Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    Got a cold that's been coming and going for a couple of weeks, just a head cold, so runny nose, sneezing - both not symptoms of coronavirus thankfully and only the occasional clearing of the throat cough. But have felt rubbish for a couple of days, then feel relatively fine for a few days then feel rubbish and head coldy for a couple of days again. Making me a bit fed up, and a little concerned with recent events. Felt rubbish yesterday, feel okay-ish now. 
     Think that's where I'm at
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

We have to remember that "other viruses are available" but I think it will still be a useful thread. I suppose we could be encouraged by the knowledge that no Lifer has so far confirmed that he/she has been diagnosed with it.
    I think it is next to impossible to get tested currently.  Was listening to the radio yesterday where a lady said her grandfather died of Covid19 and they only found out 3 days after he died that he had it as he was in hospital for other reasons.  Despite the family being by his bedside and 3 now showing symptoms including the ladies 3 year old daughter who has a complex heart problem they have been refused tests and told they are not available unless you are critical...
    Heard this on Radio 5 - sounds pretty dire. Surely they should be tested?
    Was listening to this as well. While no doubt absolutely heartbreaking that this was the case, I suspect her use of language in terms of those now with symptoms was medically inaccurate.

First - testing for Covid-19 is both expensive and in a lot of ways, pretty useless. Knowing whether someone has it after the fact doesn't do very much, especially when the family are known to have been in close contact with a carrier. So they should be self-isolating as a precaution regardless.

Should their symptoms develop - equally, we do not have a "cure" (or vaccine), and all treatment is supportive and symptomatic. As for "critical", this is a term used with a very serious definition in medical terms (i.e. threat to life is present and we must combat this ASAP, generally speaking). I work with medical professionals and personally know a few doctors: testing would happen comfortably before a critical diagnosis.

I think use of hyperbolic language is really really unhelpful when it comes to coronavirus. We are hearing all sorts of scare stories and being whipped up into hysteria through media. That's not to say this is nothing to worry about - it absolutely is, and we should be taking sensible precautions. But the rhetoric is reinforcing a state of panic and we collectively need to calm down so we can approach this rationally and seriously with our best foot forward.
    If they've just lost a relative to Covid19 and have been in close attendance then I would expect them to be tested or at least offer them the option? It might help them with what must be a very difficult time.

A minority of medical professionals can sometimes be incredibly callous and insensitive.
    Shame they're the ones on the front line more often than not in my experience when someone is dying eagerly telling you what you are not allowed to do and why they've done all that they can.
    I remember when I was given the diagnosis for the life limiting condition that both my daughters suffer from - the doctor who gave it was so bad at giving the news I almost felt sorry for him.

Some doctors are naturally sensitive and others struggle - not an easy part of the job and sometimes overlooked in the training.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

We have to remember that "other viruses are available" but I think it will still be a useful thread. I suppose we could be encouraged by the knowledge that no Lifer has so far confirmed that he/she has been diagnosed with it.
    I think it is next to impossible to get tested currently.  Was listening to the radio yesterday where a lady said her grandfather died of Covid19 and they only found out 3 days after he died that he had it as he was in hospital for other reasons.  Despite the family being by his bedside and 3 now showing symptoms including the ladies 3 year old daughter who has a complex heart problem they have been refused tests and told they are not available unless you are critical...
    Was listening to this as well. While no doubt absolutely heartbreaking that this was the case, I suspect her use of language in terms of those now with symptoms was medically inaccurate.

First - testing for Covid-19 is both expensive and in a lot of ways, pretty useless. Knowing whether someone has it after the fact doesn't do very much, especially when the family are known to have been in close contact with a carrier. So they should be self-isolating as a precaution regardless.

Should their symptoms develop - equally, we do not have a "cure" (or vaccine), and all treatment is supportive and symptomatic. As for "critical", this is a term used with a very serious definition in medical terms (i.e. threat to life is present and we must combat this ASAP, generally speaking). I work with medical professionals and personally know a few doctors: testing would happen comfortably before a critical diagnosis.

