Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Match Re visited

Comments

• Options
    I went to a small number of games as a child in the late 70s or early 80s, either standing on the East terrace or sitting in the old West Stand and have no recollection of any trouble
    As a child at The Valley in the early eighties I spent a lot of my time counting the number of spectators when I got bored with the match. People did move around a lot and lots of skirmishes broke out in The Covered End. I don't know how they expected the attendance figures to be accurate.
  • Options
    I went to a small number of games as a child in the late 70s or early 80s, either standing on the East terrace or sitting in the old West Stand and have no recollection of any trouble
    If you were a young child then the chances are you was only interested in the game.

Back in the 70s and early 80s there was trouble at most games home and away. 
    But the trouble didn't impact on me, it wasn't as if it was everywhere in the ground. Even now it's a different viewing experience and atmosphere in the side stands at most ground when compared to the home and away "ends"
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    As a child at The Valley in the early eighties I spent a lot of my time counting the number of spectators when I got bored with the match. People did move around a lot and lots of skirmishes broke out in The Covered End. I don't know how they expected the attendance figures to be accurate.
    The hooliganism at Charlton peaked April 1977 when Charlton beat Chelsea 4-0.
    Chelsea had the Covered End and they set multiple fires in there and also they set fires in the south end.
    They demolished some of the turnstiles in Harvey Gardens and smashed up The Valley club.

I think seats were put in @1980 and that reduced a lot of the trouble.
  • Options
    Does everyone just moan more now and therefore the perception is that it’s not a happy experience as it was or could be.

When I started watching in late 80s and 90s there would only be 1 or 2 people Who’d be moaning and you’d know it was the same person each week and you’d laugh about it, but I loved it and I’d pray every night before a match for us to win I’d dream about Charlton on a regular basis amd we weren’t that good.

Maybe my memory is failing me as I get older and I’m longing for something that wasn’t as true as I think it was.

Any psychologists out there let me know!
  • Options
    I think when football became a "product" at £30+ a pop was when people started expecting more from it - and therefore a lot more moaning.

When you're paying £3 you're less bothered abut the "product".
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I think when football became a "product" at £30+ a pop was when people started expecting more from it - and therefore a lot more moaning.

Funnily enough i was showing my daughter today the old ticket Stubbs and first game of the season at selhurst 1989 vs derby, 3 pounds for the Arthur Waite as a concession. That was a shocking game 0-0 I think.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I think that's fair comment but in the 70s you could have seen us beat 6-0 and 6-1 in the matter of three weeks. We will never ever witness that again as that isn't the way football is played nowadays. Let's face it, it's a rarity to get 6 shots on target let alone to score from them. We're not unique in this respect - it's just that coaching has evolved to the extent that the focus is on stopping the opposition from playing and if and when you do get in front to protect that lead.
  • Options
    Today's programme (ITV4) one of the best so far (excluding ones with us in). FA Cup fourth round 1975 and a "flashback" to 1970. Great crowds, surges on terraces, shocking pitches, and great football, including non league Wimbledon at Leeds. A great reminder of how football used to be (not better or worse than today - just very different). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to the replay of that game at Selhurst Park Giles freekick giving Leeds a win that night.

Wimbledons biggest attendance at that ground 48,000.

