Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Craptain Cretin's cowardice now coming home to roost.
    Wasted 40 odd minutes Sunday morning, not bowling Broad n Anderson when Archer and Woakes were making no headway.  That bit of his "plan" worked fine as the opportunity for the follow on was thrown away as he chickened out of making that decision.  B & A then wrap up the WI 1st innings in short order but the time was taken out of the game with no play Monday ever going to be possible.  Monday's weather is the ready made craven bullshit piss weak excuse on a plate, if WI and the weather add up to a drawn match and lost series.
    Now on Tuesday the weather's wetter and worse than might have been expected and the moronically squandered time on Sunday effectively counts double.
    I'm not forgetting that this is a moderate WI batting lineup and 8 wickets needn't take very long, especially if one or more bowlers hit a hot streak.
    Intelligent, confident, brave captaincy should have been focused on getting the match won at the earliest opportunity, so as to leave the minimum to chance and to the vagaries of the Manchester weather.  Old Trafford remains the English county ground that loses most days' play of all.
    If Root's brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to steam up his sponsored shades, let alone blow the cap off his bonce. 

Have some of that Thunder me old cock, Root captain 2 from 2
  • edited July 2020
    Magnificent to see an England captain picking up a trophy, especially as, this time, it's for keeps. 

Root got everything right in this series.  Decisions, batting order, bowler rotation.  And he becomes only the second person to come in to captain an England team behind in a series and go on to win it.  

Only an idiot would find fault in England's performance in this match and Root's impact on the series. 
  • Chizz said:
    Congratulations to Stuart Broad. Getting Brathwaite out to move to 500 wickets in Tests is as remarkable as it is rare.  You have to be a pretty special bowler to do that. 
    Braithwaite was also Anderson's 500th victim, I am assured.
  • The cricket rolls on, ODIs vs Ireland on Thursday and Saturday, then the 1st Test vs Pakistan next Wednesday!

A tough choice for England as to which bowlers to pick. 
  • I think Mr.Thundercock tries to post in a light hearted and funny way.
    Not sure he deserves any abuse tbh.
    I find his way of posting quite amusing. 
  • I think Mr.Thundercock tries to post in a light hearted and funny way.
    Not sure he deserves any abuse tbh.
    I find his way of posting quite amusing. 
    If it is an attempt at humour, all good comedians change their material from time to time
  • Chizz said:
    Congratulations to Stuart Broad. Getting Brathwaite out to move to 500 wickets in Tests is as remarkable as it is rare.  You have to be a pretty special bowler to do that. 
    Braithwaite was also Anderson's 500th victim, I am assured.
    Yes.  That was really the point of the post. 
  • lolwray said:
    In the end it was very easy for England Windies didn't have the advantage of rotating their bowlers and putting in Cornwall ahead of a pace bowler seemed a mistake. 

England played a good match though and were the better team. Lots of positives. 

Windies must learn to stay in once they have got in .the batsmen seem to lack concentration and application, probably indicates the game they have brought up in 

Utter respect for the Windies for turning up in a time of turmoil and making it a good series it's been a pleasure to watch 
    If anything they should have played Cornwall in the last test, to rest one of the quicks (e.g. Gabriel). And batted first in this match

Looking at the stats though, their top 6 isn't very good, and England's bowlers are world class at home, so a 2-1 defeat is a decent performance 
  • lolwray said:
    In the end it was very easy for England Windies didn't have the advantage of rotating their bowlers and putting in Cornwall ahead of a pace bowler seemed a mistake. 

England played a good match though and were the better team. Lots of positives. 

Windies must learn to stay in once they have got in .the batsmen seem to lack concentration and application, probably indicates the game they have brought up in 

Utter respect for the Windies for turning up in a time of turmoil and making it a good series it's been a pleasure to watch 
    If anything they should have played Cornwall in the last test, to rest one of the quicks (e.g. Gabriel). And batted first in this match

Looking at the stats though, their top 6 isn't very good, and England's bowlers are world class at home, so a 2-1 defeat is a decent performance 
    Lots of good reasons for playing Cornwall.  But not for playing Cornwall and choosing to bowl first.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Magnificent to see an England captain picking up a trophy, especially as, this time, it's for keeps. 

Root got everything right in this series.  Decisions, batting order, bowler rotation.  And he becomes only the second person to come in to captain an England team behind in a series and go on to win it.  

