Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are West Ham going down??

Comments

• Options
    You just know they are going to get unlikely wins at Man City and Liverpool now.
  • Options
    If they go down, doesn't their rent?
  • Options
  • Options
    Curbs where are you?

Would he want to save them again after the disgusting way they treated him last time?

I just hope Palace get sucked in too but unlikely.
  • Options
    Probably
  • Options
    You just know they are going to get unlikely wins at Man City and Liverpool now.
    Not this year. I reckon no points away against City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs and very few points at home to Southampton and Wolves, who are both in decent form. Then they play Chelsea at home, who could beat them easily or lose to them, depending on which Chelsea turns up.
    Hopefully, no points from their next seven games will leave them right in the mire and playing catch up. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Curbs where are you?

Would he want to save them again after the disgusting way they treated him last time?

I just hope Palace get sucked in too but unlikely.
    That would be really nice. We can but dream! 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Probably
    Discussed above. Rent is halved on relegation. Or rather, you pay even more than you do now.
  • Options
    The Boleyn is no more and contracts have been signed so they are stuck with the London Stadium. They have a ridiculously good deal financially, but football is about more than that thankfully although it doesn't always feel that way. I do feel for West Ham fans. I thought they had a cracking ground and it was graced by great players like Bobby Moore and other greats. Gold, Sullivan and Brady do not understand football, their sneering lives are about money at all costs, and the cost here is the Identity of West Ham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Boelyn was a proper football ground for proper football fans. The move to the new ground was all about money and I feared that, with all the financial advantages, West Ham would become a real force. It would appear, however, that Gold and Sullivan have used the move to line their own pockets only.
    I've disliked West Ham since the Defoe episode and what has gone on since they started to receive state aid has made me like them even less.
    I very much doubt if there would be anywhere the level of disquiet amongst the West Ham fans if their owners had used the massive advantage handed to them to elevate the team to the upper echelons of the Premier League.
    I really hope that they go down (we can worry about Josh Cullen in due course). 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    West Ham brother-in-law adamant they will become the next Sunderland.
    That's exactly what I said to my son will happen if they go down. 

It would be excellent if it did. And another example of Boris bullshit.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I accept that reporting on dissent may have been suppressed skilfully by an adept PR team but I wasn't aware of any great protest against moving or desire to keep their old ground and traditions. 

As an outsider my impression is that they embraced the taxpayer subsidising their club and sod their heritage.
    A number of them were very blase about the move, assuming that those outsiders who thought it was a mistake were just anti West Ham or jealous

If more West Ham fans had been to the Olympic stadium in 2012 they might have realised how flawed it would be as a football stadium, even with the money spent on it
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I accept that reporting on dissent may have been suppressed skilfully by an adept PR team but I wasn't aware of any great protest against moving or desire to keep their old ground and traditions. 

As an outsider my impression is that they embraced the taxpayer subsidising their club and sod their heritage.
    my eldest son is a devoted West Ham fan (can choose your friends etc) .. he and most of his friends/fellow fanatics were in favour of the move for the obvious reasons .. prestigious ground in a huge new development, improved match day experience, massive crowds generating lots of cash for new players etc .. 
    his dreams are yet to be realised of course, but like all devoted fans he hangs in there .. B T W he thinks the stadium is not such a disaster as is widely thought and/or reported .. there was quite a bit of resistance to the move, mostly from the older ammers who lived 'just rahnd the corner' from the Boleyn and like many many Addicks fans re the Valley had a total emotional attachment to their ancestral home.
  • Options
    Quite a bit of being wise after the event here.

I’d bet most of us would’ve lapped up the dream of a 60,000 stadium and the idea of breaking into the ‘next level’ during our mid table Premiership days.

As always, it’s the average fan who loses out. Surprised there’s not a bit more empathy for our claret and blue neighbours. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that poignant piece, @Valley11. Almost made me feel sorry for the fans.

Your additional comments re appreciating what WE have at this moment in time is SO true.

But we've had to fight the good fight to reach this point and that's what makes it all the more special.

Maybe if Hammers' fans had formed the HATE group( Hammers against the exit), raised a ridiculous amount of money to support the initiative, paraded a huge paper mache dildo through Westfield, protested with banners outside Ann Summers' shops in London with big girls' pants on their heads & thrown those sweet little rampant rabbits on the pitch at Upton Park, they MIGHT have stood a chance of retaining their home....
    I take your point. Perhaps our situation is different in that it was patently obvious what RD was up to and that had to be stopped. 

WHU’s move was sold as the only way to make the next level. It was, on face value, a positive - certainly no-one was thinking of protests. 

I guess it’s what, it anything, WHU fans do now that matters. Tricky as it’s one thing changing owners, a much more difficult proposition to move stadiums. 
  • Options
    What was/is the next level for West Ham though?

Even we've finished higher in the top league than them throughout our histories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got no time for Gold, Sullivan or Brady but West Ham are a proper football club and I think are very similar to Charlton albeit usually operating at a higher level than us. Plenty of scummy fans but the majority are decent and proper not plastics. Hope they stay up because I want them to offload Josh Cullen which I think is more likely if they are PL next season. Given their scandalous deal for the Olympic Stadium I wonder if they are actually quite ripe for a really big takeover on Man City scale ? Sad times for them and the fact that using my enemies enemy is my friend (Millwall) I wish West Ham no harm apart from their obnoxious owners.
  • Options
    Can see them going down.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So presumably the Dildo Brothers and the Evil Witch have got the hump and are threatening Sky with legal action?

