Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Windies 197 all out.. England have a lead of 172. Revising my thoughts of previous post. A lead of 350-380 should be enough & all depends on the weather tomorrow. Probably have around 70 overs left today but will lose 4 (2 lots of change of innings) so should bat for 50/55 overs before declaring. Should be able to get 200 in that time if Stokes & Butler can come in after tea after a good base has been laid. Over to the top 3........
  • Options
    Windies 197 all out.. England have a lead of 172. Revising my thoughts of previous post. A lead of 350-380 should be enough & all depends on the weather tomorrow. Probably have around 70 overs left today but will lose 4 (2 lots of change of innings) so should bat for 50/55 overs before declaring. Should be able to get 200 in that time if Stokes & Butler can come in after tea after a good base has been laid. Over to the top 3........
    It's a ridiculous anachronism that you lose two overs for the change of innings, especially as it depends on what time you declare.  Declaring during a break or overnight avoids losing those overs, as does being nine down at lunch or tea. 
  • Options
    When Stuart Broad was a young upstarts I thought with his DNA he would be an all rounder; as he has sometimes batted at 11 when Jimmy is not playing, that never came to fruition.
    But when Broad is hot and I thing being dropped for the first test has given him fresh motivation, he can not only be on the money with his bowling but with the help of the opposition bowlers, a destructive batsman. Great to see Stuart still has the hunger.

Whether we win is down to the weather.
  • Options
    Jimmy made his debut in 2003, in that team was Alec Stewart. Stewart made his debut in 1990 alongside Graham Gooch, whose Test debut was in 1975. So that's 3 players covering 45 years of cricket
  • Options
    My biggest gripe with cricket and cricketers is how they haven't caught up with the fact that weather forecasts in this century are pretty accurate and need to be factored into tactics. 
  • Options
    England not exactly batting like a team expecting to declare later today
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I’m a long way from being a cricket expert but with the weather forecast and a hundred and seventy odd lead, why aren’t England batting like this a 20/20?  Stokes and Butler in first and chuck the bat at everything. Swift 150 and declare. Bobs yer uncle. As I say, I’m a long way......
  • Options
    I’m a long way from being a cricket expert but with the weather forecast and a hundred and seventy odd lead, why aren’t England batting like this a 20/20?  Stokes and Butler in first and chuck the bat at everything. Swift 150 and declare. Bobs yer uncle. As I say, I’m a long way......
    You don't even need T20 style batting, just busy 4 to 5 runs an over batting, leaving the T20 slogging until say 4:30
  • Options
    I agree they need to be more busy. But Windies have got Sibley worked out here. They've cut off his scoring area and he cant rotate the strike. Burns is getting the singles. Sibley is trying but cant get it through the field. Getting bogged down here 
  • Options
    With Stokes, Butler & Pope all due in next there is no reason why things can't be stepped up now. An hour of those 3 should be able to get another 80 - 100 runs. Lead is already at 294.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I reckon tomorrow will be a wash out......or at least no play until after tea.

Never know how long you'll need or how many. Also would be good to get 30 mins at them this evening.......and bad light has been forcing them off around 6pm on the last 2 days.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    One down - Campbell edges Broad to slip

