Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Re visited

Comments

• Options
    Was there. I think we only won 4 games that season. Remarkable job by Bailey to get us promoted the following season with the mercurial Walsh up front with Killer. Still pains me we didn't win the league. I think the cup run to the 5th round took it's toll.
  • Options
    Was there. I think we only won 4 games that season. Remarkable job by Bailey to get us promoted the following season with the mercurial Walsh up front with Killer. Still pains me we didn't win the league. I think the cup run to the 5th round took it's toll.
    Just looked - we only won once after 15th December, a 4-0 home win ! 
    As you say, Bailey worked miracles the following season.
  • Options
    1979-80 probably lines up as one of the worst seasons I can remember. We'd had two last game escapes the previous two seasons which we reacted to by getting even worse the following year. Pretty sure we didn't win any away games and only a handful at home, including a 1-0 against West Ham, the day Viggo Jacobsen and Johnny Ostergaard were unveiled. As Danish saviours go, TS is a definite upgrade on those two.

We had the Nelson-Bailey merry go round, a 6-0 cup exit at Wrexham (we still gave a monkeys about the cup in those days), and the feeling that every week we were digging ourselves further into a hole.

Like Bollox says, the following season Mike Bailey did a great job, that one goes down as one of my favourite seasons. Always wonder what would have happened if Bailey had stayed, everyone seemed to be pulling the same way for once.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This was my first visit to Stamford Bridge and I was 13 went with my Dad . We had started to go to all of the London away games .

IIRC there were lots of London clubs in that year's Division 2 with Fulham , Orient , QPR and West Ham also playing at that level and the likes of Cambridge , Luton and Watford meant there were plenty of local away days . Mike Bailey's arrival did temporarily give some hope although the week after this game we lost 4-0 to QPR at Loftus Road before the following week beating West Ham 1-0 in the game that @Big William describes above .

Our defence that season is best described by a couple of drunken Scottish Charlton fans who used to stand behind me . They sang a version of the Okey Cokey in celebration of Andy Nelson's habit of changing the defensive positions of players even if sometimes he kept the same personnel . 

' You get your left back in ,
     your right back out ,
     in , out , in , out you shake them all about ,
    You do the Andy Nelson and you change them around ,
     Thats what its all about ,
     Ohh ohh the Andy Nelson .

To be fair I would exclude Les Berry from the defensive criticism as he became Player Of The Year in such an awful side  and was probably the only defender who came out of the season with credit .

In this game Tydeman admitted that his goal was a miskick , but you can see how it confused Borota in the Chelsea goal . If he had meant it , it would have been genius . It is a great shame that Madden didn't make it 2-0 although his run wasn't very elegant from left back .

Mike Bailey is one of my favourite Charlton managers for the way he took this squad back up from the Third Division in one season . I was gutted when he left to join Brighton . The 1980/81 team was the first that I followed away outside London the fact that it was only the emergence of youth players Kevin Smith and Paul Walsh ( who both played occasionally in 79/80 ) and the signing mid season of Terry Naylor that changed from this squad .   
  • Options
    Richard Wilson came from Orpington remember playing football with him in the park,and being told he was training with  Chelsea 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    A really good FA Cup Third Round themed episode today as Spurs play Man Utd in the main match  . It reminds me of how the competition has been so devalued over the last 40 years. There is genuine excitement and first team players on display as Manchester City play Halifax .

Future Addicks Chris Jones , Don McAllister and Paul Miller play for Tottenham . I had forgotten how good Jones had been at White Hart Lane . When he joined us a few years later he never held down a regular place although iirc he was still in his late 20's and should have been in his prime .

A young Alan Curbishley features for Brum  the third featured match against Southampton. 
  • Options
    Was that the Birmingham game where the one and only Martin Duffield played for us, what a player!! 😂 
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Was that the Birmingham game where the one and only Martin Duffield played for us, what a player!! 😂 
    No it was against Southampton.

I won't say anymore in case someone wants to watch the programme. 
  • Options
    It would of helped if I read it properly before posting.

• Options
    Bilko said:
    It would of helped if I read it properly before posting.

What I really enjoy about these programmes is that it is so long ago that apart from our matches I don't know the scores. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    A really good FA Cup Third Round themed episode today as Spurs play Man Utd in the main match  . It reminds me of how the competition has been so devalued over the last 40 years. There is genuine excitement and first team players on display as Manchester City play Halifax .

Future Addicks Chris Jones , Don McAllister and Paul Miller play for Tottenham . I had forgotten how good Jones had been at White Hart Lane . When he joined us a few years later he never held down a regular place although iirc he was still in his late 20's and should have been in his prime .

A young Alan Curbishley features for Brum  the third featured match against Southampton. 
    Some big names in that Birmingham side.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Remember the 79-80 season well. We lost 4-0 to Sunderland at home, and was sat in the west stand as had a new gf, remember some Sunderland fans behind us saying how pants we were, and what a shit ground. Always remember those words when ever play off final time comes round. 
  • Options
    Gillingham v Charlton from 1974 on ITV4 now
  • Options
    Lineups

• Options
    It must have been a good day out . I can't remember anything about it 😀
  • Options
    A midfield three of Bowman , Dunphy and Hunt wouldn't pass any CL height tests .
  • Options
    I was 9 and watched this on TV in a caravan in Devon when on holiday with my mum and dad. Remember being so excited that Charlton were on Tele
  • Options
    what was the score?
  • Options
    Ron Hillyard....Gills legend. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    what was the score?
    1-0 Charlton 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a treat when we were on the big match because it wasn't that often. I still remember feeling rotten because we had to go and see relatives, which was boring anyway, on the day the Hull City at the Valley highlights were on.
  • Options
    Palace v Charlton on now.
  • Options
    I've watched that three times recently as it is oft repeated and we lose every F*ing time.
    Great goal from Paddy though,  voted goal of the season,  if memory serves me right. 
  • Options
    I've watched that three times recently as it is oft repeated and we lose every F*ing time.
    Thanks for the info Muttley, you've save me the trouble of searching for it on the 'ITV Hub' (a shit show, in a class of its own).
    Great goal from Paddy though,  voted goal of the season,  if memory serves me right. 
    Oh no, I'm conflicted now!
  • Options
    And I keep shouting for VAR to rule out Chatterton's goal .
  • Options
    And Nelson bollocked him for it as he'd told him not to shoot from outside the box..
  • Options
    My favourite away shirt.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    A midfield three of Bowman , Dunphy and Hunt wouldn't pass any CL height tests .
    When you add Peacock to those three plus Warman at left back, that must have been one of the shortest teams of all time that we ever put out. The irony is that our sub, Bobby Goldthorpe and the two from Gillingham who played for us too, Dave Shipperley and Dick Tydeman, would have towered above all of our starting XI as I doubt any of ours were much taller than 6' 0''