted? We’re a weaker team without Gallagher, Leko and Taylor.