Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    'you don't understand'

'haven't been educated'

Two phrases used by people that believe their opinion is superior to everyone (unless others completely agree with them). Go to phrases for absolute arseholes.

Morning!!
    Who do you support again? ;)
  • Options
    'you don't understand'

'haven't been educated'

Two phrases used by people that believe their opinion is superior to everyone (unless others completely agree with them). Go to phrases for absolute arseholes.

Morning!!
    Who do you support again? ;)
    The same club that the real Dave Mehmet supports  ;)
  • Options
    This one’s a film cliche rather than real life, but maybe that’s the point. When’s the last time anybody said, in real life... ‘you just don’t get it, do you?’

https://youtu.be/4KoKWf6pLs8
  • Options
    "Synergy" 

"Juxtapose" 

have we done the whole "I could care less" vs. "I couldn't care less thing?" The former being an American thing. 
  • Options
    excessive use of absolutely at work and can i get really annoys me in shops.
  • Options
    Not so much phrases, but the incorrect use of:

there, their, they're;

of, off;

too, to;

your, you're;

where, were;

really winds me up! Gets worse as I get older! I actually look for it!  :#
    Lose/loose is a common one on here
  • Options
    Not so much phrases, but the incorrect use of:

there, their, they're;

of, off;

too, to;

your, you're;

where, were;

really winds me up! Gets worse as I get older! I actually look for it!  :#
    A bloke I work with uses “his” instead of “he’s” all of the time. Really winds me up 😄

I know someone who does that, but the other way around!  "That's he's car"
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    "Synergy" 

"Juxtapose" 

have we done the whole "I could care less" vs. "I couldn't care less thing?" The former being an American thing. the logical juxtaposition to what is actually meant.
     ;) 
  • Options
    TTFN

cringe
  • Options
    Staycation. Not just the word itself but also that a lot of people don't know what it means, they think it means holidaying in this country. It doesnt, it means having a holiday at home. 
    If that was originally the definition, it seems accepted that its meaning has expanded to include not going abroad:-

Macmillan
    holiday in which you stay at home and visit places near to where you live, or a holiday in your own country

Cambridge
    holiday that someone spends in their own country or at homerather than travelling somewhere else

Collins
    A staycation is a holiday that you spend in your own home or your own country, relaxing and enjoying leisure activities there.

Dictionary.com
    vacation spent at home or near home, doing enjoyable activities or visiting local attractions.

Google definition
    a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

Lexico.com
    A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.
    Chambers Dictionary
    A period of holiday spent at one's home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Staycation. Not just the word itself but also that a lot of people don't know what it means, they think it means holidaying in this country. It doesnt, it means having a holiday at home. 
    If that was originally the definition, it seems accepted that its meaning has expanded to include not going abroad:-

Macmillan
    holiday in which you stay at home and visit places near to where you live, or a holiday in your own country

Cambridge
    holiday that someone spends in their own country or at homerather than travelling somewhere else

Collins
    A staycation is a holiday that you spend in your own home or your own country, relaxing and enjoying leisure activities there.

Dictionary.com
    vacation spent at home or near home, doing enjoyable activities or visiting local attractions.

Google definition
    a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

Lexico.com
    A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.
    Chambers Dictionary
    A period of holiday spent at one's home.
    Regardless of the dictionary definitions it is certainly the case that in the UK the term has been used by the media in prior years as meaning taking a holiday In the UK (not in your own home) rather than travelling abroad for a holiday. 
  • Options
    For many years 
  • Options
    'Level up' and 'Double down'
    e.g. "The UK's Press-up Champion will double down on levelling up"
    If I tried press-ups, I would probably double up.
  • Options
    Misuse of 'literally'. "I was so angry that my brain literally exploded".
  • Options
    'You have to understand' as part of a so called explanation or rather excuse for attempted extortion more often than not.

I don't see how I have to understand when what you propose is gobbledygook, or fraudulent in that I do not receive what I have paid for.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    This one’s a film cliche rather than real life, but maybe that’s the point. When’s the last time anybody said, in real life... ‘you just don’t get it, do you?’

https://youtu.be/4KoKWf6pLs8
    This is good.  My favourite occurs in movies and plays when the listener extols the raconteur (who has conveniently paused) to "Go on."  How often have you ever heard that in real life?

I can live with 'absolutely' … but have you noticed how most of the Government ministers use 'absly' as they mimic Boris-speak?

• Options
    "We're all in this together".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'No reason why' when people are trying to force a mindset on others by making it seem that any stance other than theirs is reprehensible. It's an isolation tactic.

'Are you saying' or 'So what you are saying is...'. Again, another couple that are used, generally, by arseholes that have far too high an opinion of themselves. So much so that others' words get jumbled in their heads and rejigged in to what they wanted the other person to say so as to frame their words to suit the arseholes narrative.
  • Options
    'No reason why' when people are trying to force a mindset on others by making it seem that any stance other than theirs is reprehensible. It's an isolation tactic.

'Are you saying' or 'So what you are saying is...'. Again, another couple that are used, generally, by arseholes that have far too high an opinion of themselves. So much so that others' words get jumbled in their heads and rejigged in to what they wanted the other person to say so as to frame their words to suit the arseholes narrative.
    You sure you're Millwall :)
  • Options
    Definitely seems to be used a lot nowadays.
  • Options
    People who start every sentence with so
    Agree with this.

Unfortunately I've occasionally used it myself recently and now trying to make a conscious effort not to 
  • Options
    Heads Up
  • Options
    I'm not gonna lie...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Misuse of 'literally'. "I was so angry that my brain literally exploded".
    Americans on Reddit argue against this. They cite Shakespeare who didn’t use literally literally. They say that the English language is always evolving. 

To them I say, go fuck yourselves. Literally is a really useful word in its literal sense. You’re not evolving jack shit. You’re dumbing it down. 
    People who misuse the word literally only do so because they haven’t been introduced to the word figuratively
  • Options
    Boom
  • Options
    "What are you doing in my garden"