Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Re visited

Comments

• Options
    Is that a Charlton player who scores a long ranger in the intro? Looks familiar.
  • Options
    I  had the same thought so I slow moed it but still couldn’t tell but like you it rings a bell.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Is that a Charlton player who scores a long ranger in the intro? Looks familiar.
    Dick Tydeman? I know he scored a long range at the Valley vs Hull because I was there and remember the commentary box that they'd erected in the east terrace. 

Edit: this one? 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V52IJqw-7IY

• Options
    edited January 2021
    _MrDick said:
    Watching the Ipswich vs Leicester from 1975, Worthington for Leicester scores a decent volley. The Ipswich fans applaud the goal. Has a tone applauded an away goal? Personally in 35 yrs I don’t think I’ve applauded an away goal. When did it all change?
    I applauded RVP’s goal for the Arse against us when we were in the PL. Amazing piece of skill  
    You mean when he shouldn't have even been on the pitch due to the ref bottling giving him a 2nd yellow.

I remember standing & applauding a lower League player scoring a belter against us in the cup in the 2000's. 30 yarder top corner at the JS stand end. 
  • Options
    LOff_it said:
    Dick Tydeman? I know he scored a long range at the Valley vs Hull because I was there and remember the commentary box that they'd erected in the east terrace. 

Edit: this one? 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V52IJqw-7IY

Not that one. Was at that game. It was an away game.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Derek Hales at Chesterfield?
  • Options
    I haven't seen it but if in black and white then Ray Crawford away at Millwall? 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Watching the Ipswich vs Leicester from 1975, Worthington for Leicester scores a decent volley. The Ipswich fans applaud the goal. Has a tone applauded an away goal? Personally in 35 yrs I don’t think I’ve applauded an away goal. When did it all change?
    I applauded RVP’s goal for the Arse against us when we were in the PL. Amazing piece of skill  
    You mean when he shouldn't have even been on the pitch due to the ref bottling giving him a 2nd yellow.

I remember standing & applauding a lower League player scoring a belter against us in the cup in the 2000's. 30 yarder top corner at the JS stand end. 
    Stoke knocking us out in 2000
  • Options
    Spurs vs Chelsea 1975 relegation battle (which would be great to see nowadays) Spurs winning 1 - 0 and the fans start singing you’ll vexer walk alone. Feels wrong to hear anyone other than Liverpool fans singing it. Any posters know if we have sung it? 
  • Options
    Spurs vs Chelsea 1975 relegation battle (which would be great to see nowadays) Spurs winning 1 - 0 and the fans start singing you’ll vexer walk alone. Feels wrong to hear anyone other than Liverpool fans singing it. Any posters know if we have sung it? 
    Definitely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, we sang it quicker as you would expect, with clapping as well.

With hope (clap clap) in your hearts (clap clap) etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Enjoyed the Spurs / Chelsea 1975 vintage more than the other night's offering. I watched it without checking the result. 

Future Addicks Chris Jones and Terry Naylor featured for Tottenham whilst the Blues had John Phillips in goal. 

Interestingly Naylor plays as a midfield enforcer rather than full back. Jones has an assist for the first goal and looked effective. Phillips is not at fault for either goal and made a couple of excellent saves. 

Colin Powell's goal against Palace was in the top five entries for goal of the season. 

I enjoyed the interview with Alec Stock ( a former Addick Youth player who never made a first team appearance) speaking about Fulham's 1975 FA Cup Final preparations. 
  • Options
    pretty much everyone used to sing 'Walk Alone' when I first started going to football in the late 70's I would be taken to Charlton/Arsenal/Spurs/Luton/Watford and Millwall depending on who had the most attractive home fixture and heard it at all those grounds, it seems strange looking back on it now as its so deeply associated with Liverpool & Celtic.  
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    _MrDick said:

Definitely not Stoke. Lower league club as in League 1 or 2.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    SE7toSG3 said:
    pretty much everyone used to sing 'Walk Alone' when I first started going to football in the late 70's I would be taken to Charlton/Arsenal/Spurs/Luton/Watford and Millwall depending on who had the most attractive home fixture and heard it at all those grounds, it seems strange looking back on it now as its so deeply associated with Liverpool & Celtic.  
    That's true, I had forgotten. I suppose it revolved around Gerry and the Pacemakers being a Mersey based group. Although it was written for the musical Carousel and I think Elvis even had a version. 

There might be an element of of the Heysel tragedy giving the song a greater meaning for Liverpool too. Ultimately, it has probably always meant more to Liverpool than any other team. When you see the players facing the Kop as they sing it, it is undeniably special. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    _MrDick said:

Stoke were a League One team in 2000
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I also enjoyed the interview with Alec Stock ( a former Addick Youth player who never made a first team appearance) speaking about Fulham's 1975 FA Cup Final preparations. 
    The man on whom comedian Paul Whitehouse mainly based his Ron Manager character
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    One thing I have noticed overall is that when players are interviewed they seem, on average, more camera shy and inarticulate, than players are today. 

Maybe it is social media. Players are probably interviewed much more nowadays.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    _MrDick said:

Stoke were a League One team in 2000
    We won 4-3 at home after losing 2-1 in the away leg. Lost on pens after ET.
  • Options
    One thing I have noticed overall is that when players are interviewed they seem, on average, more camera shy and inarticulate, than players are today. 