I think use of hyperbolic language is really really unhelpful when it comes to coronavirus. We are hearing all sorts of scare stories and being whipped up into hysteria through media. That's not to say this is nothing to worry about - it absolutely is, and we should be taking sensible precautions. But the rhetoric is reinforcing a state of panic and we collectively need to calm down so we can approach this rationally and seriously with our best foot forward.
    Someone should tell the South Koreans, it's ridiculous that they can keep doing such useless stuff and get such brilliant results.
    South Korea is looking enviously at our approach and that of the US.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Someone should tell the South Koreans, it's ridiculous that they can keep doing some some useless and get such brilliant results.
    That's a fair comment given I didn't really explain what I meant, but I'll expand now. In this country, where currently our testing capabilities are limited (for a variety of reasons) and government policy/PHE directives are as they are, testing doesn't really do very much practically. Trace/test/treat isn't something happening right now.

Equally, in this particular case - we know those in question have been in close proximity to a carrier, so it is reasonable to assume they are more likely to be infected.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

If they've just lost a relative to Covid19 and have been in close attendance then I would expect them to be tested or at least offer them the option? It might help them with what must be a very difficult time.

A minority of medical professionals can sometimes be incredibly callous and insensitive.
    But... what would testing, in practicality, do? I appreciate I am now one of those sounding callous, but I think it is fair to assume that as their relative passed away due to Covid-19/while infected, that they are therefore at a higher risk and should be taking all necessary precautions anyway. That would include isolation, and if symptoms develop then over-the-counter medication is often sufficient to relieve symptoms (again - no cure so you can only provide supportive and symptom-based treatment).
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

But... what would testing, in practicality, do? I appreciate I am now one of those sounding callous, but I think it is fair to assume that as their relative passed away due to Covid-19/while infected, that they are therefore at a higher risk and should be taking all necessary precautions anyway. That would include isolation, and if symptoms develop then over-the-counter medication is often sufficient to relieve symptoms (again - no cure so you can only provide supportive and symptom-based treatment).
    It might help them deal with the situation - the woman on the radio said her daughter was in a high risk group and I'm assuming the NHS can at least afford the cost of a couple of tests. The sooner infection is identified for a 'vulnerable' person the better.

A bit of sensitivity is never a bad thing. 

• Options
    I have had flu like symptons since Thursday.

Headache, achy, feeling very cold etc. a bit chesty since yesterday,  but no fever, cough or sore throat, so I am fairly sure it is not covid 19.

I am worried however that I must be run down and more susceptible to catching it, and, not being as able to fight it off as when I am well.

• Options
    I had to take the train & tube in for the last two weeks, which I don't normally do so I'm putting it down to that.

Back in the car when I'm in next
  • Options
    Numbers said:

Headache, achy, feeling very cold etc. a bit chesty since yesterday,  but no fever, cough or sore throat, so I am fairly sure it is not covid 19.

I am worried however that I must be run down and more susceptible to catching it, and, not being as able to fight it off as when I am well.

This is exactly what's worrying me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Numbers said:

Hope you feel much better soon
  • Options
    there is no question that not having enough testing kits / stations is a big problem - millions will be self isolating despite not need to - whatever the govt say about timing and up the curve and all that, the availability of testing is something they could have improved if they had acred quicker - surely ???? this seems like a huge problem /error?? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So if someone in your immediate family has a cough or high temperature you are all supposed to self isolate for 14 days.

What are they supposed to do about food?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    So if someone in your immediate family has a cough or high temperature you are all supposed to self isolate for 14 days.