Kemar Roach in as the night watchman. Did you know Kemar’s nan is Indian?
  • Options
    Broad has been superb this match, hostile as well
  • Options
    Will Broad get his 500th tonight?
  • Options
    Another brief shower of rain...
  • Options
    Craptain Cretin's cowardice now coming home to roost.
    Wasted 40 odd minutes Sunday morning, not bowling Broad n Anderson when Archer and Woakes were making no headway.  That bit of his "plan" worked fine as the opportunity for the follow on was thrown away as he chickened out of making that decision.  B & A then wrap up the WI 1st innings in short order but the time was taken out of the game with no play Monday ever going to be possible.  Monday's weather is the ready made craven bullshit piss weak excuse on a plate, if WI and the weather add up to a drawn match and lost series.
    Now on Tuesday the weather's wetter and worse than might have been expected and the moronically squandered time on Sunday effectively counts double.
    I'm not forgetting that this is a moderate WI batting lineup and 8 wickets needn't take very long, especially if one or more bowlers hit a hot streak.
    Intelligent, confident, brave captaincy should have been focused on getting the match won at the earliest opportunity, so as to leave the minimum to chance and to the vagaries of the Manchester weather.  Old Trafford remains the English county ground that loses most days' play of all.
    If Root's brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to steam up his sponsored shades, let alone blow the cap off his bonce. 
  • Options
    Quite incredible to think that England will have two bowlers, playing at the same time, who will have ended up with more than 1,100 Test wickets between them  - and for 13 years at that. Will leave a massive hole when they depart in the course of the next couple of years.
  • Options
    Quite incredible to think that England will have two bowlers, playing at the same time, who will have ended up with more than 1,100 Test wickets between them  - and for 13 years at that. Will leave a massive hole when they depart in the course of the next couple of years.
    We've got a bit more depth, but it's quite similar Windies 20 years ago when they had 2 world class bowlers who went on forever but retired at roughly the same time

Especially as Anderson and Broad have got better with age
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've got a bit more depth, but it's quite similar Windies 20 years ago when they had 2 world class bowlers who went on forever but retired at roughly the same time

Agreed regarding the depth but the biggest factor with Broad and Anderson over the course of their stint together was how few times they were injured. Wood and Archer haven't been so lucky and may not in the future whereas neither of the Currans are true opening Test bowlers.
  • Options
    Wasted 40 odd minutes Sunday morning, not bowling Broad n Anderson when Archer and Woakes were making no headway.  That bit of his "plan" worked fine as the opportunity for the follow on was thrown away as he chickened out of making that decision.  B & A then wrap up the WI 1st innings in short order but the time was taken out of the game with no play Monday ever going to be possible.  Monday's weather is the ready made craven bullshit piss weak excuse on a plate, if WI and the weather add up to a drawn match and lost series.
    Now on Tuesday the weather's wetter and worse than might have been expected and the moronically squandered time on Sunday effectively counts double.
    I'm not forgetting that this is a moderate WI batting lineup and 8 wickets needn't take very long, especially if one or more bowlers hit a hot streak.
    Intelligent, confident, brave captaincy should have been focused on getting the match won at the earliest opportunity, so as to leave the minimum to chance and to the vagaries of the Manchester weather.  Old Trafford remains the English county ground that loses most days' play of all.
    If Root's brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to steam up his sponsored shades, let alone blow the cap off his bonce. 
    I’m with @Chizz. 83-5 isn’t a bad place to be for an Englishman right now.

you are having a pop at root for not giving the English bowlers time despite by your own admission that today’s weather is wetter and worse than might have been expected.

Please stop being stigThundercretin and get back to posting reasonable and worthwhile posts!

• Options

you are having a pop at root for not giving the English bowlers time despite by your own admission that today’s weather is wetter and worse than might have been expected.

Please stop being stigThundercretin and get back to posting reasonable and worthwhile posts!

Or even just explain how a drawn match will result in a lost series..?
  • Options

Agreed regarding the depth but the biggest factor with Broad and Anderson over the course of their stint together was how few times they were injured. Wood and Archer haven't been so lucky and may not in the future whereas neither of the Currans are true opening Test bowlers.
    They're both incredible athletes, and massively helped by the way they can concentrate on Test cricket only
  • Options
    I Think they will remain 1 and 2 for ever. Squad rotation will be the new normal and bowlers will have a shelf life of around 200 -300 wickets
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Or even just explain how a drawn match will result in a lost series..?
    presume he means windies retain the trophy
  • Options
    Nice 5fer for Woakes

Another bowler who didn't play in the 1st Test defeat
  • Options
    Archers main weapon is his pace. Not sure why he isn't using it.
  • Options
    All over, 10fer for Broad