Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    Going back to my yard.

You live in a house or a flat. Wtf is it a yard?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Not a phrase but "like". Those idiots on love island say it every other word. 
    “Love Island” 
  • Options
    'Reckon'

Only when said by news readers on tin pot radio stations where the reader has just left sixth form.

'Scientists in Germany reckon....'

Should be 'believe' surely?
  • Options
    "pre-planned"

When else are you going to plan something? After the event?
  • Options
    Marquee signings
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Some pearlers here 

My particular favourite/worst one 

It is what it is 

The phrase of the vacuous

So you hate Lee Bowyer : - )
  • Options
    Double down
  • Options
    People that use the word "Literally" in every other sentence when it has no purpose. "I was literally shitting myself" Sometimes interspersed with"Like" which is equally as useless. "Like I thought like I was having a really shit day" or "You know what I mean like, I was like, literally having a mare like, I mean like, I was, god's honest truth, literally."

These people do exist.
  • Options
    Expiration date.  WTF is wrong with the customary 'expiry'? 
  • Options
    I can not stand the. “Can I Get”    However, I can give you one worse than that, I was in a pub, and a twenty something female ordering food at the bar 

Said

”Can I Get The Burger” but “Can I Not Get The Sauce”

grammatically incorrect.  It's 'may I get?'.  Can implies can you, as in, do you have the ability to get the burger
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's always darkest just before dawn. No it isn't, it's darkest when both the sun and the moon are 18° or more below the horizon, unless you are feeling depressed in which case it's darkest just before everything goes pitch black.
  • Options
    seeing a lot of tweets where people are replacing Bro, Bruh.  Bro is bad enough, but when we're seeing dialects impacting it and you don't come from the good old U S of A, I don't want to know.

Not a fan of seeing tweets in their regional dialects either.  'I cannae get ma head around etc etc'.  Pathetic.

As for sayings

'Getting my ducks in a row' and 'keeping my powder dry'.  I associate them with smug individuals
  • Options
    forward planning (as opposed, of course, to backward planning)
  • Options
    Not phrases but 'are' instead of 'our' and 'he's' instead of his make me want to stab people repeatedly with a rusty knife.

'Thought leadership'    AAAAAAGHHHHHHH!
  • Options
    Next 2 weeks will be crucial 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    '24/7...'

Go 69/1 you tosspoteer

Worse still, 24/7/365

Why do you even need the 365? Idiots.
    Incase 24/7  isn't enough 
  • Options
    Wake up and smell the coffee.
  • Options
    When someone tells you to 'look' before making a point - I am looking you complete c**t
  • Options
    People people on here after we have failed once again to win.

”IM HAPPY WITH THAT”

• Options
    'He really knows where the goal is' .. when talking about someone whose job it it is to score goals... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    It's always darkest just before dawn. No it isn't, it's darkest when both the sun and the moon are 18° or more below the horizon, unless you are feeling depressed in which case it's darkest just before everything goes pitch black.
    But that's always before dawn. 
  • Options
    I realise it's not a phrase........People who begin virtually every sentence with the word 'So'
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Stig said:
    But that's always before dawn. 
    But not 'just' before.
  • Options
    “The model” what fucking model , an airfix one or a guff dull spend chuff all type of model 
  • Options
    People that use the word "Literally" in every other sentence when it has no purpose. "I was literally shitting myself" Sometimes interspersed with"Like" which is equally as useless. "Like I thought like I was having a really shit day" or "You know what I mean like, I was like, literally having a mare like, I mean like, I was, god's honest truth, literally."

These people do exist.
    This comes up on Reddit a lot, and you’ll find people arguing that the English language is evolving and it’s now acceptable to use it as a term of exaggeration. 

But that’s horse shit. ‘Literally’ works in a very specific set of circumstances, i.e. when a statement that works figuratively does indeed work literally. Misusing it cheapens its value. 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Talal said:
    Not a phrase but "like". Those idiots on love island say it every other word. 
    “Love Island” 
    Another one from there - 'shoot your shot' . 
  • Options
    "Hopefully" is almost always misused. It means "in a hopeful manner", not "I hope".
    I hope you've got that.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Someone I work with:

”Been” instead of being
    And ”Across the piste...”   

And don’t get me started on “across the piece”..
  • Options
    Lurking with intent.