Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    “You ok hun?”

Why would you want to be the person who says this? 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    “You ok hun?”

Why would you want to be the person who says this? 
    I use this all the time. Only as a form of passive aggression though
  • Options
    At the end of the day.
    There are a lot of phrases on this thread that I dislike, but this is the one I absolutely hate!
  • Options
    “Could I get” instead of “May I have” or “I’d like”

Saying “like” all the time - “So I was like....”

Anyone who calls me “Bruv” or “Fam”

Prefacing a sentence with “Look” (this seems to be particularly an Aussie thing.) 

“Blue sky thinking”

”Playing hardball”

”Going forward” instead of “In the future”

• Options
    Using the term “Influencer” for any spotty-faced oik or bottled blond who has been plastic-surgeoned to within an inch of their lives, just because they have been able to work out how to upload a video to YouTube!
    Admittedly, this could also go on the “General things that annoy you” thread!
  • Options
    Bus replacement service.
  • Options
    Five year plan
  • Options
    And he turned round and said..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where shall I start?  Train Station instead of Railway Station. Big Ben's Bongs instead of Chimes. Absolutly instead of just plain Yes.  Schedule and not sckedule. Me and my friend (or whoever) instead of My friend (or whoever) and I.  I could go on,  but at this moment in time, and at the end of the day, that will have to do.                                                   
  • Options
    Unnecessary adverbs and misuse of literally......

I was literally frothing at the mouth because naturally I was totally angry and until I was completely finished I was actually really raging.

Of course, you can make it worse by adding 'you know what I mean' to the end, but that's another story.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Don't get me started on "Should of"
    Perpetrated, it feels, by most people on this forum...
  • Options
    “and all the trimmings”... I could barely bring myself to type it. Where my hate for this comes from I have no idea, but I do not like it at all!
    I couldn't agree more. 

The "rate my plate" saga was particularly traumatic...
  • Options
    They’ve got players who can hurt you.
  • Options
    Bed wetters. 
  • Options
    See it, say it, sorted
    They even have posters of this up at The Valley now. Inane nonsense.
  • Options
    My bad

'Can I get' instead of 'Can I have'
    Or even “May I have?”.
  • Options
    Millwall are promoted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Where shall I start?  Train Station instead of Railway Station. Big Ben's Bongs instead of Chimes. Absolutly instead of just plain Yes.  Schedule and not sckedule. Me and my friend (or whoever) instead of My friend (or whoever) and I.  I could go on,  but at this moment in time, and at the end of the day, that will have to do.                                                   
    My friend and I agree with most of this, especially 'sckedule' which drives us both crazy. Me and my friend are not necessarily wrong though, as long as we are the object and not the subject of the sentence.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My friend and I agree with most of this, especially 'sckedule' which drives us both crazy. Me and my friend are not necessarily wrong though, as long as we are the object and not the subject of the sentence.
    Me and my friend is wrong even as the object. Second person, third person then first person is the correct order in which to refer to people in such a situation. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Me and my friend is wrong even as the object. Second person, third person then first person is the correct order in which to refer to people in such a situation. 
    Thanks AddicksAddict, my friend and I weren't aware of that. But apparently word ordering can be quite complex and can vary depending on situation. For example in a situation involving an apology or admission of guilt, it's etiquette for the first person to shoulder the blame by putting themself first. 
  • Options
    This train terminates at Charing Cross. Surely, it finishes its journey there then turns round and heads somewhere else.
  • Options
    Politician talk I really hate 

Hard working families up and down the country 
    I've been very clear that...
    Too little, too late
  • Options
    'He's been a great servant to the club'....     when applied to the likes of John Terry etc. He's been paid an absolute fortune for doing a job that virtually everyone would give their right arm to do (less chance of handball, too)... that doesn't make him a servant ffs.
  • Options
    "Train Station" is one of my hates too. Another Americanism.
  • Options
    This train terminates at Charing Cross. Surely, it finishes its journey there then turns round and heads somewhere else.
    hmmm. is your problem with the word terminate or the fact that it's not in fact the end of the train's entire journey!?  'This train terminates at Gravesend at 00.27 following a full shift of journeys with various drivers and calling at various railway stations along the way having started at 5.20am from Gravesend earlier today' 
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    "Train Station" is one of my hates too. Another Americanism.
    A fact that has always tickled me is that the Russian word for railway station - Voksal - is based on Vauxhall in South London.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    hmmm. is your problem with the word terminate or the fact that it's not in fact the end of the train's entire journey!?  'This train terminates at Gravesend at 00.27 following a full shift of journeys with various drivers and calling at various railway stations along the way having started at 5.20am from Gravesend earlier today' 
    I think you're right, that's what it needs a full explanation as you suggest. :smile:

The train doesn't actually terminate. It's the journey that the train is making that terminates. The train carries on its merry way on its next journey until that journey terminates. 

I'm beginning to wish I never started this one, to be honest. I think I will terminate.