Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• SamE7 said:
    Who was the guy Roland vetoed us signing after we sold KAG and went to Plymouth (I think) instead? What's he up to these days?
    Wasnt that Mo Eisa @ Peterborough?
    No, Graham Carey I believe?
    Carey was already at Plymouth, he's also a midfielder so cant see why he'd have replaced Grant
  • N Williams will probably take a Championship or even Premiership loan unless Klopp wants him around. He'd never come to L1 alas
  • Sorry but fail to see how Gunter is a 'great signing'.

Matthews was probably our best player for the last few games of last season and our best defender for most of it.

It looks like we have failed to to retain his services despite the new ownership buzz which seems to have fizzled out before it even started.

Our squad still looks painfully weak even for this league. When people start fondly remembering Magennis who despite his great effort, had the turning circle of  a large container ship with one engine broken, you know there is a major problem.
    Who is playing for wales tonight, Gunter or Matthews?
    The " i "  newspaper reporting Wales rb tonight is N Williams.
    Kinell, why didn't we sign N Williams?
    They ran out of laverbread and bara brith in the Sparrows Lane canteen.
  • edited October 2020
    SamE7 said:
    Who was the guy Roland vetoed us signing after we sold KAG and went to Plymouth (I think) instead? What's he up to these days?

No none of the names mentioned so far are the one I was thinking of. Have a feeling he was being released by Wolves (maybe) but my memory is fuzzy.
    Joe Mason? Roland pulled the plug on this deal and he went to Pompey. He is from Plymouth and started there. 
  • Surely Janie Vardey would join for a £2m promotion bonus?
  • Surely Janie Vardey would join for a £2m promotion bonus?
    In 2 years time.

• RedRobin said:
    SamE7 said:

No none of the names mentioned so far are the one I was thinking of. Have a feeling he was being released by Wolves (maybe) but my memory is fuzzy.
    Joe Mason? Roland pulled the plug on this deal and he went to Pompey. He is from Plymouth and started there. 

That's the one I think! Thank you.

Wikipedia tells me he's at MK Dons now, and not played much or scored often since we "missed out" on him, so doubt we'll be going after him again.
  • wasn’t their a wasn’t there a creative midfielder too form the lower leagues who opted to go abroad last year as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Who was the guy Roland vetoed us signing after we sold KAG and went to Plymouth (I think) instead? What's he up to these days?
    Could’ve been him, I can’t remember. Didn’t Thomas Driesen claim he put a stop to it and said he was proved correct even though the player had done pretty well?
  • edited October 2020
    Could’ve been him, I can’t remember. Didn’t Thomas Driesen claim he put a stop to it and said he was proved correct even though the player had done pretty well?
    Edit: wrong year
  • SamE7 said:
    Carey was already at Plymouth, he's also a midfielder so cant see why he'd have replaced Grant
    Or was it that Portuguese player who chose to go back to Portugal?
  • Sorry but fail to see how Gunter is a 'great signing'.

Matthews was probably our best player for the last few games of last season and our best defender for most of it.

It looks like we have failed to to retain his services despite the new ownership buzz which seems to have fizzled out before it even started.

Our squad still looks painfully weak even for this league. When people start fondly remembering Magennis who despite his great effort, had the turning circle of  a large container ship with one engine broken, you know there is a major problem.
    Neither starting tonight!
  • Ferryman said:
    SamE7 said:
    Like Carey he was already at Plymouth before we sold Grant. Fairly certain it was Mo Eisa that we were after.
  • Ferryman said:
    Sorry but fail to see how Gunter is a 'great signing'.

Bloody typical lol
  • Ferryman said:
    SamE7 said:
    Like Carey he was already at Plymouth before we sold Grant. Fairly certain it was Mo Eisa that we were after.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/83865/charlton-l1-january-2019-transfer-rumours-ed-deadline-day-starts-p98/p98
  • Who was the guy Roland vetoed us signing after we sold KAG and went to Plymouth (I think) instead? What's he up to these days?
    Eisa would have been at Bristol City at the time actually not Peterborough

He then joined Peterborough that summer with Driesen making the cheeky remark to McAnthony on twitter saying he'd paid too much

So wont be surprised if Driesen in turn had vetoed us bringing him in
  • MattF said:
    Tom Eaves was mentioned but can't remember if that was in January or not 
    Could’ve been him. Didn’t Gallen or Bowyer say he was in the building, had his medical with an hour to go before the deadline and little Tommy said no. We signed Parker instead.
  • Ferryman said:

Bloody typical lol
    Williams starting at Wembley even though he doesn't start many for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    MattF said:
    Tom Eaves was mentioned but can't remember if that was in January or not 
    Could’ve been him. Didn’t Gallen or Bowyer say he was in the building, had his medical with an hour to go before the deadline and little Tommy said no. We signed Parker instead.
    No that was Otzumer. 

Ched Evans was due to sign for Bolton which would have meant they would have loaned Ozzie to us. 

Just our luck. Evans then went to score the winner against us that weekend for Fleetwood. 

That was when Bowyer told the story
  • edited October 2020
    Pretty sure that was Tom Eaves. Driesen tweeted about how he rescued us because Bowyer & Gallen really wanted him, but he rejected the signing because his chance conversion rate wasn't high enough. 
  • Chunes said:
    Pretty sure that was Tom Eaves. Driesen tweeted about how he rescued us because Bowyer & Gallen really wanted him, but he rejected the signing because his chance conversion rate wasn't high enough. 
    Wasn't he the summer just gone for the Championship?
  • Chunes said:
    Driesen definitely rejected Tom Eaves based on his conversion rate and was actually right - That was last summer though when he was available on a free

Dont think we ever tried getting him whilst he was at Gillingham 
  • Ferryman said:
    Ferryman said:

Bloody typical lol
    Williams starting at Wembley even though he doesn't start many for us.
    Yeh cant get my head around it.
    He is good and fit enough to start against England but not able to start against Sunderland or Lincoln.
    Are we (England) that crap now😀

• We’ve established it was Joe Mason guys, stand down 😂
  • RedRobin said:
    We’ve established it was Joe Mason guys, stand down 😂
    The timelines on Joe Mason don’t really line up though. He was loaned to Pompey at the beginning of the 18-19 season, went back to Wolves who then released him at the end of January window. There was no talk of us signing him on that deadline day that I remember.

All the talk at the time was that Grant was to be replaced by a short term loan player. We tried to get Mo Eisa from Bristol City but they couldn’t get a deal done for the striker they wanted so they didn’t let us take Eisa.
  • RedRobin said:
    We’ve established it was Joe Mason guys, stand down 😂
    The timelines on Joe Mason don’t really line up though. He was loaned to Pompey at the beginning of the 18-19 season, went back to Wolves who then released him at the end of January window. There was no talk of us signing him on that deadline day that I remember.

All the talk at the time was that Grant was to be replaced by a short term loan player. We tried to get Mo Eisa from Bristol City but they couldn’t get a deal done for the striker they wanted so they didn’t let us take Eisa.
    Wasnt it then a repeat of the same story when we tried to bring in Matty Taylor from them last January?

Our window closed again before League One and League Two so he ended up going to Oxford United 
  • Ferryman said:

Thanks god for that.  All we need is for him to do a bloody Taylor on us.