Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    "I feel" when talking about factual situations, for example, "I feel global warming is going to lead to chaos".  I don't care what your emotions tell you, I want to know what you're thinking.

The example you gave quite fair but not much worth discussing has been absolutely factually determinated.

How you feel about something is an emotion that can lead you to your opinion on it, isn't it?

Is 'I feel' much different to 'it seems to me?'

• Options
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone else has said it, but in football when someone talks about "Your Lampards, your Gerrards, your Rooneys..." etc

There's one of each.  Just say "Players like Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney...."
    saw this and thought of your post

https://youtu.be/uywyPL2kEEI
    That is brilliant. It's a pet hate of mine too. It's not so bad if someone just pluralises one player, it's when they do so making a long list of players that really bugs me.
  • Options
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone else has said it, but in football when someone talks about "Your Lampards, your Gerrards, your Rooneys..." etc

There's one of each.  Just say "Players like Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney...."
    saw this and thought of your post

https://youtu.be/uywyPL2kEEI
    That is brilliant. It's a pet hate of mine too. It's not so bad if someone just pluralises one player, it's when they do so making a long list of players that really bugs me.
    I think the last part of that sketch is based on a Jim Mclean interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7P7XJxATAA
  • Options
    Do I like it when people say 'it is what it is'? No. Do I like it when people say, ' As you do'? No. Do I like it when people ask themselves questions? Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Five year plan
    Visionary...
  • Options
    I've seen a few 'Change tacts' on here lately; it should be 'Change tack' as in the direction of a boat.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've seen a few 'Change tacts' on here lately; it should be 'Change tack' as in the direction of a boat.
    This season's a bit of a damp squid already.
  • Options
    my bad

Can I get? instead of Can I have?
  • Options
    "The same people that do/like/support 'x' are the same people that do/like/support 'y'".

Yet another nonsensical and without merit statement that is usually exerted to attempt to gain control of an argument or dialogue. Usually to make the claimant feel better about the situation.

Classic horseshittery in full effect.

• Options
    Deli, why are all the pundits calling this knob by his first name when most other players get referred too by their surname. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Peace and love".
    FFS Ringo, you imbecile  ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    McDelivery.
  • Options
    Strawmanning 
  • Options
    We move on.
  • Options
    95 per cent of footballers when interviewed now say at some point 'as I said' when they hadn't previously said it anyway.

Occasionally they say 'as I say' when they hadn't previously said it in the interview, so are we supposed to conclude then that they often say it off camera?

• Options
    Deli, why are all the pundits calling this knob by his first name when most other players get referred too by their surname. 
    I think he asked for that on account of not liking his dad. 
  • Options
    Any time somebody says "In many ways..." I want you to demand that they name three or more ways. I bet they can only name two. Which, of course, does not qualify as 'many'. 

• Options
    "Thoughts and prayers" - A completely meaningless and hollow statement.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Macronate said:
    McDelivery.
    Mc anything, I will never ask for a McMuffin, I always ask for "a Luke warm muffin with small pieces of eggshell included please"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Thoughts and prayers" - A completely meaningless and hollow statement.
    Especially the prayers bit.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Macronate said:
    McDelivery.
    Mc anything, I will never ask for a McMuffin!
    McNuffin then
  • Options
    Replacing Little with Lil
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Replacing Little with Lil
    I quite agree Grio
  • Options
    The continual overuse of the word 'iconic', which used to be rightfully reserved for the likes of Freddie Mercury and David Bowie etc, but now seems to be used for a Wayne Rooney goal away to Derby fifteen years ago, or some reality star that has fallen on hard times.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Hal1x said:
    Macronate said:
    McDelivery.
    Mc anything, I will never ask for a McMuffin, I always ask for "a Luke warm muffin with small pieces of eggshell included please"
    I’m a Mc, right meet you at Mckro car park.
  • Options
    “Can I get….”
    Nobody seems to say 'Can I have' anymore...
  • Options
    Used to sit in a cafe just off Golden Square most mornings, listening to people say "Can I get...." one after the other