Great game.
  • Options
    What I have noticed that I can compare with today was how the better players stand out more. There were quite a lot of bang average players playing. It was less obvious at the time. A decent League One team of today would win the League if transported back to the 70s IMO. I do enjoy the nostalgia though.
  • Options
    What I have noticed that I can compare with today was how the better players stand out more. There were quite a lot of bang average players playing. It was less obvious at the time. A decent League One team of today would win the League if transported back to the 70s IMO. I do enjoy the nostalgia though.
    All relative, Liverpool dominated European football in the 70's and 80's.  Today they'd be mid table.
  • Options
    Watching the Ipswich vs Leicester from 1975, Worthington for Leicester scores a decent volley. The Ipswich fans applaud the goal. Has a tone applauded an away goal? Personally in 35 yrs I don’t think I’ve applauded an away goal. When did it all change?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Man City fans applauded Robert Lee's nondescript effort at Maine Road in 1985. They felt sorry for us and were no doubt very grateful, that we put out a team with 3 kids when they needed to win for promotion. Basically we just handed it to them. Bet they wouldn't have applauded if we had won 1-0. 
  • Options
    I think we have once or twice. The one where Giggs hit the bar from the halfway line and I think OGS tapped it in. There was a delay and we got to our feet and started clapping. Yann got applauded for his goals for Reading against us, but that was a bit different. I recall a few times when we have applauded great play by an opponent. 
  • Options
    Watching the Ipswich vs Leicester from 1975, Worthington for Leicester scores a decent volley. The Ipswich fans applaud the goal. Has a tone applauded an away goal? Personally in 35 yrs I don’t think I’ve applauded an away goal. When did it all change?
    I’ve done it a few times, nothing wrong with acknowledging a great goal (unless it’s Palace)

Morts got a great reaction by Everton fans when he scored a blinder up there in the 80’s.
  • Options
    Remember doing it when a Pompey player scored a great volley against us a few years back and Thierry Henrys free kick against us around the same era. Sometimes you just have to accept a great piece of football
  • Options
    Kermorgant when he came  back with Reading.
  • Options
    I’ve done it a few times, nothing wrong with acknowledging a great goal (unless it’s Palace)

Morts got a great reaction by Everton fans when he scored a blinder up there in the 80’s.
    There was a highlight vid on a thread years back. Can see me and a few others leaping about when our second goes in. We stood on the daft shallow terrace behind the goal. Were drinking in some pub in Prescot for some reason I can't remember and ended up arriving on the whistle having dumped the car somewhere in a rush. Mort's and Nevin's footwork on shite pitches were quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I applauded Kermorgant's goals against us (very good goals) as did a lot of others, although a lot of Douchebag supporters around me weren't happy.
  • Options
    I think we have once or twice. The one where Giggs hit the bar from the halfway line and I think OGS tapped it in. There was a delay and we got to our feet and started clapping. Yann got applauded for his goals for Reading against us, but that was a bit different. I recall a few times when we have applauded great play by an opponent. 
    In fairness, the OGS (I couldn't spell it either) finish wasn't just a tap in - still had to volley and beat the keeper. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEbIn_erzE
  • Options
    The Giggs volley was in my opinion, the best football skill I've ever seen live.
  • Options
    I applauded RVP’s goal for the Arse against us when we were in the PL. Amazing piece of skill  
  • Options
    I think we have once or twice. The one where Giggs hit the bar from the halfway line and I think OGS tapped it in. There was a delay and we got to our feet and started clapping. Yann got applauded for his goals for Reading against us, but that was a bit different. I recall a few times when we have applauded great play by an 
    I remember the Giggs shot, probably the most extraordinary goal I’ve seen at the valley. Think I was too shocked to applaud.
  • Options
    What I remember most about the Giggs goal was sitting half way up the covered end how loud the thud of the ball against the bar was, as the crowd were quietened by his brilliant offer.
  • Options
    Remember doing it when a Pompey player scored a great volley against us a few years back and Thierry Henrys free kick against us around the same era. Sometimes you just have to accept a great piece of football
    Berger, that was a great goal.

Don't think I applauded but did sit there thinking bloody hell that was a great goal.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I applauded RVP’s goal for the Arse against us when we were in the PL. Amazing piece of skill  
    Shinned it.

*sits back and opens popcorn*
  • Options
    The Giggs volley was in my opinion, the best football skill I've ever seen live.
    I remember in the East Stand toilets at half time, some idiot was announcing to us all in there how jammy that goal was and no wonder United win everything when they get lucky like that all the time!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I remember in the East Stand toilets at half time, some idiot was announcing to us all in there how jammy that goal was and no wonder United win everything when they get lucky like that all the time!
    Sorry mate, I have to agree with the fella........
    I prefer Giggs' goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi at Villa Park.