Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    @SDAddick No offence taken. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Suppose everything goes out the window when you’re in that position. 
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    I have had flu like symptons since Thursday.

Headache, achy, feeling very cold etc. a bit chesty since yesterday,  but no fever, cough or sore throat, so I am fairly sure it is not covid 19.

I am worried however that I must be run down and more susceptible to catching it, and, not being as able to fight it off as when I am well.

Hope you feel much better soon
    Thank you very much, I will be alright, it's older people I am more worried about. Take care of yourself and please shout on here for help if and when you need to
  • Options
    My brothers wife thinks she has it. Just spoke to him and he’s going to self isolate, which will hit him hard financially. SSP from day 1 was a decent gesture but £100 a week from £350 take home is a big hit. 

She’s had a temperature and sore throat all day. Advice given simply to self isolate for 14 days so she’s not going to be tested. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    One of our guys was infected with Covid-19 whilst on a skiing holiday in Austria but didn't know he had it until one of the party went down with the virus (had travelled from northern Italy). He was subsequently quarantined in Austria.

First sign was a high temperature that lasted a couple of hours - then nothing. Three days later he developed flu-like symptoms - cough, aches and so on. This lasted for 24 hours.

That was it - he is now fully recovered.

He is not in the high risk age group, nor has he any underlying medical conditions.

Hi Bob.  First, and most important, I am glad he's made a complete recovery.  

But second, can I ask how he knew it was Covid-19 and not something else (other than the fact someone else had it)?  Was he tested?  Or was this an educated assumption based on contact tracing? 

Third thing - and I wouldn't expect you to know this - whose "statistics" would someone like that end up on?  Would he appear as a case in Austria that's now recovered?  Or would he be one of the cases that PHE reports?  (It's not particularly vital information, it just got me wondering..!)

The guy who came from northern Italy was unwell and tested positive. There were 9 in the party and the other 8 (including our guy) were tested as contacts - four had it and four were negative. No assumptions made and all five positives have made a full recovery.

I have no idea where his infection would be reported but I would guess Austria.
  • Options
    My brothers wife thinks she has it. Just spoke to him and he’s going to self isolate, which will hit him hard financially. SSP from day 1 was a decent gesture but £100 a week from £350 take home is a big hit. 

She’s had a temperature and sore throat all day. Advice given simply to self isolate for 14 days so she’s not going to be tested. 

Best wishes to your sister-in-law, and brother.

I'm sure this is being replicated throughout the country which goes a way to debunk the number of cases being reported and the mortality rate.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    One of our guys was infected with Covid-19 whilst on a skiing holiday in Austria but didn't know he had it until one of the party went down with the virus (had travelled from northern Italy). He was subsequently quarantined in Austria.

First sign was a high temperature that lasted a couple of hours - then nothing. Three days later he developed flu-like symptoms - cough, aches and so on. This lasted for 24 hours.

He is not in the high risk age group, nor has he any underlying medical conditions.

I assume he was tested in Austria.

We (7 of us) just left St Anton in Austria late Friday night after it was quarantined.

Been self isolating since, as have my family of 4 and obviously no visitors ( unless Dominos delivery counts!)

I do not feel great at all and 3 of the 7 are laid up in bed with fever. Surely no coincidence- so some potentially have Covid.

Without testing - who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

As we are all under or around 50 and no underlying health issues, what’s the point of getting tested (if it was actually possible)?

On the other hand , I assume that the experts need to know all cases in relation to mortality rates...

The figure of cases in the UK could be in 5 figures easily. The issue is the people who do not show symptoms. If I had not gone to Austria, I definitely would not be self isolating as I just feel a bit shite and no cough. 

From my perspective,  it just puts all the vulnerable at risk if we go out and try to get tested. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:

Hi Bob.  First, and most important, I am glad he's made a complete recovery.  

But second, can I ask how he knew it was Covid-19 and not something else (other than the fact someone else had it)?  Was he tested?  Or was this an educated assumption based on contact tracing? 

Third thing - and I wouldn't expect you to know this - whose "statistics" would someone like that end up on?  Would he appear as a case in Austria that's now recovered?  Or would he be one of the cases that PHE reports?  (It's not particularly vital information, it just got me wondering..!)

The guy who came from northern Italy was unwell and tested positive. There were 9 in the party and the other 8 (including our guy) were tested as contacts - four had it and four were negative. No assumptions made and all five positives have made a full recovery.

I have no idea where his infection would be reported but I would guess Austria.
    On a separate note Bob, hope Jan is keeping well and mate and doing as good as she can in the circumstances.  

Jan is doing well, thanks @cabbles

Although her treatment is of course compromising her immune system. Just need to be very careful and observant of her temperature above all else.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Best wishes to your sister-in-law, and brother.

I'm sure this is being replicated throughout the country which goes a way to debunk the number of cases being reported and the mortality rate.
    Cheers Bob. 