Always fascinated by this. Media training will have a lot to do with professionalism and perhaps television was still "newish" then and so there wasn't a natural expectation around how to act. That aside, and without offence, many of the players interviewed then just don't seem as intelligent or eloquent as now. Was it the remnants of class consciousness ("know you place") or were educational outcomes not as great as we are led to believe ("in my day education was much harder than now")?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Always fascinated by this. Media training will have a lot to do with professionalism and perhaps television was still "newish" then and so there wasn't a natural expectation around how to act. That aside, and without offence, many of the players interviewed then just don't seem as intelligent or eloquent as now. Was it the remnants of class consciousness ("know you place") or were educational outcomes not as great as we are led to believe ("in my day education was much harder than now")?
    So true regarding post match interviews most of them softly spoken, personally I prefer them back then. Far more gentile. Funny enough I’m from west London and Steve Perryman had 2 or 3 sports shops for maybe 20-30 years, Always bought my boots and trainers from there.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    _MrDick said:

As @f@ForeverAddickted points out Stoke were League 1.  I'm certain it was one of the Icelandic players they had at the time as there were owned by an Icelandic consortium who installed their own manager when taking over.
  • Options
    Just watched the game against palace again and the 3 brilliant goals against Hull via Hales in 76.
    I did not start going to Charlton until we played Spurs in 77 and watching the Hull game brought great memories of the covered end and the clock part where I use to stand.
  • Options

So true regarding post match interviews most of them softly spoken, personally I prefer them back then. Far more gentile. Funny enough I’m from west London and Steve Perryman had 2 or 3 sports shops for maybe 20-30 years, Always bought my boots and trainers from there.
    Steve Perryman's Sports at the top of Greenford Broadway. I bought a set of darts there once.

He lived in Ickenham, on Long Lane and i saw him once on the station just before Xmas looking very smart in an expensive suit. It was a midweek morning and I suspect he was going on the piss! 

His brother Bill, helped run the sports shops and was also heavily involved in Yeadon FC. Nice bloke.

Steve Perryman went to Elliott's Green School  which later became Northolt High School....which is where I went. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Steve Perryman's Sports at the top of Greenford Broadway. I bought a set of darts there once.

He lived in Ickenham, on Long Lane and i saw him once on the station just before Xmas looking very smart in an expensive suit. It was a midweek morning and I suspect he was going on the piss! 

His brother Bill, helped run the sports shops and was also heavily involved in Yeadon FC. Nice bloke.

Steve Perryman went to Elliott's Green School  which later became Northolt High School....which is where I went. 
    I believe he then went to live in Norway and had a successful sporting events travel agency.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Yep indeed I was from Hayes where he had another shop not sure where the third one was (If there was a third one). Didn’t know he lived off long lane in ickenham, My sister lived off one of the roads but on the scruffier side of long lane. Interesting you say the connection with Yeading, Maybe explains during the 80s Ray Clemence was down there doing a coaching session with us kids.
  • Options
    Good game to watch today Chelsea vs Charlton from 1979. Does anyone have any recollections of being there? How likeable were the team?
  • Options
    Good game to watch today Chelsea vs Charlton from 1979. Does anyone have any recollections of being there? How likeable were the team?
    If Lawrie Madden’s toe punt had gone in, we’d have probably won that game. The penalties looked iffy too ! As for the team, I don’t remember Richard Wilson (except in One Foot In The Grave!) and Steve Gritt’s hair ?!
    We were awful that season and were relegated to Division 3 but bounced straight back up with most of the same team that went down.
    Got hammered 6-0 in the Cup at Wrexham too.

• Options
    If Lawrie Madden’s toe punt had gone in, we’d have probably won that game. The penalties looked iffy too ! As for the team, I don’t remember Richard Wilson (except in One Foot In The Grave!) and Steve Gritt’s hair ?!
    We were awful that season and were relegated to Division 3 but bounced straight back up with most of the same team that went down.

I was walking home from school with a couple of mates in the early 80’s and a guy was practicing golf in The Hollies, before the houses were built. We were joking about shouting out rubbish etc when he swung and he asked us if we’d like to try and do better. I could play a bit and took a reasonable shot and we got talking to him. He said that a couple of kids shouting wouldn’t put him off and that he’d played at Old Trafford for Chelsea in the FA Cup. My mate was a Chelsea fan and asked his name. When he said Richard Wilson, I remembered he’d played for us a couple of years earlier and we ended up having a chat. Was a really nice guy.
  • Options

I was walking home from school with a couple of mates in the early 80’s and a guy was practicing golf in The Hollies, before the houses were built. We were joking about shouting out rubbish etc when he swung and he asked us if we’d like to try and do better. I could play a bit and took a reasonable shot and we got talking to him. He said that a couple of kids shouting wouldn’t put him off and that he’d played at Old Trafford for Chelsea in the FA Cup. My mate was a Chelsea fan and asked his name. When he said Richard Wilson, I remembered he’d played for us a couple of years earlier and we ended up having a chat. Was a really nice guy.
    I honestly can’t remember him. There again, that season was largely forgettable tbh !