Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    Jints said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Where shall I start?  Train Station instead of Railway Station. Big Ben's Bongs instead of Chimes. Absolutly instead of just plain Yes.  Schedule and not sckedule. Me and my friend (or whoever) instead of My friend (or whoever) and I.  I could go on,  but at this moment in time, and at the end of the day, that will have to do.                                                   
    "Train Station" is one of my hates too. Another Americanism.
    A fact that has always tickled me is that the Russian word for railway station - Voksal - is based on Vauxhall in South London.
    Technically a terminus, coined by one of the Tsar's foreign ministers after a visit to Vauxhall.  Helps that the Russian word for hall is also 'zal'.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    See it, say it, sorted
    They even have posters of this up at The Valley now. Inane nonsense.
    The Erectile dysfunction one totally ruins the second half for me.
  • Options
    “Prostrate” instead of prostate

”Haitch” instead of aitch.
  • Options
    This train terminates at Charing Cross. Surely, it finishes its journey there then turns round and heads somewhere else.

• Options
    Football players being described like "a false nine", "he's a number ten"

Never hear of players being described as a "number three" or "number five", that's because they're called left backs and centre backs

There is no set definition for every shirt on the pitch, talk of "false nine" and "number ten" all a myth IMO
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Stig said:
    See it, say it, sorted
    They even have posters of this up at The Valley now. Inane nonsense.
    The Erectile dysfunction one totally ruins the second half for me.
    Erectile Dysfunction - See it, Say it, Sorted!

Nah, it's not doing anything for me either.
  • Options
    "living their best life". Stop being so earnest for god's sake
  • Options
    On being asked a question or a view on something, so many people start with yeah, no.

And note to self, don't say can I get a bacon buttie in the morning lol
  • Options
    Woke.
    Woke is (or was) the past participle of the verb to wake. It is now used as an adjective to mean 'aware of social injustice, especially racism."
    "Awake" already has that meaning as an adjective so there is no need to coin a new meaning for "woke".
    Similar to "my bad" which also grates like nails on a blackboard. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People calling me or referring to me as “fella”
  • Options
    People that use lastminute.com within a sentence about how they've not organised something they should have organised earlier. 

eg> 'i'm so lastminute.com' 

You're just $hit and a $hitter human being for saying that line. 
    Any use of an advertising slogan in conversation can fuck off. Simples, should have gone to specsavers etc. 
  • Options
    And ‘bruv’
  • Options
    We’ll be ok once the injured players come back 
  • Options
    Describing footballers as ‘decent’. What does that mean? He doesn’t walk down the High Street with his todger hanging out? He always remembers his mum’s birthday?

• Options
    And ‘bruv’
    Ok Blud 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Where shall I start?  Train Station instead of Railway Station. Big Ben's Bongs instead of Chimes. Absolutly instead of just plain Yes.  Schedule and not sckedule. Me and my friend (or whoever) instead of My friend (or whoever) and I.  I could go on,  but at this moment in time, and at the end of the day, that will have to do.                                                   
    My friend and I agree with most of this, especially 'sckedule' which drives us both crazy. Me and my friend are not necessarily wrong though, as long as we are the object and not the subject of the sentence.
    Me and my friend is wrong even as the object. Second person, third person then first person is the correct order in which to refer to people in such a situation. 
    Thanks AddicksAddict, my friend and I weren't aware of that. But apparently word ordering can be quite complex and can vary depending on situation. For example in a situation involving an apology or admission of guilt, it's etiquette for the first person to shoulder the blame by putting themself first. 
    I wasn't aware of that but it makes sense.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    "Train Station" is one of my hates too. Another Americanism.
    A fact that has always tickled me is that the Russian word for railway station - Voksal - is based on Vauxhall in South London.
    And the French for a quick service restaurant, bistro, is probably from the Russian "bystro" which means rapidly.
  • Options
    People using the phrase “Announce ******” 50 times a day on every Charlton related tweet and message.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    My friend and I agree with most of this, especially 'sckedule' which drives us both crazy. Me and my friend are not necessarily wrong though, as long as we are the object and not the subject of the sentence.
    Me and my friend is wrong even as the object. Second person, third person then first person is the correct order in which to refer to people in such a situation. 
    Thanks AddicksAddict, my friend and I weren't aware of that. But apparently word ordering can be quite complex and can vary depending on situation. For example in a situation involving an apology or admission of guilt, it's etiquette for the first person to shoulder the blame by putting themself first. 
    I wasn't aware of that but it makes sense.
    I wasn't either until I checked it, but I remember hearing a Fry's English Delight programme about word order and being amazed the unwritten rules we have for word order. The amazing thing is that most of us wouldn't be able to give a good description of the rules or how they operate yet, for the most part, we instinctively subconsciously get it right all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Steve McManaman using the phrase to be very honest about 12 times very match.  Honest is fine by itself you scouse twonk.

BTW the phrases I really hate have already been cited by others - going forward and moving forward.

As well as usually being tautologies in the context used, both are solecisms.  The words going and moving are adjectives used to enhance a noun, whereas forward is not usually a noun but either another adjective or an adverb.  But it might work in football, I suppose - the moving forward could be used to describe Lyall Taylor.
  • Options
    My bad

'Can I get' instead of 'Can I have'
    This.
  • Options
    Not really a saying but when people say Eggsit instead of Exit dunno why but it irks me.
  • Options
    '24/7...'

Go 69/1 you tosspoteer

• Options
    Boutique
    Bespoke
    Craft
    Artisan

The middle classes cream themselves over these 4.  'hey Tarquin, fancy going for an artisan craft Gregg's sausage roll?'
  • Options
    '24/7...'

Go 69/1 you tosspoteer

Worse still, 24/7/365

Why do you even need the 365? Idiots.
  • Options
    Some pearlers here 

My particular favourite/worst one 

It is what it is 

The phrase of the vacuous 
  • Options
    IdleHans said: