Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netflix

Comments

• Options
    Others i have watched recently:
    David A , A Life on our Planet 7/10, I felt it was very good but also couldn't get past the fact he is preaching about the Global warming and how its down to us humans which is right but he has travelled millions of miles his whole life so i felt knowing that was a bit of a slight peeve. Really interesting and quite and eye opener, i haven't really watched any of his stuff before so not sure whether to go through or just leave it there. I am not an instant fan, but he comes across very knowledgeable and presents well enough. 
    Babysitters guide to monsters Hunting 7/10, Really didn't know what to expect here, random pick and felt it was good. It was probably for the younger audience, but i liked it. Nothing amazing but easy to watch. 
    Rampage 6/10, Might be lower as i wasn't really paying that much attention, was ok nothing new. Just felt like a Glorified King Kong, typical The Rock(Duane Johnson) film, not terrible and if you like that sort of stuff. 
  • Options
    Anyone watched Super8?

Heard it had very Stranger Things vibes (a few years earlier).
    Super 8 is JJ Abrams doing Steven Spielberg, with Stranger Things taking that idea and running with it. 

If ever you've wondered what makes something Spielbergian, Super 8 is a good place to start. Every camera move, every theme in the story, the look of wonder - it's all there. 

Here's a good example - when Spielberg shoots two people or one person and a thing, he doesn't like cutting between two shots, and tries to find a way to show both without cutting. Usually with a mirror, or by swinging the camera around. JJ Abrams does this too, with every bloody shot of Super 8! You can see a bit of it in this video -

• Options
    Been re-watching "Life on Mars" on Netflix. Then suddenly - it's not there. Thank heavens for VPN and BBC iPlayer, at least they tell you when a series is being withdrawn from broadcasting.

Also watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix last night. Fuck me that's a miserable film. We have real life if we want shit things to happen, Ethan and Joel...    
    Rewatched it recently too, great show.

Cheers for the heads up, will make sure I crack on with Ashes to Ashes (even better in my opinion but I prefer 80s music etc to 70s) before it disappears too.
  • Options
    Just watched all 4 episodes of a little gem we missed on Channel 4 some years ago.

Based on the debut novel by award winning  Zadie  Smith, and entitled White Teeth,  the mini series was adapted for television in 2002.

Described as a comedy drama and starring Phil Davis, Om Puri, Naomie Harris among other well known actors it held our attention for the full 4 hours after which we agreed it was a serendipitous find.

Please take a look and sit back to be thoroughly entertained.
  • Options
    Guys you lot are lucky sarrfff is not here to tell you off, he specifically asked for a list of 10 or 20. NETFLIX ONLY, please stay on quota

PS- Cant believe he got banned, started off so well here :smiley:
    May I ask why he got banned ?
    Lots of indiscretions but final score was private messaging me to call me a c***. 

Was a long term poster (10yrs) who’d opened a secondary account to be a bit more edgy with. Both accounts now banned and poster not welcome back. 

All very needless. Fortunately these instances are rare on here. 
    Hmmmm, given me 💡 be warned @AFKABartram 😹
  • Options
    I’m not that enamoured with Netflix, once you’ve watched the main attractions of which there are few, the rest is dross.

Having said that, did enjoy and would recommend 

The Social Dilemma
    Bending the Arc
  • Options
    Watching Loudermilk on Amazon, hopefully that doesn't enrage Saarf from afaar.  Quirky cranky throwaway TV.
  • Options
    I’m not that enamoured with Netflix, once you’ve watched the main attractions of which there are few, the rest is dross.

The Social Dilemma
    Bending the Arc
    I think its decent, but not really as good as the hype. I have found lots on there and still find some, but other times i cant really find anything or i see things popping up on 'New' which have been on there for months. 

I take it for what it is, you get a few hidden gems. Alot of stuff that is popular/re runs. Just as many if not more dross than hidden gems IMO.  I still recommend it to anyone though as it gives you the option to watch a wide range of genre and there are some of my fave series on there. 
  • Options
    I’m quite new to Netflix and the first few progs/films that were recommended were very good. But over the last few days it’s been dross. 
    I did enjoy “A Private War” and “A United Kingdom” but last nights film
    “Inheritance” I had to abort. 
    “White Teeth” has been on my radar so thanks for your recommendation @Fanny Fanackapan
  • Options
    I watched the first episode about the girl and chess playing last night
    Which I enjoyed. 
    Look forward to more during the forthcoming lockdown.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I watched the first episode about the girl and chess playing last night
    Which I enjoyed. 
    Look forward to more during the forthcoming lockdown.