Only an idiot would find fault in England's performance in this match and Root's impact on the series. 
    I'm agreeing with Chizz. Shows how moronic stighundercretins post must have been.
  • edited July 2020
    Stig has a wonderful turn of phrase...  off his rocker of course  but who ain't on here?

Well played England by the way, it's great cricket is back and we are winning!
  • Overall the series has to be considered a success for lockdown cricket, no positive Covid Tests amongst anyone associated with the series, whether players, support staff, media or people working at the grounds.
  • The cricket rolls on, ODIs vs Ireland on Thursday, Saturday and Tuesday then the 1st Test vs Pakistan next Wednesday!

A tough choice for England as to which bowlers to pick. 

• After a poor first Test, England have done a good job showing their superiority over a weaker but improving side.
  • Credit the West Indies for coming over. At least we got some test cricket. But not sure England can be too jubilant about winning this. 
  • Loads of positives - sibley and burns looking like a great opening pair, broad and jimmy have still got it, woakes is great in English conditions. Big drawback - number 3 is once again a problem position. Should’ve kept Crawley in, if anything to get him used to playing 3 in test cricket. Another drawback - we’re still reliant on jimmy and broad. 
  • Loads of positives - sibley and burns looking like a great opening pair, broad and jimmy have still got it, woakes is great in English conditions. Big drawback - number 3 is once again a problem position. Should’ve kept Crawley in, if anything to get him used to playing 3 in test cricket. Another drawback - we’re still reliant on jimmy and broad. 

I think when Stokes is fit to bowl again, Crawley will come back in, I think he deserves a run in the team, it will mean dropping or rotating one of the seam bowlers again, at the moment Archer looks the one who might be rested for the first test, if Stokes is fit.
  • I think the eternal dilemma with archer will be how to use him. It seems to me that he just running up to the wicket bowling short or length but with no thought about what he wants to do with the ball (does he want seam or swing movement for instance) .If he is going to be used as a real quickie (which I think should be his role in test cricket) shorter spells and foot on the gas from the off ..

Agree Crawley in for archer or consider giving Anderson a rest 
  • It's pointless picking bowlers in home Tests to prepare for Australia in a year and a half unless the conditions match those in Australia as well, with flat bouncy pitches and little lateral movement
  • Sponsored links:

• It's pointless picking bowlers in home Tests to prepare for Australia in a year and a half unless the conditions match those in Australia as well, with flat bouncy pitches and little lateral movement
    Quick bowlers like archer and wood are needed for oz, and hit the deck hard bowlers like tremlett and Finn did well there. I’d say Ollie Robinson and Craig Overton are probably what the selectors see as their successors. 
    Quick bowlers like archer and wood are needed for oz, and hit the deck hard bowlers like tremlett and Finn did well there. I’d say Ollie Robinson and Craig Overton are probably what the selectors see as their successors. 
    They are, but in the most recent Test conditions meant that Woakes was far more dangerous than Archer

As long as we have the Duke ball and our pitches/overheads it's really difficult to prepare for down under.
  • Quite incredible to think that England will have two bowlers, playing at the same time, who will have ended up with more than 1,100 Test wickets between them  - and for 13 years at that. Will leave a massive hole when they depart in the course of the next couple of years.
    Just seen a stat that, when playing in the same side, Anderson and Broad have picked up 895 wickets in 117 Tests between them, the most by a fast-bowling pair in the history of Test cricket, The next best is Ambrose and Walsh with 762 in 95 Tests.

Only McGrath and Warne with 1,001 in 104 Tests beat Anderson and Broad as a bowling pair. 
  • edited July 2020
    England: Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow (wk), James Vince, Eoin Morgan (capt), Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Moeen Ali, David Willey, Adil Rashid, Tom Curran, Saqib Mahmood.
    Ireland: Andrew Balbirnie (capt), Paul Stirling, Gareth Delany, Harry Tector, Kevin O'Brien, Lorcan Tucker (wk), Simi Singh, Curtis Campher, Andy McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Craig Young.

Bizarre that Billings never keeps wicket when he plays for England, considering he's a better keeper than both Bairstow and Buttler
  • Men against boys this... Ireland 28-5
  • Morgan, in electing to bowl, not thinking about all those that have paid good money for tickets and to see England bat.
  • Ireland are playing like it is a test match...
  • Morgan, in electing to bowl, not thinking about all those that have paid good money for tickets and to see England bat.
    Someone will be along soon to explain how that's all Root's fault...
  • Will they reverse the order in the beer match? 
  • Very good innings from Sam Billings.