Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Thanks. If I stay at home my business dies and I could lose my home. Really not sure what to do now.
  • Options
    I’ve tried (and failed) in the past to get income protection. Does anyone know of any mortgage brokers that offer this to diabetics?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There needs to be a rent and mortgage freeze right now.
    How will that work then?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    How will that work then?
    Done it in Italy. RBS said to be looking at it. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    How will that work then?
    Done it in Italy. RBS said to be looking at it. 
    Help for those who've lost income will be needed - who knows the extent?
  • Options
    What are other diabetes sufferers doing? Staying at home or just social distancing and being selective on where you go?
    I’m Type 1. I’m just being as sensible as I can. Was due to go to a quiz night next Friday, was umming and aahing but it’s been cancelled anyway. Was due to take both our Mum’s to the pub on Sunday but have cancelled as both are over 70 and one has underlying health conditions so obviously don’t want to expose them. I’m on leave till Wednesday but will return on Thursday and just be careful. Been told to take our own hand towels in which is sensible.
  • Options
    @Covered End set up a thread to discuss lenders freeze/ financial hardship from this. Not really taken off yet

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88557/if-you-have-a-mortgage-and-will-struggle-to-make-the-repayments#latest
  • Options
    I definitely have something and staying at home, pretty sure it’s not c-19 but would prefer to have a widely available test to make sure. 
    This. I've talked about my symptoms on the other thread. Sometimes I think I have it and sometimes I think I have a bad cough/cold. 

A test would be nice if nothing more than to know I am safe to go back to work and not at risk of catching it again and passing it on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I definitely have something and staying at home, pretty sure it’s not c-19 but would prefer to have a widely available test to make sure. 
    This. I've talked about my symptoms on the other thread. Sometimes I think I have it and sometimes I think I have a bad cough/cold. 

A test would be nice if nothing more than to know I am safe to go back to work and not at risk of catching it again and passing it on.
    Has there been any evidence yet from those that have been regarded as recovered, whether the body builds up immunity against the virus?

In other words, those that have had it: would they now be protected, or are they still at risk of catching the virus again?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Has there been any evidence yet from those that have been regarded as recovered, whether the body builds up immunity against the virus?

In other words, those that have had it: would they now be protected, or are they still at risk of catching the virus again?

Although I’m guessing at this statement, if you have it once and it’s mild, it’s likely to be mild again in the future. 

Simply expose a number of recovered patients to people currently with the virus and see what happens
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Although I’m guessing at this statement, if you have it once and it’s mild, it’s likely to be mild again in the future. 

Simply expose a number of recovered patients to people currently with the virus and see what happens
    That's what the Government tell us.

But personally, I don't have too much trust in that Bonkers Boris and his crew know what to do next.

#protectprofitsatanycost

• Options
    Definitely rest @iainment. Hope you feel better soon 
  • Options
    Definitely rest @iainment. Hope you feel better soon 
    Thanks.
  • Options
    What are other diabetes sufferers doing? Staying at home or just social distancing and being selective on where you go?
    Working from home but will go out to the shops when needed. 
  • Options
    Working from home but will go out to the shops when needed. 
    I’m in good health and never suffer from illness. Obviously I’m not going to a place with multiple people but I need to go out to work which is generally peoples homes. I’m going there, work then straight home. I might come across one person maybe two. I’m washing my hands before I leave, sanitising when I get there and repeating the cycle for the return journey
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I've been puzzling about the Diabetic issue myself being a type 2. Thing is I consider myself superhealthy, exercise quite a lot, weight is OK, rarely get sick and if I do only mildly, so should I be following the hard line about Diabetics?

So far all I've established is two possible 'facts'

Diabetics through high blood sugar can get reduced white blood cell count which affects immune system, this doesn't seem to affect me (see above)

Secondly there seems to be some concern over Metformin, the standard drug type iis are given to reduce insulin resistance, and its impact on Corona Virus. I haven't managed to uncover anything on this yet though, other than chatting earlier today with a fellow type ii neighbour, and charlton fan... 

Edit: Interesting article about Metformin being a positive thing https://consumerchoicecenter.org/to-fight-severe-coronavirus-disease-and-even-ageing-make-metformin-an-otc-drug-now/
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Kept awake last night with a few coughing fits and feeling under the weather.
    Checked the NHS 111 website and it says I should self isolate for 14 days. So I emailed my boss accordingly.
    I feel well enough to work but I suppose in the situation we’re in I have no choice. Especially as I have asthma, highish blood pressure and am over 60.

Get well soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:
    I've been puzzling about the Diabetic issue myself being a type 2. Thing is I consider myself superhealthy, exercise quite a lot, weight is OK, rarely get sick and if I do only mildly, so should I be following the hard line about Diabetics?

Diabetics through high blood sugar can get reduced white blood cell count which affects immune system, this doesn't seem to affect me (see above)

Secondly there seems to be some concern over Metformin, the standard drug type iis are given to reduce insulin resistance, and its impact on Corona Virus. I haven't managed to uncover anything on this yet though, other than chatting earlier today with a fellow type ii neighbour, and charlton fan... 

Edit: Interesting article about Metformin being a positive thing https://consumerchoicecenter.org/to-fight-severe-coronavirus-disease-and-even-ageing-make-metformin-an-otc-drug-now/
    Government and Diabetes UK has not said anything specific about the virus. 
    But after having the flu very badly before it’s a mare as a diabetic if you can’t eat and your sugar levels go all over the shop
  • Options
    Thankfully I’ve had work come in for the next couple of weeks which should see me through the next 2-3 months, but I’m still self isolating and showing cold symptoms. Slowly, very slowly feeling better but won’t take chances by going to gym etc 
  • Options
    Adding myself to this now after developing a cough yesterday. Work trying to see if they can get me tested so I can (if clear) get back out on an ambulance sooner, but they have no idea how to get it done. 

• Options
    razil said:

But after having the flu very badly before it’s a mare as a diabetic if you can’t eat and your sugar levels go all over the shop
    type i or ii?
  • Options
    razil said:
    razil said:

type i or ii?
    The real one Type 1! 
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    Adding myself to this now after developing a cough yesterday. Work trying to see if they can get me tested so I can (if clear) get back out on an ambulance sooner, but they have no idea how to get it done. 

Bloody hell. That's a bit of a worry. Getting tested I mean.
    Hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    kigelia said:

Look after your health!
  • Options
    @kigelia sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better soon and they can get you tested ASAP to put your mind at rest
  • Options
    I came back from Paris a couple of weeks ago and have had a dry cough since... No fever or anything else... I’ve kept myself locked away but for how long? It’s been two weeks, am I safe to go to the local shop now? 
  • Options
    I came back from Paris a couple of weeks ago and have had a dry cough since... No fever or anything else... I’ve kept myself locked away but for how long? It’s been two weeks, am I safe to go to the local shop now? 
    I would be governed by whether you are still coughing or if it’s cleared up and if 14 days have passed