I guess it's the inevitable start of cannibalism. 
     That's what I thought.
  • Options
    Talal said:

That's what I thought.
    In all seriousness though while food deliveries are still being made I assume they could just order and have it left at the door. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

That's what I thought.
    In all seriousness though while food deliveries are still being made I assume they could just order and have it left at the door. 
     My missus tried getting a slot. Nothing for at least two weeks. Not sure how long I can make a tin of beans stretch
  • Options
    Talal said:

What are they supposed to do
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

That's what I thought.
    ...as long as they're not hungry in the next three weeks
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    One of our guys was infected with Covid-19 whilst on a skiing holiday in Austria but didn't know he had it until one of the party went down with the virus (had travelled from northern Italy). He was subsequently quarantined in Austria.

First sign was a high temperature that lasted a couple of hours - then nothing. Three days later he developed flu-like symptoms - cough, aches and so on. This lasted for 24 hours.

That was it - he is now fully recovered.

He is not in the high risk age group, nor has he any underlying medical conditions.

Hi Bob.  First, and most important, I am glad he's made a complete recovery.  

But second, can I ask how he knew it was Covid-19 and not something else (other than the fact someone else had it)?  Was he tested?  Or was this an educated assumption based on contact tracing? 

Third thing - and I wouldn't expect you to know this - whose "statistics" would someone like that end up on?  Would he appear as a case in Austria that's now recovered?  Or would he be one of the cases that PHE reports?  (It's not particularly vital information, it just got me wondering..!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR. My Step Dad has been isolating on advice from 111 since Friday. Fever. Sore Throat. Temperature. My mum was told she didn’t have to isolate. This morning things changed my Step Dad went downhill. Had seizure/fit. Mum called an ambulance who took him straight to Darenth Valley. Mum went in the ambulance but wasn’t allowed in to hospital with him so went back home in a taxi. In the mean time she had no update. Nothing from anyone. Finally got a call to say pick him up, when she got there she was told they won’t be testing him for Coronavirus as he wasn’t already a patient at the hospital and that they honestly haven’t got the resources to do testing. So he’s home. Rough as hell without any update as to what’s wrong and they’ve both got to self isolate 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

That's what I thought.
     My missus tried getting a slot. Nothing for at least two weeks. Not sure how long I can make a tin of beans stretch
    Didn't realise it was that bad. I guess they'd be reliant on other family or kind hearted neighbours. 
  • Options
    Anyone know if Idris Elba is a Charlton fan? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

That's what I thought.
    Didn't realise it was that bad. I guess they'd be reliant on other family or kind hearted neighbours. 
     Yeah. Frightening isn't it. I'm guessing many will dodge the advice if they feel ok and they need food for their family.
  • Options
    Close schools now please Boris, let’s at least try to give everyone a fighting chance xxx
  • Options
    James86 said:
    PWR. My Step Dad has been isolating on advice from 111 since Friday. Fever. Sore Throat. Temperature. My mum was told she didn’t have to isolate. This morning things changed my Step Dad went downhill. Had seizure/fit. Mum called an ambulance who took him straight to Darenth Valley. Mum went in the ambulance but wasn’t allowed in to hospital with him so went back home in a taxi. In the mean time she had no update. Nothing from anyone. Finally got a call to say pick him up, when she got there she was told they won’t be testing him for Coronavirus as he wasn’t already a patient at the hospital and that they honestly haven’t got the resources to do testing. So he’s home. Rough as hell without any update as to what’s wrong and they’ve both got to self isolate 🤷‍♂️
    Appalling. And not a dig at your mum, but if she took a taxi back and she's carrying the virus, she could infect the driver and everyone who rides in the taxi for the rest of the day. Again, not her fault, she had to get home, but how no one has thought to put this kind of infrastructure in place is beyond me.

It's said that bringing down the fever can help. There are questions over whether NSAIDS can inflame the disease, I don't think the evidence that they do it very compelling, but just to be on the safe side, paracetamol. Cold medicine if they have them or if someone can bring it to them. From what I understand, anything that helps fight the symptoms can help. 
  • Options
    Good luck to your stepdad and your mum @James86 .  Must be terribly difficult for you all.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    But which foot is best? 😱
    Who's tried walking with your best foot forward?  It's very ungainly; dragging the other foot behind you so the best foot is always in front makes you look like you're either drunk or demented.