Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    mendonca said:
    There is no way our permanent centre backs in the squad should be Pearce, Oshilaja and Ashley Williams! Just one from those three will be enough alongside an up and coming CB, for me.
    I'd use Charlie Barker. If you're good enough you're old enough and it didn't stop Rufus or Gomez.
    He isn't though. He has been ok since he came in but if you want to get promoted out of this league he should not be starting. 
    Don't overlook the fact that he has played out of position. Famewo and Barker can play the younger CB role for me. 
  • edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    There is no way our permanent centre backs in the squad should be Pearce, Oshilaja and Ashley Williams! Just one from those three will be enough alongside an up and coming CB, for me.
    I'd use Charlie Barker. If you're good enough you're old enough and it didn't stop Rufus or Gomez.
    If anything those examples prove your point. I think Barker and Famewo should be being rotated to ensure they play at the quality level required. 

I don't see a Gomez in Barker yet, but he is developing well and sending him to National League (as Bowyer would to enable recall) for me wouldn't be any better than playing in the U18/23 sides. 
  • mendonca said:
    Having just one of those turning out at CB for Charlton will be enough to give me nightmares for the whole season 😟😬😢⚽
  • I’ve seen Barker twice, against Doncaster and Lincoln he looked a little out of his depth. To be fair sounds like he played a lot better in previous games, so maybe being harsh.
  • I get that the lack of decent rumours is frustrating but I actually kind of like that absolutely everything relating to our club doesn’t get leaked all over social media since TS took over. It’s probably what it’s like to be a fan of a normal club. 
  • I’ve seen Barker twice, against Doncaster and Lincoln he looked a little out of his depth. To be fair sounds like he played a lot better in previous games, so maybe being harsh.
    He's been played out of position at RB in every game so far this season. Even Gomez struggled at first when pushed out to RB. He'll come good I am sure, but it won't be as a result of being sent to the National League. 
  • Sponsored links:

• BalladMan said:
    clive said:
    Sounds like Bowyer is getting pissed off about being asked when we are signing people.......  :smile:
    Sounds to me like they are still looking for a better player......but will take him this time next Friday.
    I think he's a free agent (even though compo is due) so may not need to sign within the deadline.
  • BalladMan said:
    clive said:
    Sounds like Bowyer is getting pissed off about being asked when we are signing people.......  :smile:
    Sounds to me like they are still looking for a better player......but will take him this time next Friday.
    I think he's a free agent (even though compo is due) so may not need to sign within the deadline.
    Our last 3 permanent signings have all been free agents, it wouldn't be surprising if our perm signings continue to be like that, so the deadline is only really for our loan signings
  • DOUCHER said:
    famewo and pearce r first choice now - we need another who is at least as good / ready - barker and oshilaja should be stop gaps this season, nothing more  
    Pratley really is pretty good for a L1 centre-back
  • But with both Pearce and Famewo being left footed, chances are they won't play together as we know Bow's rule in respects to that.
  • mendonca said:
    But with both Pearce and Famewo being left footed, chances are they won't play together as we know Bow's rule in respects to that.
    ...and for good reasons. The only way the two should start is as part of a three. 
  • Leuth said:
    DOUCHER said:
    famewo and pearce r first choice now - we need another who is at least as good / ready - barker and oshilaja should be stop gaps this season, nothing more  
    Pratley really is pretty good for a L1 centre-back

couldn't disagree more - he gets thrown around like a rag doll when he comes up against a proper striker - he's another who shouldn't be a first choice player if we are to go up
  • mendonca said:
    But with both Pearce and Famewo being left footed, chances are they won't play together as we know Bow's rule in respects to that.

didn't realise that - we are looking for a right footed commanding centre half to pair with the Norwich lad as first choice then if playing 4 a t back
  • mendonca said:

He doesn't mind playing a RB at LB though.

• BalladMan said:
    clive said:
    I’m afraid that goes with his job. 
  • People are weird (I don't mean on here, in the general footballing world) about having two left footed centre halves. If you look at the history of teams, ours and those all over the world it's really common to have two right footed centre halves, and no-one cares. Vidic and Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho, Toure and Campbell, Hummel and Boateng, Puyol and Pique. All right footers. Bowyer very specifically likes to have a right and left footer at the back, and there tends to be much more of a fear of having two lefties across football. It's strange
  • Sponsored links:

• People are weird (I don't mean on here, in the general footballing world) about having two left footed centre halves. If you look at the history of teams, ours and those all over the world it's really common to have two right footed centre halves, and no-one cares. Vidic and Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho, Toure and Campbell, Hummel and Boateng, Puyol and Pique. All right footers. Bowyer very specifically likes to have a right and left footer at the back, and there tends to be much more of a fear of having two lefties across football. It's strange
    Thats because if you're a leftie, you never play in the right whereas righties will have experience of playing on the left.  On Famewo, he looked very comfortable on his right foot tbf
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Love that people are trying to force Famewo into the RCB position despite him being a LCB/LB trained left footed player... 

Square pegs guys...
    Fair point, i suppose in an ideal world you would have a
    left footed LCB and right footed RCB, and both able to switch
    if needed, however needs must when backs against the wall,
    either RCB or LCB ;)
  • In these days of kids being coached in academies etc from a really young age , shouldn't they really be equally as comfortable with both feet if they want to be a pro footballer ? 
  • mendonca said:

He doesn't mind playing a RB at LB though.

Depends on the opposing winger though ...... if their right winger is naturally right footed with pace, he'll try and go past on the outside: at LB we would need a left footer  so as to be able to tackle on his stronger foot.

If their RW is a left footer (inverted winger), he'll usually have a tendency to cut inside our LB on his stronger left foot.
    A right footed LB can usually counter that better on his stronger right foot.

Horses for courses, and all that. Although sometimes we've ended up with a donkey instead. 

• Dazzler21 said:
    Love that people are trying to force Famewo into the RCB position despite him being a LCB/LB trained left footed player... 

Square pegs guys...
    either RCB or LCB ;)
     I'll be concerned if we can't snap up a decent (for this level) RCB that is right footed.

Our backs should not yet be against the wall.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Square pegs guys...
    either RCB or LCB ;)
     I'll be concerned if we can't snap up a decent (for this level) RCB that is right footed.

Our backs should not yet be against the wall.
    I'd be concerned as well as you, however we seem to
    be making hard work of it.
    Appreciate another week to go till door shut, so with my
    positive hat on, we will prevail. :)
  • In these days of kids being coached in academies etc from a really young age , shouldn't they really be equally as comfortable with both feet if they want to be a pro footballer ? 
    Most players can (and do) use both feet nowadays but there will always be a "stronger" foot used in preference or out of instinct except in very rare cases.

A right-handed person could be taught to write left handed (and vice versa) but they'd probably still be more proficient with the naturally stronger hand. Feet are the same way.
  • thenewbie said:
    In these days of kids being coached in academies etc from a really young age , shouldn't they really be equally as comfortable with both feet if they want to be a pro footballer ? 
    Most players can (and do) use both feet nowadays but there will always be a "stronger" foot used in preference or out of instinct except in very rare cases.

A right-handed person could be taught to write left handed (and vice versa) but they'd probably still be more proficient with the naturally stronger hand. Feet are the same way.
    Interestingly Johnnie Jackson is left footed and right handed. Ricky Holmes was the opposite. 
  • Gunter is a big unit. I wonder if he could play as a 3 at the back? Doughty as left wing back so just the RWB to sort.