Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• 5pm announcement ?
  • Surely we should just sign who we want to get out of this league, go over the cap and take the fine on the chin?
    Us football fans are such a bunch of hypocrites, a different breed.

We spend years protesting against the EFL, they need to get a grip on the finances and wages to stop clubs going bust.

The EFL introduce a wage cap in the middle of a pandemic and the first thing some of us fans do is try and work a way round it, or say to just ignore it (me included).
    But it's not been thought out properly. I'm all for a wage cap, but balanced against profits or turnover, not just some figure picked out of the air. 

Surely if you filled out your 40,000 stadium you are in a better position to pay a player £x than a club who only gets a 4,000 gate. You could cap the wage at 50% turnover or a% of gate receipts. Instead its come down to the lowest common denominator. 

We are especially hampered as we have been under a transfer embargo & so unable to bring in players BEFORE the wage cap came in. We were lucky to be able to sign Gilbey & Washington (and that was because we forced the EFL's hand) as well as renewing Williams contract. We have started this season with one hand tied behind our backs. At the very least the EFL should have given us a week or two's grace before it applying to us.

Your alternative 'wage cap' method makes lots of sense golfie and is arithmetically simple to demonstrate but you're crediting the EFL with far too much sense and intelligence, when they continually prove they have none in any relevant area.
    The Leagues 1 & 2 over simplistic and fatally short-sighted wage caps were carried by majorities in each division.  The larger clubs in each division mostly voted against and we understand why - these arbitrary numbers are way way below some of the existing wage structures, even Roly's piss poor budget foisted on LB.  But the smaller clubs voted it in cos in their blinkered self-defeating position it impairs them far far less in the immediate short term.
    It gives them a better chance of making the top 6 this season.  They believe it hampers the Sunderlands etc from "buying" a place in the top few.  They didn't give next season a thought and how the eff they'd hope to pull a squad together next term starting with a £2M budget squad in the higher division.
    There was witless, desperate pressure from Parry and his trough guzzling fucktards on the EFL board to be seen to be doing anything about finances.  And those self same, self-serving gravy train scumbags will turn around in 12 months - 2 years time with the perfect get out "the clubs agreed that themselves, it's not our fault".  It suits the backsliding treacherous cocks in their teflon suits down to the ground.
    With the EFL's multiple precedents for letting off shameless overspending cheating club owners, vis Birmingham & SheffW, with absolutely no effective punishment for simplistic financial rule breaking, we shouldn't get too hung up on this wage cap inconvenience.  TS and other club owners of adequate means should carry on and spend what they can afford, pay lip service to this cock-eyed, legally dubious bit of half-wit "governance" and let EFL do what they want, whenever they get around to appraising the numbers.
    By the time the craven arseholes in Preston get around to ruling on it, allowing an appeal, dreaming up a punishment, allowing an appeal and eventually handing down the consequence: Charlton or Sunderland or whoever could be knocking on the door of the Championship play offs with not a flying strump given for a tuppenny-ha'penny fine and a scolding from the teflon bottom feeders.
    Add to that TS engages Freshfields who spit out bigger cleverer opponents than EFL's muppets every single day before going and doing their real work.
  • Looks like the fish may of slipped of the hook at the last minute!!!

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Maddison has the potential to be a bit of a cult hero. 

About time we had someone who was a bit of a shithouse.
    Tony Watt with a bit more abilty.
    The younger of the 2 has played in the champions league, over 70 games in the championship and been capped by his country.  The older is Marcus Maddison. 
    Give me Maddison any day.

What has he done to upset you?
    Nothing.  I don't know why everytime anyone mentions him there is a massive love in.  

How many times have you seen Maddison in the flesh?

How many times is anyone considered one of the best players in league 1 for 5 or 6 season yet is still a league 1 player?

His numbers are great but there is a reason he is a league 1 player, still. 

If we sign him great.  But reading a lot of the comments, every time his name comes up, he seems to of achieved mythical status. 
    His assist record is ridiculous.

He is a league one player but we are a league one team.

I’m not expecting him to fire us into the Prem over 3 years but he without doubt has the quality to get us out of this league if we also sign a finisher. The only reason he didn’t go on to better things with Peterborough is because their defence was dog shit.