They have a 7 month old who probably has it too. They need to call back tomorrow but they were reluctant to test on the basis my brother would have to take her in. I get it but that can be viable surely. She can’t tell them how she’s feeling so there just going to have to monitor her temperature and see if she appears in discomfort. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a foreign contact who was diagnosed a fortnight ago, and he says that he felt crap but the flu he got in London 3 years ago was far worse. He’s 33, fever and slight cough . Got tested as had got a plane from Europe to South America and has a private healthcare system so they’ll do whatever you want if you pay!

whereas here, my mates missus had the worst cough I’ve ever heard 3 weeks ago, along with fever and the doctor listening to her chest through a stethoscope and confirming a lung infection of some sort. But the doctor said that he’d been told centrally by NHS not to test people who hadn’t travelled to the key areas, unless their temperature was above 39 degrees (it was 37) - on the basis she was young and healthy and so would be fine (which she now is). Explicitly asked whether to self isolate, and was told there was no need.

the stats are politics - and therefore unreliable. Stay safe - luckily it’s not too bad for most people but it’s the vulnerable which need to be careful
  • Options
    I think schools will close very soon of their own accord, or at least adopt a partial closure. 
    We had about 75pc of students in today and following today’s news I expect this to decrease tomorrow. Plus an increased number of staff are off and now the isolation period is two weeks that takes us almost to the Easter holidays.
    Some proper decision and some direction is needed now. Enough ‘recommendations’ and ‘suggestions’ that create ambiguity and confusion.

• Options
    Was putting off starting this and sink if not appropriate, but it seems inevitable that people will be directly affected by this.

Maybe a thread for those who have or whose close friends and families have contracted it. How they are feeling. Help available etc.

Wading through the original thread may become difficult.

I'll start. I've felt lousy since Friday. No cough or fever. Sneezing uncontrollably in the evenings. Fuzzy head so not concerned yet.
    Did you get positively tested?
     Should people be getting tested at the first signs? I'm not in the age vulnerable category. I was planning on just staying in until it passes if/when I did have matching symptoms.
    They're hardly testing anyone. Drain on resources.
  • Options
    So if someone in your immediate family has a cough or high temperature you are all supposed to self isolate for 14 days.

What are they supposed to do about food?
    Ideally you get online shopping or get a friend/family/neighbour to shop for you and leave it at the front door.
    Failing that, the adult who is showing no signs of any symptoms should shop.
  • Options
    My wife's best friend texted her earlier.
    Her 78 year old uncle who lived in Beckenham contracted Covid on Friday.
    Admittedly he also had COPD, he died a few hours ago.
  • Options
    James86 said:
    @SDAddick No offence taken. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Suppose everything goes out the window when you’re in that position. 
    Well she had to get home as well. She did the best thing that was available to her. I'm annoyed with the hospital and broader lack of a plan for how to deal with it. 

Sorry, what got lost in all that is that I'm sending you and your mum and stepdad love and positive thoughts. That wasn't clear in my previous post. I hope they're both on the mend and looking after themselves. Sometimes just looking after yourself can be a huge differentiator. 
  • Options
    I started getting a runny nose Friday, which is not a C-19 symptom at all. Got a bit alarmed when on Sunday my temperature started to rise, but it "peaked" at 37.8 (100.1) which again is below the threshold for any kind of C-19 alarm. This morning it is back to normal and it looks like a normal and slight cold. 

We have to remember that "other viruses are available" but I think it will still be a useful thread. I suppose we could be encouraged by the knowledge that no Lifer has so far confirmed that he/she has been diagnosed with it.
    Yeh there is a rotten cold going around.  Had it myself with sneezing and a temperature but no coughing.
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that CE. 
  • Options
    Walking around Asda. Empty shelves. Only the branded stuff left. Hard watching people make decisions on what they can afford. Old folk who look like they haven't been out for years wandering around trying to find stuff. Heartbreaking
  • Options
    And the f****rs have definitely put prices up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only a matter of time before that happened.
  • Options
    Some of that will be to put people off stockpiling too much. Not all though, not arguing they won’t be making a few quid. 
  • Options
    I definitely have something and staying at home, pretty sure it’s not c-19 but would prefer to have a widely available test to make sure. 
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    Numbers said:
    I have had flu like symptons since Thursday.

Headache, achy, feeling very cold etc. a bit chesty since yesterday,  but no fever, cough or sore throat, so I am fairly sure it is not covid 19.

I am worried however that I must be run down and more susceptible to catching it, and, not being as able to fight it off as when I am well.

Hope you feel much better soon
    Thank you very much, I will be alright, it's older people I am more worried about. Take care of yourself and please shout on here for help if and when you need to

Thank you
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I'm really sorry to hear that CE. 
    It doesn't effect me personally, so not meaning to sound cold hearted, but I'm not too upset, (if people appreciate what I mean).
    I just thought I'd mention it as he lived in Beckenham and it's arrived on our doorstep for sure.
  • Options
    Walking around Asda. Empty shelves. Only the branded stuff left. Hard watching people make decisions on what they can afford. Old folk who look like they haven't been out for years wandering around trying to find stuff. Heartbreaking
    Popped into Asda at Chalton where numerous shelves are empty. I hope the selfish panic buyers are happy.

Without a strong community effort a lot of old people won't cope even if they don't get the virus.
  • Options
    Worth listening to the professional advice, for those that are anxious

https://twitter.com/totallykeen/status/1239609487155253248
  • Options
    What are other diabetes sufferers doing? Staying at home or just social distancing and being selective on where you go?
  • Options
    What are other diabetes sufferers doing? Staying at home or just social distancing and being selective on where you go?
    Presumably staying at home as much as possible. There are an awful lot of people with undiagnosed diabetes.
  • Options
    edited March 2020