Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Re visited

Comments

• Options
    10.30am tomorrow , Nov 1974 Crystal Palace v Charlton 
  • Options
    My first away game.
    Paddy Powell boom.
  • Options
    Don’t put up the result.
  • Options
    What channel?
  • Options
    Will there be a match thread?
  • Options
    I do enjoy watching this. It reminds me of my youth, after Sunday dinner sitting down to watch The Big Match with my dad. Happy days.
  • Options
    What channel?

ITV4
  • Options
    Great memories of the Charlton v Palace return match at The Valley that 1974/75 season. A Friday night match, a great crowd, a winning goal from KIller and the Covered End reverberating throughout with “Allison, Allison, shut your mouth, Allison shut your mouth....”

I think the tool may have been interviewed on The Big Match after the game at Palace, although the memory may well be playing tricks on me. Will tune in to find out.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    One thing I've picked up from this thread ....... Max Wall got about a bit.
    And quite liked a drink. 
    No wonder he walked a bit funny
  • Options
    My first away game.
    Paddy Powell boom.
    Did we run 'em?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first away game.
    Paddy Powell boom.
    Did we run 'em?
    Yep
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Great memories of the Charlton v Palace return match at The Valley that 1974/75 season. A Friday night match, a great crowd, a winning goal from KIller and the Covered End reverberating throughout with “Allison, Allison, shut your mouth, Allison shut your mouth....”

I think the tool may have been interviewed on The Big Match after the game at Palace, although the memory may well be playing tricks on me. Will tune in to find out.
    Pretty sure that was my first night match. Crowd was over 20,000 IIRC
  • Options
    I went to the game. Big crowd. Kicked off in South Norwood after the game. 

Hated the result. I was at Ravens Wood school at the time and many of the boys came from the Beckenham area - all Nigels.

Still revenge was sweet. 
  • Options
    It was a well known fact at the time that Paddy didn’t have a left foot on him....and therefore the Palace defenders should show him inside.....watch and reap!
  • Options
    Arkwright said:
    It was a well known fact at the time that Paddy didn’t have a left foot on him....and therefore the Palace defenders should show him inside.....watch and reap!
    Shock, a Paddy that’s a left footer.
  • Options
    It was a shock for us at the game...Paddy pulled inside and let rip a cracker. Malcolm Allison had told his full back to draw Paddy inside because he didn't have a left foot. Wrong move. Shame about the result. 
  • Options
    It seems a long time ago, but terrific to see these games and the players many of us remember. 
  • Options
    It was a shock for us at the game...Paddy pulled inside and let rip a cracker. Malcolm Allison had told his full back to draw Paddy inside because he didn't have a left foot. Wrong move. Shame about the result. 
    Nelson had also told Powell not to shoot from distance prior to the game, and gave him a bollocking after for doing so. Class man manager.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Just watched it on catch up.

Thoroughly enjoyed it even though we lost 2-1. 

To be fair to Allison, Andy Nelson started the war of words by saying we would beat them at Selhurst. 

Comments on some of the players. 

Tutt didn't have a chance with either goal. Chatterton's effort would have been ruled out by VAR.

Curtis took good dead ball kicks. Cripps. What a competitor and an example of a right footed left back. He really proved to be an inspired signing in the third tier. I seem to recall that he was pushed into midfield later in the season.

Goldthorpe was better than my young memory. Why was Horsfield preferred at CB for much of the season? Young was effective as well.

In midfield Bowman showed what a great battler he was and Dunphy had good creative ability but seemed to be easily knocked off the ball. You couldn't play them together in the modern game because of the lack of height. 

Flanagan and especially Powell worked the wings brilliantly and Paddy's left footed goal was sublime. Hales and Horsfield also looked effective and unlucky not to score. 

On Palace I was impressed with ex Charlton keeper Tony Burns. He made a very good save early on. I remember Jim Cannon as a centre back, but he played as left back. Peter Taylor seemed to play as an inverted winger a leftie on the right. It was a battle royal with Cripps. 