Assists can be misleading though - you only get one if someone else does their job a sticks it in the back of the net. Posh consistently have prolific strikers. We do not.
    So its still an assist then?
    Yes, but the point is, if you're passing to a good striker your numbers may look better because that striker takes more chances. There may be equally or even more talented midfielders who lay on more chances, but their teammates miss more often than not so that midfielder's assist stats don't look as good, even though they actually created more chances overall.

For example, there was a period a couple of seasons ago when Johnny Williams had no assists for us and was getting criticized for it, but when you looked in more detail he had laid on three absolutely gilt-edged chances inside the six yard box for, I think, Vetokele and Cullen (or maybe it was JFC), and they'd managed to miss all of them when they were all chances that 9 out of 10 times should've been scored. None of that was Williams' fault though.

• cafc4life said:
    5pm announcement ?
    Now you've jinxed it
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Looks like the fish may of slipped of the hook at the last minute!!!
    How so?
  • Oztumer has been awful this season, played one league game where he was our 3rd highest rated player (on statbank).

#escapedgoat 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Stop saying waiting for Sangard, it isn’t. He won’t be making any signing announcements. 
     Well, Varney maybe?

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Maddison has the potential to be a bit of a cult hero. 

About time we had someone who was a bit of a shithouse.
    Tony Watt with a bit more abilty.
    The younger of the 2 has played in the champions league, over 70 games in the championship and been capped by his country.  The older is Marcus Maddison. 
    Give me Maddison any day.

What has he done to upset you?
    Nothing.  I don't know why everytime anyone mentions him there is a massive love in.  

How many times have you seen Maddison in the flesh?

How many times is anyone considered one of the best players in league 1 for 5 or 6 season yet is still a league 1 player?

His numbers are great but there is a reason he is a league 1 player, still. 

If we sign him great.  But reading a lot of the comments, every time his name comes up, he seems to of achieved mythical status. 
    His assist record is ridiculous.

He is a league one player but we are a league one team.

I’m not expecting him to fire us into the Prem over 3 years but he without doubt has the quality to get us out of this league if we also sign a finisher. The only reason he didn’t go on to better things with Peterborough is because their defence was dog shit.

Assists can be misleading though - you only get one if someone else does their job a sticks it Not at the mome
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry Exiled, cocked up your post still learning certain aspects
    of this forum
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oztumer has been awful this season, played one league game where he was our 3rd highest rated player (on statbank).

#escapedgoat 
    Why is it only about league games though?  Surely in mickey mouse cup games he should looks even more impressive.  Anyway, he is under performing based on the standards set last year. 
  • BalladMan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oztumer has been awful this season, played one league game where he was our 3rd highest rated player (on statbank).

#escapedgoat 
    Why is it only about league games though?  Surely in mickey mouse cup games he should looks even more impressive.  Anyway, he is under performing based on the standards set last year. 
    He scored in the only micky mouse cup game he played in!!! 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Stop saying waiting for Sangard, it isn’t. He won’t be making any signing announcements. 
    No respect.  ;)
  • MattF said:
    We're going to need a bigger boat 🎣🎣🎣
  • edited October 2020
    oooohhh looks like we have landed the big fish ... or have we let him off the hook
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Is this fact or just because cawley said it might happen and it hasn’t as yet?
  • edited October 2020
    Or this is all a swerve and Cawley is 'fishing' for clicks on the website and reeling fans in with all of this
  • Sponsored links:

• Bigger boat needed, perhaps we've missed out...
  • And there's Marcus confirmed just as I type that haha
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Is this fact or just because cawley said it might happen and it hasn’t as yet?
    Sorry not claiming to be ITK , just joking based on Cawleys comments and the fact nothing has been announced yet!
  • edited October 2020

❓❔❓❔ 𝕲𝖚𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝖜𝖍𝖔 ❓❔❓❔

#cafc pic.twitter.com/JIbFnZG8Qm

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) October 1, 2020
    So turns out I dont know how to embed a tweet...

EDIT: Sorted 
  • ❓❔❓❔ 𝕲𝖚𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝖜𝖍𝖔 ❓❔❓❔

• Such a good signing, exactly what we need
  • Is it done?

I can only see another rib-achingly funny wind up in the topics.