I enjoyed the first episode too. The book on which its based is fantastic as well (by Walter Tevis who also wrote the Hustler and the Color of Money)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m quite new to Netflix and the first few progs/films that were recommended were very good. But over the last few days it’s been dross. 
    I did enjoy “A Private War” and “A United Kingdom” but last nights film
    Inheritance” I had to abort. 
    “White Teeth” has been on my radar so thanks for your recommendation @Fanny Fanackapan
    Agree it was ridiculous. The expert 2 year old (irony, I think) lawyer but typical of me, had to watch it to the end, just to be more pissed off that I’d bothered!

I did though, think seeing Simon Pegg as a very different character to the usual was quite interesting.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Monaca (Mexican/Cartel)
    Occupied (Russian occupation of Norway)
    Nobel
  • Options
    cafcdog said:
    Recommend the Dig starring Ralph Fiennes. Very good
    Watched it last night, one of the best films I have ever seen. 

Noticed that Netflix are now warning viewers when a show/film is coming to the end of it's run, nice that they are listening. Looking forward to seeing what the promised benefits are with the price increase.   
  • Options
    cafcdog said:
    Had that on my list, watching tonight 
  • Options
    cafcdog said:
    Oh is it a film? - I presumed it would be a TV Series
  • Options
    cafcdog said:
    Watched it last night, one of the best films I have ever seen. 

Noticed that Netflix are now warning viewers when a show/film is coming to the end of it's run, nice that they are listening. Looking forward to seeing what the promised benefits are with the price increase.   
    I watched it last night too. Not sure I’m quite as gushing about it as you Algarve but it’s a very very good film, beautifully shot and brilliantly acted. As always Ralph Fiennes is exceptional. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Come on guys, please respect the original reason this thread was created, it's only for top

Since when do lifers stick to the subject? 🧐next lifers will be asked not to swear 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Come on guys, please respect the original reason this thread was created, it's only for top

Since when do lifers stick to the subject? 🧐next lifers will be asked not to swear 😉
    Bolox 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Solidgone said:

Bolox 
    And you can fuck right off! 😉
  • Options

The Social Dilemma
    Bending the Arc
    I’d agree with that, there’s some good stuff but people seem to live their life by it, like it’s the only thing available. 
    Overrated. 

Like “let’s get a cab” has turned into “let’s get an Uber”.... “is there anything good on TV?” has turned into “any recommendations for Netflix?”

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    cafcdog said:
    Had that on my list, watching tonight 
    Just watched it, very good film 
  • Options

The Social Dilemma
    Bending the Arc
    I’d agree with that, there’s some good stuff but people seem to live their life by it, like it’s the only thing available. 
    Overrated. 

Like “let’s get a cab” has turned into “let’s get an Uber”.... “is there anything good on TV?” has turned into “any recommendations for Netflix?”

A marketing teams dream when they infiltrate day to day chat like these. 
  • Options
    Watched a couple of great documentaries over the weekend.

Icarus
    Operation Odessa

Both are at least a couple of years old but well worth watching if you haven't seen them.
  • Options
    The Getdown is decent imho
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Watched the, Dig, that it was based on true story gave it gravitas and Ralph Fiennes was good, only one car chase and that was with a bicycle.

Thought it was watchable but not as some are saying, it’s ok.
  • Options
    Bit late to this, but watched Suburra: Blood On Rome last week and thoroughly enjoyed it even with the patchy final season. I watched the film after, and it's odd how three main characters from the series all get killed in the film. Haven't seen the series of Gomorrah yet, I've seen the film, because the only places I see it's pay-only.
  • Options
    Fans of musical theatre should watch Bathtubs over Broadway.

Call My Agent is the new big thing, I think. It's ok but, 4 episodes in, I recommend doing a quick google of the real people who are in it, so that you know they are Johnny Hallidays' ex wife and daughter or whatever.