I recommend anyone with catch up to watch.

Brian Moore is a very good presenter as well. 
  • Options
    I love watching theses old games it just looks a more relaxed experience Quick question to those of you who watched football in the mid 70s. Was it a happier time to watch football? Ie win or lose no big inquest there is always another game next week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love watching theses old games it just looks a more relaxed experience Quick question to those of you who watched football in the mid 70s. Was it a happier time to watch football? Ie win or lose no big inquest there is always another game next week?
    It was more about fighting the opposing teams fans than watching the football.
  • Options
    It was more about fighting the opposing teams fans than watching the football.

I’ve had a cosseted life could never imagine this, would be so afraid.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Just watched it on catch up.

Thoroughly enjoyed it even though we lost 2-1. 

To be fair to Allison, Andy Nelson started the war of words by saying we would beat them at Selhurst. 

Comments on some of the players. 

Tutt didn't have a chance with either goal. Chatterton's effort would have been ruled out by VAR.

Curtis took good dead ball kicks. Cripps. What a competitor and an example of a right footed left back. He really proved to be an inspired signing in the third tier. I seem to recall that he was pushed into midfield later in the season.

Goldthorpe was better than my young memory. Why was Horsfield preferred at CB for much of the season? Young was effective as well.

In midfield Bowman showed what a great battler he was and Dunphy had good creative ability but seemed to be easily knocked off the ball. You couldn't play them together in the modern game because of the lack of height. 

Flanagan and especially Powell worked the wings brilliantly and Paddy's left footed goal was sublime. Hales and Horsfield also looked effective and unlucky not to score. 

On Palace I was impressed with ex Charlton keeper Tony Burns. He made a very good save early on. I remember Jim Cannon as a centre back, but he played as left back. Peter Taylor seemed to play as an inverted winger a leftie on the right. It was a battle royal with Cripps. 

I recommend anyone with catch up to watch.

Brian Moore is a very good presenter as well. 
    Richard old boy.......why mention the result?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, there was a massive ruck every game involving all 10,000 to 15,000 spectators - men, women and kids. Nobody watched the football at all. For a start their hair was so long they couldnt see a thing.

*scratches chin.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Off_it said:
    Yeah, there was a massive ruck every game involving all 10,000 to 15,000 spectators - men, women and kids. Nobody watched the football at all. For a start their hair was so long they couldnt see a thing.

*scratches chin.
    Ha, we used to get about 5000 most games and you could go where you want.
    It started with the away fans trying to "take" the covered end and mostly they were repelled, apart from Spurs, Chelsea, Millwall, Pompey, Sheff W & Forest.

Then there were fights at half time behind the West Stand and as you could go where you want Charlton often went down the South end 2nd half and there was some fighting down there.

Against the likes of Pompey there were "fans" chasing each other along the east terrace as well.

After the game there was fighting up Floyd Road and into Charlton Church Lane.
    I remember big rucks even against the likes of Grimsby when the attendance was about 3800/4500.

Even rucks in friendly games against Arsenal.

Oh I forgot about the occasional rucks on the pitch against the likes of Cardiff before the fences went up.
  • Options
    I went to a small number of games as a child in the late 70s or early 80s, either standing on the East terrace or sitting in the old West Stand and have no recollection of any trouble
  • Options
    The whole of a Charlton v West Ham match currently being shown on SKYsports premier league channel,1-1 after 20 minutes.
  • Options
    I went to a small number of games as a child in the late 70s or early 80s, either standing on the East terrace or sitting in the old West Stand and have no recollection of any trouble
    If you were a young child then the chances are you was only interested in the game.

Back in the 70s and early 80s there was trouble at most games home and away. 
  • Options
    That was some midfield 3 Jensen, Kinsella and Parker
  • Options
    Loved the Big Match. Down the Guy,Earl of Warwick for the Sunday swill, then going home and hearing those lovely words " your dinner is burnt, it is in the oven". You had to chip it off the plate, tasted handsome!