Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    "Reach out" is another one.
  • Options
    Town hall meeting. 
    Before we had this phrase we managed to describe meetings correctly.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    "Reach out" is another one.
    "Reach round" is worse.
  • Options
    Anyone that starts an answer with.......SO
    I am glad you agree, I said this earlier in the thread, it seems to be the in word at the moment
  • Options
    'Shout out' as in 'We'll be devoting the next hour of the show to giving a shout out to anyone you think deserves it.'
    What's wrong with 'praising', 'mentioning', 'congratulating' etc?
    Why does it have to be so loud?
    No one shouts it anyway.
    I hate that one too.
  • Options
    ‘I’ll tell you for free’ normally followed by a bullshit rant that you wouldn’t ever have paid money for, 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    A big shout out for @captainbob and @Wheresmeticket? I make them both right. ;)
    And I'll tell you that for free!
  • Options
    Aw, shucks. That's really kind, @TCE...hey, hang on...!
  • Options
    “You can go ahead and...”

It’s an innocuous phrase but Americans on ‘How To’ YouTube videos use it and it drives me crazy. It’s as if employing the phrase makes them feel like they’re bona fide instructors. Like driving instructors. When in reality, they’re telling me how to complete a level on a video game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must have been mentioned before:

’Let’s reach out to x or y’

Yep ok, great track by the four tops. Not a phrase to use unless you reference the four tops. 

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Anyone that starts an answer with.......SO
    I am glad you agree, I said this earlier in the thread, it seems to be the in word at the moment
    Same here, mentioned by me as well!!
  • Options
    Sew, best way to self produce face masks 😂
  • Options
    Wild Swimming, instead of just swimming
    'taking the knee', used to b called kneeling down
  • Options
    The overuse and absolute misuse of the word “awesome”

eg. I got those meat pies you like ; Awesome.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    The overuse and absolute misuse of the word “awesome”

eg. I got those meat pies you like ; Awesome.
    Are they the new handcrafted artisanal Fray Bentos pies with Romanian donkey meat? They are awesome

Americans saying 'pissed' when the correct Queens English term is 'raging hump'.

Any silicon valley tech company that describes the cheap labour they use as 'Partners', instead of the more appropriate 'exploitee'
  • Options
    Anything ending in ista like Guardianista and Fashionista. One good thing about the Demise of Corbyn is that we no longer have to put up with the insufferable 'Corbynista'.  
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Anything ending in ista like Guardianista and Fashionista. One good thing about the Demise of Corbyn is that we no longer have to put up with the insufferable 'Corbynista'.  
    As an extension of the above the adding of “-gate” to any situation to creat a “scandal”!
  • Options
    Charlton nil. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    As an extension of the above the adding of “-gate” to any situation to creat a “scandal”!
    Garden?
  • Options
    "Ramped up" is becoming annoying through its overuse.
  • Options
    Not so much phrases, but the incorrect use of:

there, their, they're;

of, off;

too, to;

your, you're;

where, were;

really winds me up! Gets worse as I get older! I actually look for it!  :#
  • Options
    Not so much phrases, but the incorrect use of:

there, their, they're;

of, off;

too, to;

your, you're;

where, were;

really winds me up! Gets worse as I get older! I actually look for it!  :#
    A bloke I work with uses “his” instead of “he’s” all of the time. Really winds me up 😄
  • Options
    Staycation. Not just the word itself but also that a lot of people don't know what it means, they think it means holidaying in this country. It doesnt, it means having a holiday at home. 
  • Options
    Unbelievable. 

I’d love for every pundit to lose their match day fee if they say that word once on air.

I’d ban it along with ‘toptop’. 
  • Options
    Forward planning. What other sort of planning is there? Backward planning?
  • Options
    Staycation. Not just the word itself but also that a lot of people don't know what it means, they think it means holidaying in this country. It doesnt, it means having a holiday at home. 
    If that was originally the definition, it seems accepted that its meaning has expanded to include not going abroad:-

Macmillan
    holiday in which you stay at home and visit places near to where you live, or a holiday in your own country

Cambridge
    holiday that someone spends in their own country or at homerather than travelling somewhere else

Collins
    A staycation is a holiday that you spend in your own home or your own country, relaxing and enjoying leisure activities there.

Dictionary.com
    vacation spent at home or near home, doing enjoyable activities or visiting local attractions.

Google definition
    a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

Lexico.com
    A holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.
  • Options
    'you don't understand'

'haven't been educated'

Two phrases used by people that believe their opinion is superior to everyone (unless others completely agree with them). Go to phrases for absolute arseholes.

Morning!!