Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Re visited

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Richard J said:
    Gillingham v Charlton from 1974 on ITV4 now
    A midfield three of Bowman , Dunphy and Hunt wouldn't pass any CL height tests .
    When you add Peacock to those three plus Warman at left back, that must have been one of the shortest teams of all time that we ever put out. The irony is that our sub, Bobby Goldthorpe and the two from Gillingham who played for us too, Dave Shipperley and Dick Tydeman, would have towered above all of our starting XI as I doubt any of ours were much taller than 6' 0''
    Looking at the line up I think Horsfield is the only 6 footer in our team apart from the keeper John Dunn. 
  • Options
    Gillingham v Charlton from 1974, looking at it now, although the game has changed, I thought we played well. Certainly better that last weeks game with Wigan.
     I didn't go but my aunt and uncle went. I remember this because it was them telling me about it and watching on the Sunday with them that got me interested in Charlton. If only they'd have gone to Arsenal, probably be contemplating suicide this week.

• Options
    Just watching Norwich v Southampton 1980. Norwich player can't take a decent run up for his corner as someone has parked the ubiquitous light blue three wheeler right next to the corner flag.
  • Options
    ...and just watched Charlie George punch a photographer.

Oh the good old days...
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Just started on itv4. 1979-80. Closong stages of the season. Palace v liverpool now. Mike Flanagan playing. Our game v Leicester at home will be third and last game probably after 6.30pm.
  • Options
    Just started on itv4. 1979-80, Final game of the season. Palace v liverpool now. Mike Flanagan playing. Our game v Leicester at home will be third and last game probably after 6.30pm.
    Just sitting down watching this - did we win that game? If we lost I won’t bother watching as I’ll have the hump all night. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Just started on itv4. 1979-80, Final game of the season. Palace v liverpool now. Mike Flanagan playing. Our game v Leicester at home will be third and last game probably after 6.30pm.
    Just sitting down watching this - did we win that game? If we lost I won’t bother watching as I’ll have the hump all night. 
    Flash playing for palace ? Ignore that, just seen the other post
  • Options
    '77 was that when we were coming back from Fulham and got kicked off the tube by Police and then paraded down the King's Road ? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Today it was Charlton 1 Huddersfield 2 1980 a few observations:
    1. The adidas shirt from that year is probably my favourite Charlton shirt it’s beautiful. I have to find one on eBay.
    2. 42 years ago we were aiming for an all seater stadium how ahead of our time we were.
    3. Not sure if it’s the sound but the fans seemed more excited even when we’re losing ie I feel people were less demanding?
    3. Whats changed 42 years later? Still in division 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I love watching some of these old games.

One of the things that strikes me is how much more open and attacking they are. Every time a team gets the ball they are looking to play it forward and launch an attack.

There's no doubt in my mind that that the increased levels of players fitness has meant the pitches - although the same size - are effectively "smaller" in that there is less space to play. But also the mentality has changed a lot more and the emphasis has changed more to one of not taking any chances and not wanting to lose, rather than bombing forward to try and win all the time.
  • Options
    I'm watching Chelsea v Wolves 12/12/76, the old songs ...

Chelsea aggro Chelsea aggro
    Hello hello

You're gonna get your ducking head kicked in

We'll see you all outside
  • Options
    Richard Wilson came from Orpington remember playing football with him in the park,and being told he was training with  Chelsea 
    Played against him when he played for Orpington Sports after his spell with us.

We beat ‘em😀
  • Options
    Palace v Charlton on now.
    I've watched that three times recently as it is oft repeated and we lose every F*ing time.
    Great goal from Paddy though,  voted goal of the season,  if memory serves me right. 
    And Nelson bollocked him for it as he'd told him not to shoot from outside the box..
    Palace manager was not concerned when Paddy cut inside, why because he had no left foot.  Had to laugh.

• Options
    Whenever I hear the theme tune now it makes me shudder as it will always remind me of lockdown now.  Saturday nights spent lockdown with Tavern watching this in the kitchen sound up full blast to drown out the noise of a drunk me on my laptop on a zoom call.. 

May we never ever go back there.

Shame as that is a top theme tune. 

• Options
    https://youtu.be/tEwi4zHw62

16/8/69, away to the spanners.
    Sums us up I skipped the video forward once, straight to Millwall 1 Charlton 0 popping up on the screen...
  • Options
    Interesting episode a couple of weeks ago which showed Derek Hales score a brace for West Ham against Ipswich when Town were a top side.