Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    I've just caught up with last night's Quest Championship action. Colin Murray seemed to be implying that Wigan's points deduction may be increased. Anyone know anything about this? Hadn't heard that any appeal could be ruled frivolous and increased before.
    I watched it and never heard that.
    Roughly when did he say that?
  • Options
    its all eerily quiet on the Wigan/Sheff Wed/Derby front, i am interested if they decide to penalise Wigan again next season if they avoid the drop as originally implied? 
    Also nothing is concrete for us at the bottom so these are big factors, we need to do our bit obviously but it would be nice to know going into the last game /2 asap what is required.
  • Options
    I've just caught up with last night's Quest Championship action. Colin Murray seemed to be implying that Wigan's points deduction may be increased. Anyone know anything about this? Hadn't heard that any appeal could be ruled frivolous and increased before.
    Me neither 😲.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53318930

"In addition, Wigan are facing a further points deduction of up to 15 points should any new owner fail to pay 25% of the money owed to non-football creditors."

Could have been referring to that?
  • Options

"In addition, Wigan are facing a further points deduction of up to 15 points should any new owner fail to pay 25% of the money owed to non-football creditors."

If that's it, it'll be no use to us this season.
  • Options
    Luton - 5 point deduction for having the worst away end in the division
    Huddersfield - 5 point deduction for that Paddy Power shirt at the start of the season
    Hull - 5 point deduction for conceding 8 goals in a game
    You forgot,
    Leeds - 10 for The Leko incident.
    If lyle signs for championship club--15 for being arse holes. 
  • Options
    After their match when talking to Stephen Warnock. I had to rewind it to be sure it was what he said.
  • Options

Update from Wigan camp today:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53429940

Also this stood out -

"...there is a massive difference in central solidarity payments between the £4.5m Championship clubs receive annually and the £700,000 League One clubs receive, so staying up is important financially."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barnsley - 10 point deduction for being northern monkeys
    This is no time for leniency Dave.
  • Options
    West Brom 5 points for having a boiler as their mascot
  • Options
    After their match when talking to Stephen Warnock. I had to rewind it to be sure it was what he said.
    He said re the 12 points, "I don't think it's gonna be just that".
  • Options

But that can't take place before next season, cos there's no way even a competent and diligent authority* could verify New Wigan's expenditure before it's happened.
    *this obviously excludes the preposterous whores at EFL
  • Options
    its all eerily quiet on the Wigan/Sheff Wed/Derby front, i am interested if they decide to penalise Wigan again next season if they avoid the drop as originally implied? 
    Also nothing is concrete for us at the bottom so these are big factors, we need to do our bit obviously but it would be nice to know going into the last game /2 asap what is required.
    not gonna happen EFL has not one scintilla of care for their own rightful conduct they expect the rest of us to just suck it up whenever they see fit to let the cheating scum off with nothing more than a stern look - see Birmingham last season
  • Options
    As much as I think the EFL are incompetent they do at least follow their own rules. Go into administration and you are deducted 12 points at the end of the season in question. If you happen to be already relegated then that 12 points is deducted the following season. If you finish outside the bottom 3 then the 12 points are deducted after the regular 46 games.......if that then means you are relegated then hard cheese, down you go.

It is really rather simple. Wigan will not be deducted 12 points next season if they happen to win their next 2 games & stay up, even after being deducted 12 points next Wednesday evening.

• Options
    EFL are leaving themselves wide open to legal challenges from whoever go down.

I can see a minor restructure of leagues 1 and 2 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    As much as I think the EFL are incompetent they do at least follow their own rules. Go into administration and you are deducted 12 points at the end of the season in question. If you happen to be already relegated then that 12 points is deducted the following season. If you finish outside the bottom 3 then the 12 points are deducted after the regular 46 games.......if that then means you are relegated then hard cheese, down you go.

It is really rather simple. Wigan will not be deducted 12 points next season if they happen to win their next 2 games & stay up, even after being deducted 12 points next Wednesday evening.

Yeah, I believe this is right - golfie corrected me on this a few days ago. However, I think the system is set up wrongly.

I would maintain that deductions administered during a season should only be applied to that season if they have some meaningful effect on final position. If not, they should be applied at the beginning of the following season.

In other words, if your deduction takes you from:
    Automatic promotion to playoffs
    Playoffs to midtable or
    Midtable to relegation
    then it should be applied immediately, otherwise it should apply at the beginning of the following season.

In my view, it’s not right that decisions on the scale of punishments are made when some of the season has already played out and the realistic effect can already be seen. If points are deducted at the beginning of a season and end up having no effect, so be it - at least it’s been applied fairly.

Just for some context, if my suggestion were applied last year, then Birmingham would be in deep shit this season. (A situation about which I’m still angry and still don’t understand why more people aren’t also angry.)
  • Options

Surely all this is too late now, and unless a decision is reached in the next few days then any further deduction beyond the initial 12 would have to be next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Surely all this is too late now, and unless a decision is reached in the next few days then any further deduction beyond the initial 12 would have to be next season.
    I really cannot see any situation where the result of their appeal will not be announced before the relegation places are decided, or that they will have more points deducted than the 12. Hopefully nothing less.
    I think the possibility of the further points is a great idea if it means that new owners can’t ignore all the businesses that were owed money by the old company.
  • Options
    Huddersfield - 5 point deduction for that Paddy Power shirt at the start of the season
    Charlton deducted 15 points for being shit. 
  • Options
    But this was only decided almost right at the very last few moments before the season ended after we appeared to be safe
  • Options
    Technically this has happened with injury time goals conceded 
  • Options
    I agree mate. If you know for sure what Sheff  Weds Wigan and Derby are going to be hit with then it gives everyone else a chance and plan for certain games. ie you could be going into the next 2 games thinking  2 draws will do, then find out it is not enough. 
  • Options
    Wigan will survive in the Champ despite the 12 point deduction.

We will be relegated, and then go into administration.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    dickplumb said:
    Wigan will survive in the Champ despite the 12 point deduction.

We will be relegated, and then go into administration.
    Happy days.
    I know, but I don;t see how we can avoid admin if we go down. The only asset we have to offer to investors since the ground was magicked from under us is our championship status.  Wigan will have investors if they stay up.  I fear that this club and its 115 yr long place in the local community will be gone soon as a direct result of RDs ability to manipulate the weakness of the EFL.

Another example of how the wealthy win.