Oh and why is it the West Ham old boys in the media (Tony Cottee, Tony Gale etc etc) keep talking about West Ham having full houses week after week when every time I've watched their home games on MOTD, I can see bloody empty seats in all the stands.   Far from a sell out.
    That apology was in response to the below,

Journalists Jonathan Liew, Matt Lawton and Matt Dickinson laid into the club's hierarchy as they slammed the board for the club's perceived lack of direction and their stewardship during the decade.

And Liew, who writes for The Guardian, claimed that West Ham were no longer considered to be a serious player in European football - despite recently being named as the world's 18th-richest club.

"They're not taken seriously any more," he told presenter Jacqui Oatley. "If you think about the major players in European football then the owners just aren't taken seriously as football people. And that's a huge issue.

"We talked about culture previously and there is a culture that basically everybody's got their hands in the till. The players are there for a pay check, the managers are there to do a couple of season to buff up their CV.

"There is no long term thinking. If you go from Moyes, to Pellegrini, back to Moyes, what is the long-term plan, what's the vision there? There isn't one."

Meanwhile The Telegraph's Matt Law highlighted the club's sheer lack of depth with regards to a support mechanism behind the playing squad. "They probably have the worst training ground in the Premier League," he said. "And I think, at the moment, they've only got one scout.

"When David Moyes came back he wanted to bring Stuart Pearce - who'd done a good job before - with him. It was vetoed because he'd dared to criticise the board on a radio station.

"He's got one member of the backroom staff that he's brought in, Alan Irvine, because Alan Stubbs turned them down. He's got no backroom staff, it's just a shambles, an absolute shambles."

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I quite like West Ham tbh. Upton Park was a happy temporary home and I’ve always found WHU fans to be decent supporters with a similar sense of realism to us. 

I read this the other day (below). A really interesting summing up of their new ‘home’ from a fan.

It makes you realise that at this moment, with new owners who appear to want the best for Charlton, a squad of players who care and fight for the badge, a former player as manager and support staff who are all acting in the best interests of the club and our beloved stadium to watch it all in...well, it makes you realise that perhaps this is as good as it gets being a football fan regardless of which league and the position you sit within that league.

And perhaps it’s healthy to be grateful for what you’ve got from time to time. 

Have a read: 

It's a definitley a generational thing with West Ham fans. Their younger fans of which I'm freinds with a few are proper fans and are fine. It's their old lot who tell stories of how they were a known face down Upton Park in the 80s, when half of them never go and are seen in pubs in Bromley. 

Problem is their older fans think they are a lot bigger than they actually are, when in reality they are a mid to lower premier league team at best. 

It don't bother me though if they are succesful or rubbish.
  • Options
    I'm not terribly impressed by the slightly excessive empathy for their fans shown by some of you. This bears repeating: they are the least organised fanbase in London, the only one without a Supporters Trust. This means they have credulously lapped up what a succession of owners have fed them since 1990, and never organised themselves to question anything they were told, still less asked to cough up for. Older Lifers will remember the Valley Investment Plan, which started when we were at Upton Park, raising the final million to get us back to the Valley. At first a bond was discussed, but it was dropped because West Ham had tainted the word, offering a so-called bond which was in fact something you had to buy for the privilege of being able to then buy a season ticket. (The VIP was effectively bulk forward purchase of your season ticket for years ahead at good prices - a tangible benefit). You'd think that would have prompted some of them to get organised, but no, just a load of random gobbing off and abusive chants, while they revelled in the good old dodgy dealings of 'Arry.

When the Dildo Bros unveiled their plans, not only did most of them fall for it, but those few brave souls who dared to ask questions were harassed, sometimes physically, for their troubles. And to make it a bit personal, when our Olympic Campaign was in full swing, and the thread was running on here, some of theirs (remember "gavros"?) came on CL, and were welcomed as much as our regular Spanners and and Operation Pig. Then somebody tipped me off to have a look at KUMB. On the thread about the Stadium, they (I think gavros, who some say is an EDL twat) had identified me as an OSC ringleader, and were freely using my real name. Whatever. But when I tried to sign up on KUMB, so I could go on and put a few things straight, they blocked me. And it wasn't an oversight, as I nudged them about it. They just ignored my application. Wankers.

Eventually other members of the Coalition, notably the Spurs people, identified WHUISA as reasonable people trying to raise issues around the stadium, and tried to reach out to them. It would of course have been great to be able to say that many West Ham fans agreed that our concerns about the contract were legitimate. But basically, the answer came back that while they thought we were right, they did not dare say so. They were intimidated both by other West Ham fans and by Brady.

So you'll excuse me if I am not going to shed too many tears for that lot. 
    Sounds like you’ve had a rough experience there @PragueAddick.
    As the old cliche goes, I’ve got a few mates who support West Ham and they, and the other Hammers I’ve met over the years, have always been decent.
    Personally I’m not going to judge them because they’re disorganised. Charlton fans lead the way when it comes to fighting for our club. 
    Whatever your view though, if can’t be denied they’re a working class club who have probably lost more than they’ve won over the years. They’re not top four material and you’ve got to feel their soul has been sold with that new stadium. Again, personally, I have some sympathy for them. The fans.
    And as my original post was intended to do; for me the whole saga should give pause for reflection and a degree of satisfaction about where we are right now: 19th in div 2 but with a unified club. 
    COYRs
  • Options
    It does seem that the West Ham fans are starting to get organised against their owners.